San Antonio now home to sole drive-thru only Burger King in Texas

Started by ZLoth, May 09, 2024, 07:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From MySA:

San Antonio now home to sole drive-thru only Burger King in Texas
Here's where to find it.
QuoteA new Burger King that just opened on the Southside has a unique distinction — it's the sole, drive-thru only Burger King in Texas.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

epzik8

There is at least one of these in Maryland (Waldorf area, south of DC) that I've gone through before.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Max Rockatansky

There has been one of these in Firebaugh for years.  Makes all the sense in the world to me.  Even before COVID hardly anyone sat down and ate inside at BK.

LilianaUwU

Unless I manage to convince my bus driver to go to the drive through, this is not an option for me. It's why I get the "metropolitan" bus pass for both Québec and Lévis: so I can get to a Burger King location where I can actually get in and order without a car. Because yes, Québec City only has one Burger King location, and it's drive-thru only.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Max Rockatansky

Don't these locations usually have an exterior walk up counter?  The one in Firebaugh does.

SectorZ

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 09, 2024, 09:46:08 PMUnless I manage to convince my bus driver to go to the drive through, this is not an option for me. It's why I get the "metropolitan" bus pass for both Québec and Lévis: so I can get to a Burger King location where I can actually get in and order without a car. Because yes, Québec City only has one Burger King location, and it's drive-thru only.

That sounds like an awful lot of trouble and energy just to eat at Burger King.

mgk920

Think of the labor expense saving to the owner, too.

Mike

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SectorZ

I'm curious how many fast-food chains (the major, national ones at least) have any locations that are the opposite, no drive-thru.

Westford MA has a bylaw (https://patch.com/massachusetts/westford/westford-votes-against-allowing-drive-thru-restaurants-again) against drive-thrus. There used to be Wendy's, BK, and McDonald's, but by 2010 or so only the latter remained, and had to stay shuttered for 3 months during Covid due to it.

ClassicHasClass

There's a DT/walkup only BK in Fairfield, CA near the air base. Eaten there a few times. Quick service.

vdeane

Quote from: SectorZ on May 10, 2024, 11:52:00 AMWestford MA has a bylaw (https://patch.com/massachusetts/westford/westford-votes-against-allowing-drive-thru-restaurants-again) against drive-thrus. There used to be Wendy's, BK, and McDonald's, but by 2010 or so only the latter remained, and had to stay shuttered for 3 months during Covid due to it.
MA didn't allow take-out during that time period?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SectorZ

Quote from: vdeane on May 10, 2024, 12:40:56 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on May 10, 2024, 11:52:00 AMWestford MA has a bylaw (https://patch.com/massachusetts/westford/westford-votes-against-allowing-drive-thru-restaurants-again) against drive-thrus. There used to be Wendy's, BK, and McDonald's, but by 2010 or so only the latter remained, and had to stay shuttered for 3 months during Covid due to it.

McDonald's only allowed locations to do drive-thru only (owned and franchised), no lobby open at all, so in that specific case they were fully shutdown until they allowed lobbies to reopen.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: SectorZ on May 10, 2024, 09:30:05 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 09, 2024, 09:46:08 PMUnless I manage to convince my bus driver to go to the drive through, this is not an option for me. It's why I get the "metropolitan" bus pass for both Québec and Lévis: so I can get to a Burger King location where I can actually get in and order without a car. Because yes, Québec City only has one Burger King location, and it's drive-thru only.

I'd rather go through hoops to dine with a King than walk down the road and eat with a clown.
—Mr. Thwomp

ZLoth

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 10, 2024, 05:00:25 PM

I'd rather go through hoops to dine with a King than walk down the road and eat with a clown.

The nearest Burger King and McDonalds to me are right next to each other, but I prefer the King. Having said that, there are other burger places near to me including a Sonic, Wendys, SmashBurger, and Liberty Burger. Aren't there other burger places near where you live and work?
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

SectorZ

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 10, 2024, 05:00:25 PM

I've only been to your city once (and loved it by the way) so I don't recall, but don't you guys have something better than lowest common denominator chains that are Canadian or something? I hate that my town has the three pathetic chains (the two discussed plus Wendy's) and kind of nothing else, but at least it forces me to get a sub somewhere at a mom and pop place and pay marginally more than the McDonald's would charge me anyways.

Scott5114

Quote from: mgk920 on May 10, 2024, 10:02:55 AMThink of the labor expense saving to the owner, too.

Why should we? It's not like they think about saving us expenses.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

Quote from: SectorZ on May 10, 2024, 06:18:16 PMI've only been to your city once (and loved it by the way) so I don't recall, but don't you guys have something better than lowest common denominator chains that are Canadian or something? I hate that my town has the three pathetic chains (the two discussed plus Wendy's) and kind of nothing else, but at least it forces me to get a sub somewhere at a mom and pop place and pay marginally more than the McDonald's would charge me anyways.
Quote from: ZLoth on May 10, 2024, 05:28:06 PMThe nearest Burger King and McDonalds to me are right next to each other, but I prefer the King. Having said that, there are other burger places near to me including a Sonic, Wendys, SmashBurger, and Liberty Burger. Aren't there other burger places near where you live and work?
There's A&W and tons of other options, and I go to those much more often than I ever do Burger King. The place I go the most often these days is a mom and pop restaurant with a deal on two jumbo pizza slices and a drink for $10. Sometimes, though, I really crave a Whopper.
—Mr. Thwomp

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 10, 2024, 06:49:30 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on May 10, 2024, 10:02:55 AMThink of the labor expense saving to the owner, too.

Why should we? It's not like they think about saving us expenses.

I'd imagine stuff like this might be the new model for a lot of fast food chains out here (California).  The wage hikes for large franchises will probably see this proliferate.

vdeane

Quote from: SectorZ on May 10, 2024, 03:05:39 PMMcDonald's only allowed locations to do drive-thru only (owned and franchised), no lobby open at all, so in that specific case they were fully shutdown until they allowed lobbies to reopen.
Well, that's stupid.  It's also a major reason why I haven't been to a McDonald's even once post-pandemic, even though they used to be a semi-regular lunch option pre-pandemic.  Even now that the lobbies are open again, they emphasize drive-thru so much, they're not really a great option for those of us who prefer to eat our food at a table and not in a car (and to not have to wait an hour while all the drive-thru orders are fulfilled).

Heck, my local sub place (DiBella's) doesn't even have drive-thru, and their increased emphasis on phone/online orders since the pandemic is a major reason why I'm considering going there less often from now on.  Used to be you'd order and they would make the sub right in front of you and hand it to you when done before you paid.  Now, you take a number, they write your order on a piece of paper, and they might get around to it after all the phone/online orders are fulfilled (and paying is on the honor system, as there's no way to verify that what you told the cashier you're getting is what you're actually getting).  It feels like the wait time has doubled.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SectorZ on May 10, 2024, 11:52:00 AMI'm curious how many fast-food chains (the major, national ones at least) have any locations that are the opposite, no drive-thru.

In center city or downtown city locations, in airports, large train stations and mall food courts. Even Trenton's Transit Center had a McDonalds with no drive-thru, which shut down around 2022.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: SectorZ on May 10, 2024, 11:52:00 AMI'm curious how many fast-food chains (the major, national ones at least) have any locations that are the opposite, no drive-thru.
Québec City has a McDonald's in the old town that has no drive thru.
—Mr. Thwomp

SectorZ

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 10, 2024, 11:37:29 PM
Québec City has a McDonald's in the old town that has no drive thru.

That makes sense. I can think of multiple of the big ones in downtown Boston that don't and in some cases couldn't since they literally have a store front and that's it.

mgk920

Quote from: SectorZ on May 10, 2024, 03:05:39 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 10, 2024, 12:40:56 PM

McDonald's only allowed locations to do drive-thru only (owned and franchised), no lobby open at all, so in that specific case they were fully shutdown until they allowed lobbies to reopen.

A lack of warm bodies and cost to keep the dine-in area open during off hours.  I've even seen that here in NE Wisconsin.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.