News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Mental Illness and Road Enthusiusts

Started by roadman65, January 26, 2015, 11:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia when I was about 17. It's not a problem. I know how to rock it!

Just think: You have an honest-to-goodness schizophrenic posting on your forum! Some of you have even met me in person, so now you can accurately say you've met a person with schizophrenia.

This diagnosis still appears on my medical record (unless it's changed in the past 2 months), so I guess I still have it. Still not a problem. Not sure why I should be ashamed of it. I know other people who (by their own admission) would probably be diagnosed with it except they've never visited a shrink.

Think. Do. Be.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Tschiezberger123

I have Asperger's Syndrome and moderate depression. I was verbally abused in middle school. In 8th grade, this one girl kept calling me "shorty". She was (and still is) shorter than me. What a hypocrite. I am only 5'6" and very self conscious about my height. I am almost 160 pounds (almost 30 lbs overweight), because I have an eating problem. The signals that tell my brain I'm full are impaired, and I can eat more food than people twice my size (e.g. I can eat a large pizza without getting full). I also have a short temper, especially towards adults. I am quite introverted, so outside of school, I don't talk much.

noelbotevera

Well, one year later, and my post has been narrowed to anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts. Much better than autism, but 7th grade so far has been a uphill grade to combat.

US71

I will remind everyone here to watch their language and be respectful of other posters.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Tschiezberger123 on December 14, 2016, 09:22:26 PM
I have Asperger's Syndrome and moderate depression.

I have Asperger syndrome. Without the 's as Hans Asperger didn't have that. Another thing is Hutchinson's disease. Or Garcia Longares' syndrome (the nickname I gave to Pearson syndrome, after the case I befriended).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 14, 2016, 10:25:30 PM
Well, one year later, and my post has been narrowed to anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts. Much better than autism, but 7th grade so far has been a uphill grade to combat.

If it's any comfort, 7th grade is an emotionally exhausting ordeal for lots of folks without such a list.  (For some, it's probably because no one's made that list for them but should.)  It's about the hardest point of growing up to get through for many more kids than you would ever believe.

Fortunately, the first and hardest step to coping strategies is knowing what you're dealing with, and you have that already. 

Things will get better.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 15, 2016, 07:09:47 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on December 14, 2016, 10:25:30 PM

If it's any comfort, 7th grade is an emotionally exhausting ordeal for lots of folks without such a list.  (For some, it's probably because no one's made that list for them but should.)  It's about the hardest point of growing up to get through for many more kids than you would ever believe.

Fortunately, the first and hardest step to coping strategies is knowing what you're dealing with, and you have that already. 

Things will get better.
And solutions have already been sought for such ordeals. I'm currently in therapy, and if needed I'll have to take medications. I'm trying to avoid medications, however.

But, considering that 7th grade has been an ordeal because of puberty, which I know of, I feel like I expected this, but not to hit me this hard. So, because of profane language over the last few months, I was hit with a 1 day suspension. It could've gone worse, but I'm not happy about it.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: bandit957 on December 14, 2016, 10:58:23 AM
I was diagnosed with schizophrenia when I was about 17. It's not a problem. I know how to rock it!

Just think: You have an honest-to-goodness schizophrenic posting on your forum! Some of you have even met me in person, so now you can accurately say you've met a person with schizophrenia.

This diagnosis still appears on my medical record (unless it's changed in the past 2 months), so I guess I still have it. Still not a problem. Not sure why I should be ashamed of it. I know other people who (by their own admission) would probably be diagnosed with it except they've never visited a shrink.

Think. Do. Be.
That's not really all that unique. I deal with a lot of mentally ill on a daily basis. Including various flavours of Alzheimer's and dementia. One of the floors in my place is pretty much all mentally ill.

XT1254

jwolfer

Quote from: Rothman on March 15, 2016, 01:23:47 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 14, 2016, 09:39:13 PM
Also, I know some of the most awkward, homely, fringy, super smart dudes that end up with the most gorgeous, well-adjusted women that appreciate them.  If this doesn't happen where you live, just go to MIT.

Also known to happen with frightening frequency at BYU.  Beautiful women; frumpy dudes.
Returned missionaries are a hot commodity at BYU.   There is a lot of pressure on young Mormon men to do a 2 year mission devoted to the Lord, not do normal teenage stuff, not swim, limited contact with family, many times in a foreign country and then come home and get married and start popping out kids after a short courtship because "no sex until marriage"

For an introvert 2 years of evangelizing is hell. And then the pressure to meet cultural norms is rough.

Returned missionaries get the girls

I am glad I'm not Mormon one of my friends is... There are a lot of other issues but this is not the forum for it

LGMS428

Rothman

Well, I am something of an introverted Mormon that served his two years as a missionary.  Have to say, if anything, it helped me break out of my shell.  Go through two years of having doors slammed in your face makes social interactions seem so much smaller and easier, including getting into relationships.

Of course returned missionaries get the girls!  There are only a couple of good reasons for a good Mormon girl to get involved with a guy that hasn't or will not serve a mission and many more reasons for them to seek out returned missionaries.  Sort of makes sense to seek out partners with common values and culture.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

english si

Quote from: jwolfer on December 18, 2016, 12:49:38 AMcome home and get married and start popping out kids after a short courtship because "no sex until marriage"
IME of friends, sexless courtships usually take slightly longer, than sex-filled dating when it comes to moving in, committing exclusively to someone, etc. The only difference that the sexless courtships bring marriage forward to that point as they see marriage as the commencement of that form of relationship, rather than the confirmation of it that those who do the cohabitation thing for a few years first.

I imagine that this slightly longer timeframe has to do in part with the higher level of commitment being made - for life (or longer if you are Mormon!), rather than something that can be undone. However there is the widespread (in both LDS and Protestant groups, no matter where on the cultural and theological conservative-liberal spectrums they are) over-elevation of marriage and seeing singleness as strangeness for special people creating pressure on people to pair up pronto that works to negate the lengthening effect that the more-at-stake nature of the decision to take the plunge has.

adventurernumber1

I have been plagued with several mental illnesses, with the most problematic being schizophrenia. Looking back on it, I started showing symptoms of OCD as early as 2010, but significantly starting in 2012 and 2013, and it became very severe starting in 2015. I joined this forum in July 2014, one month after I started showing symptoms of Major Depression & Generalized Anxiety Disorder in June 2014, which sapped my happiness. However, I seemed to have trooped along moderately okay until early 2015, which is when I started showing symptoms of several subtypes of Schizophrenia. This is when I really started to change, having hallucinations, delusions, paranoia, disorganized speech, and more. This is when I dropped off of the face of this forum, and why you haven't seen any trace of me in almost 2 years. Thankfully, I have been on both antidepressants and antipsychotics for over a year. The latter of which has helped me the most, as it has stunted further development of schizophrenia, and seems to have tamed it and saved me. If any of you show serious and numerous symptoms of schizophrenia, I think it is crucial that you seek a doctor, psychiatrist, psychologist, or all of the above (like I have), and if it is for certain or almost for certain that you have it, be put on antipsychotics medication (because believe me it helps) before any further damage is done. I will now strive to continue to contribute to this forum, and end my days of hiatus. Because of all of the aforementioned things I have developed in the last few years, sometimes I forget that I have Autism/Asperger's (which I have had my whole life), because everything else has become so problematic. Sorry for the length of this post, but it has been my first one since early 2015.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

US 41

Regardless of what some point think, I do not have a any mental illnesses. I gained interest about roads and transportation when I was very young. My family took many road trips to Pennsylvania and to Florida and that's what pretty much what got me started. That's carried over to today where I still take many road trips (now on my own) and I still enjoy seeing progress on new road projects.

On a side note, I am also very interested in railroads. I'm less interested in public transit and air transportation. Mainly because I've hardly ever used either mode of transportation. Railroads are everywhere so it wasn't hard for me to find interest in those.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

inkyatari

I have dysthemia, major depression and ADD.  Currently on a few meds for this.

That having been said, I've always been fascinated by roads.  When I was a kid, I'd always draw not only maps, but fictional drawings of roads, right down to lanes. 
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

formulanone

Meanwhile, back at the lab...

Could Living Near a Highway Increase Your Risk of Dementia?

There are a number of reasons why it could be hazardous to live near a highway—noise and traffic ranking pretty high—but according to a new Canadian study in The Lancet, your risk of developing dementia could increase the closer you live to a major road.

In a study of more than 6 million people, researchers found a link between dementia development and a person's proximity to a major road, such as an interstate highway or parkway. People living less than 50 meters (164 feet) from a major road were 7 percent more likely to develop dementia than people who live more than 300 meters from one. The risk drops as you get further away, with a 4 percent higher chance at 50 to 100 meters away and a 2 percent higher chance at a distance of 101 to 200 meters. The study was conducted on people living in Ontario between 20 and 85 years old from 2001 to 2012.

noelbotevera

This is mostly meant as an apology post, because I've been having a lot of shitposts back in 2015 and early 2016. I was just immature and forgot that this forum is pretty mature, and that I should post less and learn more. I eventually learned, so kudos to those had to put up with my bad posts. I didn't mean to be a troll.

I feel this is just a result of depression - people seem to not listen to me, and after the problems I've had in school, I guess I just didn't think right then. I'm working on improving my posting history, so I've been more quiet.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US71

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 25, 2017, 09:02:03 PM
I have aspergers.

We have several people here who have Aspergers. Acknowledging it and working with it is half the battle from what others have told me.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: US71 on April 26, 2017, 12:00:13 AM
I have aspergers.

We have several people here who have Aspergers. Acknowledging it and working with it is half the battle from what others have told me.

I have it myself, and besides my attention meds, you'd hardly, if at all, know I'm diaganosed with it. Heck, sometimes I forget I have it (because I've dealt with it/worked on it so well).  :bigass:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

MNHighwayMan

I'm pretty sure I don't fall anywhere on the autism spectrum (I went to preschool and it was never mentioned there), so my weirdness and general obsession with weird topics seems to be more of a nurture/personality trait more than anything else. However, both sides of my family have exhibited symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder, and given some of my weird habits/preoccupations, it shouldn't come as a surprise that I inherited the illness. (You might notice that >75% of my posts have been edited–that's a result of me reading each of my posts multiple times and correcting small wording/grammar mistakes that I made in my first draft.)

Roadgeekteen

I have aspergers.

I also think I have adhd, or at least it seems like I do.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 30, 2017, 01:41:09 AM
I have aspergers.

I also think I have adhd, or at least it seems like I do.

Heh....I had a really early ADHD diagnosis back in the 1980s.  The pills they used to give you for that kind of thing (Ritalin...which I'm not even sure if it is sold anymore) to help focus in school made you feel like a literal zombie.  I used to pretend to take them because I didn't like how they made me feel, eventually I convinced my parents that I didn't need them.  I have my doubts personally on how much of a "disorder" something like that truly is when you consider the symptoms include not liking boring things and having lots of energy. 

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 30, 2017, 08:21:17 AM
Heh....I had a really early ADHD diagnosis back in the 1980s.  The pills they used to give you for that kind of thing (Ritalin...which I'm not even sure if it is sold anymore) to help focus in school made you feel like a literal zombie.  I used to pretend to take them because I didn't like how they made me feel, eventually I convinced my parents that I didn't need them.  I have my doubts personally on how much of a "disorder" something like that truly is when you consider the symptoms include not liking boring things and having lots of energy.

I'm very skeptical of ADHD. When I was a kid they called it "being hyperactive" and "having a short attention span" and the cure was doing something constructive to burn off that energy. All of a sudden it became a "disorder" and they started medicating it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on April 30, 2017, 04:46:19 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 30, 2017, 08:21:17 AM

I'm very skeptical of ADHD. When I was a kid they called it "being hyperactive" and "having a short attention span" and the cure was doing something constructive to burn off that energy. All of a sudden it became a "disorder" and they started medicating it.

Exactly, it never seemed that far fetched to understand that something perceived as boring to a person might constitute a lack of attention to it.  The irony is that through out Grade School and High School I couldn't find much in the way of topics that interested me and it was reflective in my GPA being 2.9.  In college when I had not only an interest in my major given I was already underway into my career but a financial investment as well.  My GPA through college was 3.9....really nothing had changed other than I had a reason to make the grades count. 

As far as the "hyper-activity" part of the equation, I don't see how being active and wanting to constantly be active is a problem.  For me the most relaxing thing to do with my free time is to occupy with some sort of engrossing activity.  For me I think that is reflective in the volume of travel I do since I genuinely find it enjoyable and a much more relaxing time as opposed to staying on the couch.  Hell even going to a movie and doing something productive like looking up the history on a subject that interests me keeps my mind active to which I also find enjoyable.  I guess the worst thing I can think of to do is spend the day just sitting around and not having something productive to do. 

But then again some people might really enjoy the reverse situation, does that make something like that a disorder as well?...because it sure seems to be what is perceived as the "normal way."  Really though, it seems like that there was a spat of disorders that came into vogue as a popular diagnosis in the 1980s and 1990s.  I'm pretty sure that most people would fall under one clinical definition or another given certain analysis. 

bandit957

I was diagnosed with ADHD as well, and drugged heavily, for years and years. It's a scam by the psychiatric industry and school officials.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.