News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Tappan Zee work started?

Started by Pete from Boston, May 30, 2013, 06:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: cl94 on April 03, 2017, 11:15:13 AMThe lower toll was a mistake. NYSTA has had transponder discrimination for years.
Well then, I have several years of E-ZPass statements containing this... mistake for my Tappan Zee Bridge crossings.  :wow:

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on April 03, 2017, 01:14:03 PM
The NYSTA stopped the E-Z Pass discount for out of state vehicles this year.
I think you meant out-of-state accounts.  Such would explain it.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

NYSTA only just started transponder discrimination this year.  The MTA, however, has discriminated for a long time now.  Where this becomes confusing is because most people don't take the time to note that roads in NY are maintained by over a dozen different agencies, so instead of saying "the MTA crossings engage in transponder discrimination", they'd say "NY engages in transponder discrimination".  The toll rates are set by the individual agencies, not the NY service center.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Very few people can keep track of the policies of the various agencies, even most of us road people. Too damn confusing. Even if NYSTA just started, MTA definitely discriminated and I think NYSBA has for a while. Don't think any of the Niagara Falls bridges do. That being said, people in CT have had NY accounts for years because of the MTA discrimination.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

RobbieL2415

Quote from: cl94 on April 03, 2017, 09:35:32 PM
Very few people can keep track of the policies of the various agencies, even most of us road people. Too damn confusing. Even if NYSTA just started, MTA definitely discriminated and I think NYSBA has for a while. Don't think any of the Niagara Falls bridges do. That being said, people in CT have had NY accounts for years because of the MTA discrimination.
What will be interesting is if cashless tolling comes to CT.  Assuming the General Assembly creates a tolling authority that issues its own E-Z Pass transponders AND the institute an in-state discount, there will be a lot of in-state motorists with out-of-state tags paying more.

empirestate

In other news, the gap is closed:

iPhone

Mergingtraffic

Will they do a public walk through like they did when the new Q-Bridge opened in CT?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

cl94

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 19, 2017, 03:08:45 PM
Will they do a public walk through like they did when the new Q-Bridge opened in CT?

I doubt it due to length and security concerns
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

abqtraveler

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 03, 2017, 10:24:01 PM
Quote from: cl94 on April 03, 2017, 09:35:32 PM
What will be interesting is if cashless tolling comes to CT.  Assuming the General Assembly creates a tolling authority that issues its own E-Z Pass transponders AND the institute an in-state discount, there will be a lot of in-state motorists with out-of-state tags paying more.

I don't foresee tolls returning to Connecticut any time soon for two reasons:  1) Republicans in the General Assembly are almost unanimous in their opposition to any form of tolling anywhere in the state, and 2) many Democrats oppose the stipulation that money collected from tolls be used solely for maintaining and upgrading Connecticut's highways (IOW they want to be able to raid the cookie jar whenever they feel like it to pay for stuff that should be covered by the state's General Fund).
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

PHLBOS

Apparently, the new bridge will be named after former-Governor Mario Cuomo; the current Governor's late father.

State Senate approves bill to name new Tappan Zee Bridge after former Gov. Mario Cuomo

It's worth noting that the original bridge's official name is Governor Malcolm Wilson Tappan Zee Bridge; the only signs that displayed the full name of the bridge were LGS' at each end.  It was named after the former governor in 1994; 20 years after he left office.

Personally, if the new bridge had to named after a former-governor; I would kept the Tappan Zee part & attached it to the former governor's name (i.e. Governor Mario M. Cuomo Tappan Zee Bridge) & signed it similar to how the current bridge was signed.  In short, don't go changing all the BGS' and put new LGS' at the ends of the new spans.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kalvado

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 22, 2017, 09:03:34 AM
Apparently, the new bridge will be named after former-Governor Mario Cuomo; the current Governor's late father.

State Senate approves bill to name new Tappan Zee Bridge after former Gov. Mario Cuomo

It's worth noting that the original bridge's official name is Governor Malcolm Wilson Tappan Zee Bridge; the only signs that displayed the full name of the bridge were LGS' at each end.  It was named after the former governor in 1994; 20 years after he left office.

Personally, if the new bridge had to named after a former-governor; I would kept the Tappan Zee part & attached it to the former governor's name (i.e. Governor Mario M. Cuomo Tappan Zee Bridge) & signed it similar to how the current bridge was signed.  In short, don't go changing all the BGS' and put new LGS' at the ends of the new spans.

Except for Mr. Cuomo II would love if the bridge would be known as "Cuomo bridge". Old name "Tappan Zee bridge" is so long, you know....

SidS1045

No it won't, at least not yet.  The bill failed to pass the state Assembly.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

kalvado

Quote from: SidS1045 on June 23, 2017, 09:22:18 AM

No it won't, at least not yet.  The bill failed to pass the state Assembly.

It didn't fail, it was a preliminary check for response. Introduced during the last days of the session, it didn't have a chance to go for a vote. Since there was no loud outcry, I would expect it to be incorporated into some must-pass bill the next year

SidS1045

Quote from: kalvado on June 23, 2017, 09:37:15 AMIt didn't fail, it was a preliminary check for response. Introduced during the last days of the session, it didn't have a chance to go for a vote. Since there was no loud outcry, I would expect it to be incorporated into some must-pass bill the next year

A distinction that is indistinguishable in the minds of the public from "didn't pass."  The same bill, introduced only a few hours earlier in the Senate, passed easily.  The Assembly speaker said his chamber was "not ready to vote" on it without time for discussion.

A similar proposal, to correct a long-standing slight to Italian-Americans by adding a second "z" to the official name of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, trod the same path...passed the Senate and not the Assembly.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

cl94

Quote from: SidS1045 on June 23, 2017, 03:20:10 PM
Quote from: kalvado on June 23, 2017, 09:37:15 AMIt didn't fail, it was a preliminary check for response. Introduced during the last days of the session, it didn't have a chance to go for a vote. Since there was no loud outcry, I would expect it to be incorporated into some must-pass bill the next year

A distinction that is indistinguishable in the minds of the public from "didn't pass."  The same bill, introduced only a few hours earlier in the Senate, passed easily.  The Assembly speaker said his chamber was "not ready to vote" on it without time for discussion.

A similar proposal, to correct a long-standing slight to Italian-Americans by adding a second "z" to the official name of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, trod the same path...passed the Senate and not the Assembly.

Precisely. It's a fail and this happens quite often. Heck, the bill outlawing child marriage took how many years to get through?

Granted, I like the proposal to name the bridge after Pete Seeger. From the area and he's the one who spearheaded the movement to clean up the river.

Alps

Quote from: SidS1045 on June 23, 2017, 03:20:10 PM

Which tells you that the Assembly has common sense and cares about things that actually matter.

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on June 23, 2017, 04:36:42 PM
It's a fail and this happens quite often. Heck, the bill outlawing child marriage took how many years to get through?
Not quite.  Cuomo is likely to call the legislature back for a special session because of the big issue with NYC mayoral control of schools.  If that happens, the assembly could still vote on it.

Quote from: Alps on June 23, 2017, 06:55:00 PM
Which tells you that the Assembly has common sense and cares about things that actually matter.
They're also the ones blocking things like mile-based exit numbers and a three foot law for passing cyclists (the current law is horribly vague and impossible to enforce).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on June 23, 2017, 08:35:43 PM
Quote from: cl94 on June 23, 2017, 04:36:42 PM
It's a fail and this happens quite often. Heck, the bill outlawing child marriage took how many years to get through?
Not quite.  Cuomo is likely to call the legislature back for a special session because of the big issue with NYC mayoral control of schools.  If that happens, the assembly could still vote on it.

Quote from: Alps on June 23, 2017, 06:55:00 PM
They're also the ones blocking things like mile-based exit numbers and a three foot law for passing cyclists (the current law is horribly vague and impossible to enforce).

While not yet official, looks like Cuomo Bridge is going to happen this week...

MikeCL

So that transponder discrimination is new then? It's really harsh IMHO.. I have two Maryland tags because well I thought I would be moving to Maryland they are my oldest tags having them for 11 years but after I noticed crossing the Whitestone I was paying the same as cash I stopped using the EZpass lane and used the cash.. My replenish rate was bumping up to $200

vdeane

It's new on the Thruway.  It's not new on the MTA crossings.  NY has a TON of authorities.

MikeCL

Quote from: vdeane on July 06, 2017, 10:22:55 PM
It's new on the Thruway.  It's not new on the MTA crossings.  NY has a TON of authorities.
Man it sucks I guess I better start using my NY tag now I would hate to close my Maryland one but I guess I'm going to have to do it now

empirestate

kalvado

PHLBOS

Quote from: kalvado on July 27, 2017, 02:54:18 PMShouldn't we get used to calling it Cuomo bridge?
Maybe they're either waiting for all the traffic to shift to the new span (the outbound traffic is moving to the new structure first) or they're waiting for both of the twin spans to open for such.  There's a lot of signs out there that would need to be changed; many of them being several miles away.

Looks like my first trips on the new span will be on Labor Day weekend when I head up to New England.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

I'll probably be on it the day after it opens. Definitely won't miss the old one.

SectorZ

Good lord, they renamed the thing? Ridiculous...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.