News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Where do we need interstates?

Started by Voyager, January 20, 2009, 06:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager

If you look at a map of the United States, where do you think are the places that need a new Interstate added to them?
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

agentsteel53

I had mentioned some for the west in another post...

I-3 (or even I-101, if they can make an I-1) for US-101 between LA and San Francisco

I-7 for US-97 corridor on the eastern side of the Cascades in Oregon; going maybe even as far south as I-5 in Weed and as far north as to be a renumbering of I-82

I-9 for US-99 between the southern terminus (almost the Grapevine) and Sacramento

I-11 for US-395 between Victorville (southern Terminus) to north of Reno, maybe even as far as Susanville

I-13 for US-95 corridor south of Las Vegas.  This presents a numbering difficulty, but no other two-digit numbers are available.  Maybe I-915?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

An Interstate that allows you to bypass Atlanta and its sprawl.  :-o

ComputerGuy

A new Seattle bypass (I-605)

A freeway spur from Kelso, WA to Aberdeen, WA (I-105)

agentsteel53

or a Los Angeles bypass, for that matter.  Upgrading CA-138 to a full freeway would go a long way towards that, going from the Grapevine all the way to Cajon Pass. 

Then, another freeway upgrade would be 18 from the 138 split, across 15 (thereby avoiding Cajon Pass), onto the 247 at Lucerne Valley, down to the 62 at Morongo Valley.  To connect to I-10 here would be a bit iffy - either by backtracking along CA-62, or by going southeast but a freeway through Joshua Park would be rather fecal, so maybe a full freeway upgrade to CA-62 into Parker, then down AZ-72 to US-60 into Phoenix. 

not that Phoenix needs any more development.  the best way to solve Phoenix's problems is atomic testing, but that's neither here nor there.

I would call the 138-18-247-62-72-60 freeway I-14.  It would have course mean having to renumber CA-14 (because a 14/14 junction is just a bit iffy) so why not bring back the US-6 designation for that route?

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

another way to bypass LA is to build two freeways: I-5X and I-10X.  Put them on top of I-5 and I-10, respectively.  (Earthquake concern?  What's an earthquake concern?).  Exits on I-5X only at I-405, I-10X, I-405 again, and CA-1 at Dana Point.  Exits on I-10X only at I-5X (terminus) and US-99 in Indio.

oh, hmm, seems like they renumbered US-99 to CA-86S.  Well, to commemorate old US-99 (which is what half of I-5X and all of I-10X would follow)... looks like we've got ourselves a new speed limit!

jake@aaroads.com

ComputerGuy

Voyager

With how much area Los Angeles takes up, a bypass of the city just doesn't seem very plausible. It would take about 8 hours to completely bypass the city from say Camp Pendleton to the Grapevine, and the sprawl would just start to build back up right there. I agree that something is needed, but a complete bypass just doesn't seem like the best idea.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Alex

Quote from: voyager on January 20, 2009, 06:32:54 PM
With how much area Los Angeles takes up, a bypass of the city just doesn't seem very plausible. It would take about 8 hours to completely bypass the city from say Camp Pendleton to the Grapevine, and the sprawl would just start to build back up right there. I agree that something is needed, but a complete bypass just doesn't seem like the best idea.

The Metropolitan Bypass was one that was planned along the California 138 corridor. The interchange between it and The 5 is a result of the original plan. I don't believe that its completely dead yet, but highly improbable.

vdeane

Something between I-81 and I-87 in northern NY.  It could even be extended into Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine as a major east-west road (could call it I-98).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

deathtopumpkins

I think that building an interstate to replace VA- & NC-168 and US-158 would be a valuable asset to Northeastern North Carolina and Southeastern Virginia. The 4 lanes they are currently is barely enough as it is, even with 5-minute delays on the cross-street stoplights to keep people moving it slows to a crawl for about 100 miles during the summer. Too many people traveling to the Outer Banks from Hampton Roads I guess. I think an interstate would clear it up pretty well as on the northern portion of VA-168, the Chesapeake Expressway, traffic hardly ever backs up. And the highway is already an extension of I-464, so just sign it as such!  :nod:
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

akotchi

Two suggestions:

A north-south route between the Penn. Turnpike NE Ext. and the New Jersey Turnpike.

A north-south route east of I-95 nearer to the coast in North and South Carolina, from Virginia Beach, VA, to Savannah, GA.  There are pieces already that seem to provide a good start.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

deathtopumpkins

Ahh yes, that's a good idea.  :) Tack it onto the end of VA-168 and brand it as the REAL I-95!  :-P The approximate route of US-17 would be a good route to follow, and there are already a few stretches of freeway, if my memory serves me well.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alex

There was once a freeway touted for the U.S. 1 and U.S. 202 corridor from Maryland northward into central New Jersey. I believe that it was called the Piedmont Freeway, but unfortunately it was never fully realized. Portions of the Oxford Bypass and the Doylestown Bypass were a result of these early plans I believe.

John

Yeah, I always wondered where those came from. What about the Newtown bypass, same deal? A good interstate (which is going to happen, I may add) is I-7 for CA-99 from Wheeler Ridge to Sacramento. That road is an overcrowded mess, they need more money to fix it, and with California broke, federal funding is the only money they can get. And while they're putting up new signage, they could do some historic US-99 shields.
They came, they went, they took my image...

rawr apples

They should extend I-275 in detroit north to I-75, like originally planned
Now shut up and drivee

Tarkus

Quote from: ComputerGuy on January 20, 2009, 06:32:48 PM
A bypass of Spokane, Washington

Already in the works, actually.  Albeit it's a bypass through some of the northern part of town, the North Spokane Corridor.

And while I am a big freeway buff, I'd prefer that US-97 not get *gasp* decommissioned in favor of an I-7.  97 has sentimental value for me.  :)  I do, however, think I-82 should get renumbered.  It's totally out of place since they renumbered I-80N as I-84.  It's going North-South at both its termini (I-84 on the South near Hermiston, I-90 on the North at Ellensburg), so it would make sense to just call it I-7 now.

-Alex (Tarkus)

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 20, 2009, 10:32:07 PM
I think that building an interstate to replace VA- & NC-168 and US-158 would be a valuable asset to Northeastern North Carolina and Southeastern Virginia. The 4 lanes they are currently is barely enough as it is, even with 5-minute delays on the cross-street stoplights to keep people moving it slows to a crawl for about 100 miles during the summer. Too many people traveling to the Outer Banks from Hampton Roads I guess. I think an interstate would clear it up pretty well as on the northern portion of VA-168, the Chesapeake Expressway, traffic hardly ever backs up. And the highway is already an extension of I-464, so just sign it as such!  :nod:

Probably better to renumber it to I-364 if that happens.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alex

My fictional Interstate 50 upgrades the U.S. 17 corridor southwest to Elizabeth City and then west to Williamston, then following the U.S. 64 corridor west to Raleigh. There was a failed plan for a U.S. 17 limited access highway leading south from Interstate 64 to the state line at one point IIRC, so part of my idea had some merit!  :spin:

agentsteel53

is that too-close-for-comfort to US-50?  Maybe I-48?

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Well technically U.S. 50 and Interstate 50 would be in the same state, but with U.S. 74 and Interstate 74 sharing pavement, I think we can throw that out the window. Otherwise its far enough south to not warrant confusion.

agentsteel53

Quote from: aaroads on January 21, 2009, 01:52:41 AM
U.S. 74 and Interstate 74 sharing pavement

why, oh most sawtoothed and pain-wielding Jesus, WHY!!???

was 74 the first interstate freeway to run wild like that, showing up in random areas of the country, before I-69 was a gleam in anyone's demented spherical eye?

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Well in the post-Temp Interstate era, yes.

agentsteel53

Quote from: aaroads on January 21, 2009, 01:59:42 AM

where did temporary interstates run wild?

also, when was that US-90 loop in Louisiana first signed as Future I-49?

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 21, 2009, 02:12:10 AM
Quote from: aaroads on January 21, 2009, 01:59:42 AM

where did temporary interstates run wild?

also, when was that US-90 loop in Louisiana first signed as Future I-49?
1999 on Future Interstate 49 I think

The last Temp Interstate was Temp Interstate 77 in Columbia. I was fortunate enough to see signs for it in 1988.

They were mainly used out west with a few instances back east, such as Interstate 275 in Pinellas County, Florida.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with them, and that they could easily be used for the Interstate 22 corridor until its finished connecting with Interstate 65 in 2011 or 2012.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.