News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How do you define North/Central/South Jersey?

Started by jp the roadgeek, June 12, 2016, 09:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

This puts the Philadelphia suburbs in Central Jersey... Very Cape May definition

LGMS428

Duke87

South Jersey: exits 1-9
North Jersey: exits 10-18
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Duke87 on November 29, 2016, 06:44:43 PM

What about the areas that are nowhere near the Turnpike?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

noelbotevera

Quote from: jwolfer on November 28, 2016, 07:46:59 PM
This puts the Philadelphia suburbs in Central Jersey... Very Cape May definition

LGMS428
It puts them in South/Central. I'd say the Philly suburbs would be Central NJ (and the Trenton area), because South Jersey is really rural aside from the coast, because of the Pine Barrens. Not to make South Jersey members feel bad.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jwolfer

I grew up in Ocean County and i consider it South Jersey.. However many people consider it Central Jersey becaise of nyc influence and i can understand..  But Philly suburbs are the center of South Jersey

LGMS428

spitball

Quote from: noelbotevera on November 29, 2016, 07:05:23 PM
It puts them in South/Central. I'd say the Philly suburbs would be Central NJ (and the Trenton area), because South Jersey is really rural aside from the coast, because of the Pine Barrens. Not to make South Jersey members feel bad.

Grew up in NNJ....migrated to CNJ, but I  love the Pineys amd rural  SNJ.

Duke87

Quote from: 1 on November 29, 2016, 06:51:50 PM

Whoosh

vdeane

I just drew a line exactly halfway between exits 9-10 perpendicular to the Turnpike and extended it to the state border.  This may not be what was intended, though; it puts parts of I-287, I-78, and even I-80 in "South Jersey" (if extended further west, the area south of the line would include most of PA, part of NY, part of Ontario, most of MI, all of British Columbia, and almost all of both the Yukon and Alaska; the vast majority of Africa, as well as all of Australia, meanwhile, would be north of the line).  I'll post a screenshot later if I remember.

I would probably define them like this:
-North: I-78/I-287/NJ 440 - NY
-Central: I-195 - I-78/I-287/NJ 440
-South: Delaware Bay - I-195

This has the virtue of mostly lining up with the Central NJ and NYC meets.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jwolfer on November 28, 2016, 07:46:59 PM

LGMS428

Yeah...us people that sit in 10-15 mile jams on 295 on a daily basis will disagree with that statement!

In a firefighting fb group I'm a member of, a firefighter from Millville, NJ tried saying Deptford (SE of Philly) was North Jersey.  That touched off a heated, one-sided debate against the firefighter's definition of North Jersey!

The whole 'Central Jersey' thing is relatively new, imo.  It used to be simply North/South Jersey.  Central Jersey kinda grew from those that think South Jersey extends to the 195/Burlington & Ocean County border, and those that believe New Brunswick is the defining line between the two.

vdeane

Quote from: vdeane on November 30, 2016, 02:07:51 PM

I just drew a line exactly halfway between exits 9-10 perpendicular to the Turnpike and extended it to the state border.  This may not be what was intended, though; it puts parts of I-287, I-78, and even I-80 in "South Jersey" (if extended further west, the area south of the line would include most of PA, part of NY, part of Ontario, most of MI, all of British Columbia, and almost all of both the Yukon and Alaska; the vast majority of Africa, as well as all of Australia, meanwhile, would be north of the line).  I'll post a screenshot later if I remember.

I would probably define them like this:
-North: I-78/I-287/NJ 440 - NY
-Central: I-195 - I-78/I-287/NJ 440
-South: Delaware Bay - I-195

This has the virtue of mostly lining up with the Central NJ and NYC meets.
Here it is:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jwolfer

Quote from: spitball on November 29, 2016, 08:43:25 PM

Grew up in NNJ....migrated to CNJ, but I  love the Pineys amd rural  SNJ.
The heart of the Pine Barrens is directly east of center city Philadelphia, as is Toms River

LGMS428

TXtoNJ

South Jersey starts south of a line from Exit 6 to Toms River.

North Jersey starts north of a line from Lambertville to Perth Amboy.

If you don't believe in Central Jersey, the dividing line is 195.

spitball

Quote from: TXtoNJ on December 01, 2016, 02:14:25 PM
If you don't believe in Central Jersey, the dividing line is 195.

Makes me nostalgic for the days of haviong only two area codes: 201 for North Jersey and 609 for South Jersey

Duke87

I just drew a line exactly halfway between exits 9-10 perpendicular to the Turnpike and extended it to the state border.  This may not be what was intended

It isn't.

I was making a snarky jab at New Jersey based on the old "what exit?" joke. There is no intended way to extend this to areas not near the Turnpike.

Dougtone

For someone who is not a resident of New Jersey, I-78 and then I-287/NJ 440 to the Outerbridge would be a good dividing line between North and Central Jersey. I-195 serves as a good dividing line between Central and South Jersey for the most part. But as someone who has explored NJ quite a bit, it seems to be that Central Jersey does annex area along the Garden State Parkway corridor as far south as Toms River.

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on December 01, 2016, 09:25:33 PM
I just drew a line exactly halfway between exits 9-10 perpendicular to the Turnpike and extended it to the state border.  This may not be what was intended

It isn't.

I was making a snarky jab at New Jersey based on the old "what exit?" joke. There is no intended way to extend this to areas not near the Turnpike.
I figured.  Still, it was interesting to see what that would mean.  Of course, "parallel to the equator" would have made more sense than "perpendicular to the Turnpike at that exact location", and the former is roughly what seems to divide North Jersey from everything else in my head.

1995hoo

It isn't.

Heh. There used to be a Southern humor website called yall.com (that domain now hosts something different) that had a supposed New Jersey driver's license application that included blanks for the following sorts of data:

Name
Street address
City, State  ZIP code
Exit number

Type of car driven (check one):
Mustang
Corvette
Camaro
Chevette (you got a f&%*in' problem widdat?)

Thickness of gold chains around license plate

Favorite sports team:
F'in Yankees
F'in Mets
F'in Giants
F'in Jets

etc. (I don't remember the rest of it)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jwolfer

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 02, 2016, 01:28:12 PM

It isn't.

Heh. There used to be a Southern humor website called yall.com (that domain now hosts something different) that had a supposed New Jersey driver's license application that included blanks for the following sorts of data:

Name
Street address
City, State  ZIP code
Exit number

Type of car driven (check one):
Mustang
Corvette
Camaro
Chevette (you got a f&%*in' problem widdat?)

Thickness of gold chains around license plate

Favorite sports team:
F'in Yankees
F'in Mets
F'in Giants
F'in Jets

etc. (I don't remember the rest of it)
Shows how the world thinks of NJ as the 6th borough... what about the Iggles?

Philadelphia/South Jersey characters accent on movies or tv is almost always done as New York accent.....Rocky

Tina Fey does a good job on done SNL skits she is from there so thats expected and i was impressed with Toni Collette in Sixth Sense.  She sounded Philadelphia and she is from Australia.

The guy who played House (Hugh Laurie)did a good NJ accent and did not sound New York at all

LGMS428

ixnay

One time back in the days when the NBA's Nets team played in Piscataway, my late father and I were discussing that, and he said he considered Middlesex County to be in Central Jersey, even the New Brunswick/Edison/Metuchen/Piscataway/lower Raritan River area.

And speaking of CJ, more than once I've heard Tom Kaminsky on WCBS-AM traffic reports classify *Somerset* County as CJ, even Bedminster which is north of I-78.

ixnay

1995hoo

QuoteShows how the world thinks of NJ as the 6th borough... what about the Iggles?

It may have listed the Eagles. I just don't remember whether it did.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.