News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Tappan Zee work started?

Started by Pete from Boston, May 30, 2013, 06:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnutella

By the way, that falcon's next on top of the existing Tappan Zee Bridge just goes to show you how adaptable animals are. It reminds me of the eagle's nest I saw on a sign gantry over I-4 in Orlando, and it also goes to show how unadaptable we've become as humans. If endangered birds are content with their habitat above a busy Interstate highway, then NIMBYs clearly lack the adaptation skills to survive as any other kind of animal, since no other animal relies on lawyers to live life the way it wants to.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Gnutella on February 26, 2016, 02:19:44 PM
By the way, that falcon's next on top of the existing Tappan Zee Bridge just goes to show you how adaptable animals are. It reminds me of the eagle's nest I saw on a sign gantry over I-4 in Orlando, and it also goes to show how unadaptable we've become as humans. If endangered birds are content with their habitat above a busy Interstate highway, then NIMBYs clearly lack the adaptation skills to survive as any other kind of animal, since no other animal relies on lawyers to live life the way it wants to.

Similarly, much was made of the presence of several bald eagles on the Prince George's County, Maryland side of the (old) Woodrow Wilson Bridge (I-95) in the 1990's by persons and groups opposed to rebuilding the crossing (now thankfully complete).

Turned out the eagles were not especially bothered by the construction (the project had at least one wildlife biologist on staff who was responsible for monitoring the well-being of the eagles).  The biggest problem might have been a home-wrecking female that muscled-in on a mated pair and badly injured the female half of the couple.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kkt

I think the outward slanting towers look kinda weird.  If they're not vertical, they should be slanted inward, making more of an A shape, for the appearance of solidity.

jeffandnicole

May not work functionity-wise though.

storm2k

Not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere, but the Times had a lengthy article about working at the new bridge site a few months ago: Braving the Elements Atop the New Tappan Zee Bridge.

empirestate

The towers of the replacement span are now taller than the existing bridge.

iPhone

froggie

Nice view from the tracks (if ignoring the iffy sun angle).  Metro North or Empire Service?

empirestate

Quote from: froggie on June 30, 2016, 03:10:04 PM
Nice view from the tracks (if ignoring the iffy sun angle).  Metro North or Empire Service?

Metro North, my regular commute. There's been steady progress on the installation of steel as well, the biggest obstacle now being the existing span at the Westchester landing.

iPhone

D-Dey65

Quote from: empirestate on June 30, 2016, 05:16:42 PM
Metro North, my regular commute. There's been steady progress on the installation of steel as well, the biggest obstacle now being the existing span at the Westchester landing.
I finally saw the construction of the bridge from the Hudson Line, as I was snapping pictures of the stations in southwestern Westchester a few days ago.

Strider

Any updates on the new Tappan Zee (NY Bridge) construction? I went to the website and couldn't find new pictures. Maybe someone in here knows what's up.

Alps

Quote from: Strider on July 15, 2016, 12:00:29 AM
Any updates on the new Tappan Zee (NY Bridge) construction? I went to the website and couldn't find new pictures. Maybe someone in here knows what's up.
It's ongoing.

empirestate

The towers of the replacement span are now taller than the existing bridge. ;-)

iPhone

Strider

Quote from: empirestate on July 16, 2016, 09:59:14 AM

iPhone

Awesome! I also watched the video about it. Are they trying to open one span of the new bridge and then move traffic on one of the spans while building the other span to connect with the road, thus closing the original Tappan Zee bridge?

empirestate

Quote from: Strider on July 17, 2016, 06:29:05 PM

iPhone

Awesome! I also watched the video about it. Are they trying to open one span of the new bridge and then move traffic on one of the spans while building the other span to connect with the road, thus closing the original Tappan Zee bridge?

I would assume they'll have to. They won't be able to connect the new south span to the Westchester landing without demolishing part of the existing bridge; I assume the situation's the same in Rockland. I don't know if they'll move all traffic to the north span at first, or keep eastbound traffic on the old bridge with some kind of temporary structure at the landings.

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on July 18, 2016, 08:56:50 AM

iPhone

I would assume they'll have to. They won't be able to connect the new south span to the Westchester landing without demolishing part of the existing bridge; I assume the situation's the same in Rockland. I don't know if they'll move all traffic to the north span at first, or keep eastbound traffic on the old bridge with some kind of temporary structure at the landings.

Yes. All traffic is being moved to the new bridge. It'll be wide enough for 8 full-sized lanes with no shoulders. Each new bridge will be wider than the current bridge (roughly 96 each vs 90 current). The ped path will be added after the south span is built, so that will be one of the lanes.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Strider

Quote from: cl94 on July 18, 2016, 11:42:19 AM
Quote from: empirestate on July 18, 2016, 08:56:50 AM

iPhone

Yes. All traffic is being moved to the new bridge. It'll be wide enough for 8 full-sized lanes with no shoulders. Each new bridge will be wider than the current bridge (roughly 96 each vs 90 current). The ped path will be added after the south span is built, so that will be one of the lanes.

Cool! I may need to find a time to drive on the original bridge for the last time before they move traffic on a new span, or else I'd be driving on a new span in 2017 when traffic is being moved. I remembered every time I drove on the original bridge, it was ROUGH. Maybe the new span will give me a better and higher view of NYC skyline.

NJRoadfan

Since no one linked the video:

cl94

Amazingly, it's actually relatively on schedule. The light winter certainly helped with that. With how wide each span will be, they'll theoretically be able to fit 6 lanes/direction if needed (without full-width shoulders, of course). One shoulder will be a bus lane during rush hours. Having 4 standard-width lanes in each direction with shoulders should do a lot to reduce traffic in the area. Granted, a mass transit option would have been great, but we can't have everything.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

cl94

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 19, 2016, 12:52:35 PM
This may set things back a bit:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/19/crane-collapses-on-tappan-zee-bridge-outside-new-york-city.html

Local source that's likely to be updated regularly: http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/2016/07/19/crane-collapses-closes-tappan-zee-bridge/87290800/

Well, that's now 4 Hudson River crossings with major issues in the past 36 hours. NY 7 bridge in Troy had a major accident a couple hours ago and yesterday was the Lincoln and GW.

vdeane

I was under the impression that each span was to be 4 regular lanes, 1 bus/emergency lane, and full width shoulders, not busses running in the shoulders.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on July 19, 2016, 01:12:40 PM
I was under the impression that each span was to be 4 regular lanes, 1 bus/emergency lane, and full width shoulders, not busses running in the shoulders.

All the mockups show 4 lanes plus shoulders, each with lane control signs allowing anything to be used as a lane. The north span, which will have the walking path, will be 96 feet wide. With 4 12' lanes, 12' shoulders and allowing for support structures and railings, that allows for a ~10' walking path. Everything I have seen shows the left shoulder being opened to buses.

empirestate

So, just to summarize the current extent of delays caused by the closure of the Tappan Zee (from looking at Google Maps):

Bear Mountain Bridge approaches–Palisades jammed at US 6; US 9 backed up all the way through Peekskill and Montrose to about Cortlandt Station; NY 9D stalled through Manitou. Obviously the Goat Trail is completely packed and the Bear Mountain Pkwy. is tight to Highland Ave. Looks like US 202 is also filled up through Crompond, as traffic tries to come off the Taconic Parkway (which is itself looking clear).

GWB approaches–I-95 is backed up to the I-80 split, and the Cross Bronx/New England Thruway is stop-and-go through New Rochelle. I-87 is full from the Triborough to the Cross County, as is most of the Bruckner. FDR Drive is screwed all the way from Brooklyn Bridge, and the West Side Highway is backed up almost to the Lincoln Tunnel, which is likewise no picnic. The BQE going into the Queens-Midtown Tunnel is also a lost cause. Henry Hudson Parkway is out of luck up into Yonkers, and the Bronx River into Mt. Vernon.

Damn.

cl94

Yeah, I posted a similar thing on the Thruway thread. Thruway SB is backed up to Woodbury. Newburgh-Beacon is now stop and go with an accident WB. Traffic heading to the bridge is backed up through the Exit 17 tolls and east to Danbury in both directions.

empirestate

Yeah, looks like it's getting worse before it gets better. I-95 is now backed up through to Mamaroneck, as is the Hutch from I-287, along with the Cross County itself. On the other side, the NJ Turnpike is backed up nearly to the Lincoln Tunnel. And now I see there's some kind of closure on the Cross Island Parkway, taking the Throgs Neck Bridge somewhat out of commission?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.