News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Connecting an iPod with no 3.5mm input jack

Started by wanderer2575, October 10, 2016, 10:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

This seems like a heck of a topic to post on a roadgeek forum, but I can't find a straightforward answer elsewhere and I'm hoping one of you fine folks have dealt with this.

One of only two things I don't like about my 2016 Honda CR-V is that it has no 3.5mm input jack where I can connect my iPod and listen to it through the vehicle's audio system.  It's got an HDMI port (which I think is for video input) and two USB ports (I have no clue what the hell purpose those have in a vehicle).  And it came with a CD player, standard.  But no 3.5mm jack.  I've seen USB-to-3.5mm adapters on Amazon but their descriptions don't sound like they will let me play my tunes.  Any ideas how I can make this work?  A reference to a website that explains it, if you don't want to type it out?

Before you ask "why not put all your music on your smartphone and interface that to the audio system with Bluetooth (or whatever the standard-of-the-moment is)," note that I don't have a smartphone -- I'm a proud holdout.  No tablet either.  I've heard the idea of copying my music library to a flash drive and plugging that into one of the USB ports, but don't you need some software for that to do anything?  Maybe I misunderstand.  As you may have noticed, I am totally clueless about "smart" devices.  All they do is make me feel dumb.

Anyway, any suggestions are appreciated.  I need some tunes on my roadtrips and I don't want to have to haul along a pile of CDs.

jeffandnicole

USB ports are for your charging cord for the phone or other devices (along with possible other uses).  It eliminates the need for an adaptor one would plug into a 12v port/cigarette lighter.

jakeroot

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 10, 2016, 10:58:35 PM
Before you ask "why not put all your music on your smartphone and interface that to the audio system with Bluetooth (or whatever the standard-of-the-moment is)," note that I don't have a smartphone -- I'm a proud holdout...As you may have noticed, I am totally clueless about "smart" devices.  All they do is make me feel dumb.

Why be proud, if you're having to scour the web for a solution to a problem that you face only because of your inability to embrace new technology? I appreciate you at least embracing iPods, but a smartphone is not just for nerds. Both of my 70+ year old grandparents use iPhone 6+'s, because the big screens are easier to read. They had to learn how an iPhone worked, granted, but they're very intuitive devices once you figure out the basics.

Anyways, back on topic...

One of only two things I don't like about my 2016 Honda CR-V is that it has no 3.5mm input jack where I can connect my iPod and listen to it through the vehicle's audio system.  It's got an HDMI port (which I think is for video input) and two USB ports (I have no clue what the hell purpose those have in a vehicle).  And it came with a CD player, standard.  But no 3.5mm jack.  I've seen USB-to-3.5mm adapters on Amazon but their descriptions don't sound like they will let me play my tunes.  Any ideas how I can make this work?  A reference to a website that explains it, if you don't want to type it out?

If you're looking to play music, your Honda likely has an interface built in to the media center that allows iPods to work directly through the USB port. You'd plug in your iPod to the car, and the car should automatically switch to "iPod" mode. At that point, you'd browse your tracks using the car's interface.

In other words, that USB port is there specifically so you can plug in your iPod.

When USB ports first started appearing in cars, they were for interfacing with different media devices. They have the plus side of charging the device as well.

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 10, 2016, 11:05:40 PM
USB ports are for your charging cord for the phone or other devices (along with possible other uses).  It eliminates the need for an adaptor one would plug into a 12v port/cigarette lighter.

They were first implemented specifically for iPods and, in the case of Ford, the Zune. The USB would interface with the car, so you could browse your tracks directly through the car's center stack. If it's not an iPhone or iPod, it just charges it instead.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on October 10, 2016, 11:16:33 PM

They were first implemented specifically for iPods and, in the case of Ford, the Zune. The USB would interface with the car, so you could browse your tracks directly through the car's center stack. If it's not an iPhone or iPod, it just charges it instead.

My 2008 CRV has a 3.5" port but no USB. I know I plugged an iPod in it once and the sound blasted thru the speakers because i accidently turned the dial thingy on the iPod.

Rarely do I ever use it; I prefer to simply listen to the radio while in the car.

wanderer2575

Quote from: jakeroot on October 10, 2016, 11:14:11 PM
Before you ask "why not put all your music on your smartphone and interface that to the audio system with Bluetooth (or whatever the standard-of-the-moment is)," note that I don't have a smartphone -- I'm a proud holdout...As you may have noticed, I am totally clueless about "smart" devices.  All they do is make me feel dumb.

Why be proud, if you're having to scour the web for a solution to a problem that you face only because of your inability to embrace new technology? I appreciate you at least embracing iPods, but a smartphone is not just for nerds. Both of my 70+ year old grandparents use iPhone 6+'s, because the big screens are easier to read. They had to learn how an iPhone worked, granted, but they're very intuitive devices once you figure out the basics.

Where did I call anyone a nerd?  I tried making a lighthearted joke at my expense, but to be serious, I don't have the need for a smartphone.  Yes, having one would solve this particular problem, but for only this problem which I have only when I roadtrip, I can't see spending umpteen dollars on a smartphone and the data plans that come with it.  Now if this problem can't be solved any other way then I'll need to make that decision, but I'm merely asking if anyone knows of another workaround.

If you're looking to play music, your Honda likely has an interface built in to the media center that allows iPods to work directly through the USB port. You'd plug in your iPod to the car, and the car should automatically switch to "iPod" mode. At that point, you'd browse your tracks using the car's interface.

In other words, that USB port is there specifically so you can plug in your iPod.

No, it's not, unless I'm seriously missing something.  My iPod doesn't have a USB port; it has only a 3.5mm jack.  I guess I wasn't clear on that point.  My 2007 CR-V had a 3.5mm jack and I connected the iPod to it with a cable that had a male 3.5mm plug on each end.  That won't work now, which is the point of my question in the first place -- how to get the iPod to work directly through the USB port.  That's why I mentioned the 3.5mm-to-USB adapter, but the product descriptions don't sound encouraging.  I've asked at my car dealership and a couple computer stores, and they have no idea what I'm talking about.

lordsutch

There are Bluetooth transmitters that will take a 3.5mm jack and transmit. Here's one example.

But the USB port may connect directly to the 30-pin (or Lightning) input on your iPod with a standard Apple cable. Try it and see - surely you already have a USB-to-iPod cable to transfer music and charge the device. Unless it's a really ancient iPod (i.e. one that only does Firewire connections) it probably will work to some extent even if it doesn't do the full AirPlay.

If it's an iPod Touch it probably has Bluetooth built-in - you'd just have to enable it in the settings menu - which you could use to connect to the radio if the USB connection doesn't work. But I think any iPod Touch would work with the USB connection too.

EDIT: see page 273 of the manual here. If your iPod is listed, a simple charging/transfer cable for your iPod will work. See also pages 208-211.

DaBigE

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 11, 2016, 12:01:40 AM
No, it's not, unless I'm seriously missing something.  My iPod doesn't have a USB port; it has only a 3.5mm jack.  I guess I wasn't clear on that point.  My 2007 CR-V had a 3.5mm jack and I connected the iPod to it with a cable that had a male 3.5mm plug on each end.  That won't work now, which is the point of my question in the first place -- how to get the iPod to work directly through the USB port.  That's why I mentioned the 3.5mm-to-USB adapter, but the product descriptions don't sound encouraging.  I've asked at my car dealership and a couple computer stores, and they have no idea what I'm talking about.

How do you charge your iPod? There has to be some other port...an Apple proprietary docking port IIRC. There are adapters for the "Apple port" to USB connection.

Not quite. While Ford first teamed with Microsoft for the 1st-gen SYNC system, the USB port is for more than just the Zune. It works with any USB device, including plain-old flash sticks. It's also the port used for updates to the SYNC system (in the rare times Ford actually releases an update for it).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jakeroot

Where did I call anyone a nerd?  I tried making a lighthearted joke at my expense, but to be serious, I don't have the need for a smartphone.  Yes, having one would solve this particular problem, but for only this problem which I have only when I roadtrip, I can't see spending umpteen dollars on a smartphone and the data plans that come with it.  Now if this problem can't be solved any other way then I'll need to make that decision, but I'm merely asking if anyone knows of another workaround.

You didn't call anyone a nerd. I was make a gross assumption that, those who don't adopt smartphones, are the same people who see new technology as just for nerds like myself.

Regardless, if you simply have no need for a smartphone, then that's that. But personally, I'd find it very hard to get along in the world without one. Be it for streaming music (to the phone, and then via bluetooth for example), accessing Google Maps, browsing the web on the road, etc. There's just so many things that I use on my smartphone everyday, that not having one would seriously exacerbate things for me.

One end of the cable is USB, the other end plugs into one of these ports (image via anandtech). Your iPod has to have one of these ports. If it doesn't, it's not an iPod.

jakeroot

Quote from: DaBigE on October 11, 2016, 12:30:35 AM

Not quite. While Ford first teamed with Microsoft for the 1st-gen SYNC system, the USB port is for more than just the Zune. It works with any USB device, including plain-old flash sticks. It's also the port used for updates to the SYNC system (in the rare times Ford actually releases an update for it).

For the first part, I was trying to imply that, but I failed miserably. As for streaming via USB stick, that was a feature that I used so little, that I forgot it was even possible.

roadman

My 2012 Focus has both 3.5mm and USB inputs.  I have a mp3 player connected to the USB input, and I connect a cassette Walkman to the 3.5mm input on longer roadtrips.  As my scanner has 'instant' access to NOAA weather frequencies, I never have to turn the radio on unless I'm looking for a traffic report.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hbelkins

There are a number of devices out there that allow you to play an iPod through your car's FM radio. Some connect via the iPod's charging port (30-pin wide connectors for older iPods like my iPod Classic or my iPod Touch, or 8-pin lightning connector for the newer iPod Touch models) and some have a headphone-type 3.5mm jack. Griffin and Belkin make them and they are available at places like Walmart. They can also be found at very good prices on eBay. There are also some el cheapo models that you can pick up elsewhere.

Basically, you hook your iPod up to them via the offered connection method (headphone jack or charge/sync port) and have the device select a free FM radio frequency. Then you tune your FM radio to that frequency.

I have one of each kind (30-pin connector for my devices, and a headphone connector for my work iPhone that has the lightning connector) so I can listen to podcasts or music when I'm driving the work vehicle that I most often use when I need to, since it doesn't have a 3.5mm input either.

There are also some Bluetooth adaptors that you can buy for the older 30-pin iPod models, but I've never been crazy about the way iPods interface with vehicle systems. I'd rather control my music from the iPod and not the car's controls. Having said that, there's a good chance you can use (as others have suggested) your iPod charging cable with your vehicle system. The upside of that is that the iPod will run off the car power source while it's playing your music.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman

Quote from: hbelkins on October 11, 2016, 11:35:58 AM
There are a number of devices out there that allow you to play an iPod through your car's FM radio. .
Briefly used one of those inexpensive FM transmitters, with a Minidisc Walkman, in my previous car, which didn't have a 3.5mm input.  I quickly found that, in moderate to heavy traffic, there was a lot of crosstalk from other cars using similar transmitters, even when I tried switching frequencies.  Eventually gave up on it in favor of one of those  cassette adaptors that has the 3.5mm cable coming out of it.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Brandon

If you can connect you iPod to your computer to upload songs, then it has a USB port.  It's that same connection you use to connect it to your car.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

I remember using my iPod once with the USB connection in Mom's Civic.  I remember the Civic's media interface being complete junk and wishing that I could have just used the iPod's interface to play the previously prepared on-the-go playlist (which was not available in the car) like I normally did.  That said, this interface may be the only option here (unless you try the FM transmitter, though be aware that they can be overwhelmed by local radio stations, so they're not reliable in areas with dense FM markets unless you know which stations you can use and have a good enough model; I drove through NYC with one and just gave up because I couldn't find an open station).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

I thought the FM transmitters worked better in the old days of analog radio dials because you could make minute adjustments with your tuning. Of course the new transmitters are better, but when there are a lot of stations, not being able to fine-tune the radio is a nuisance.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

I don't think I've ever driven a car with an analog tuner.  Just digital tuners that only tune in to odd stations, never even ones.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Otto Yamamoto

Some portable radios sold internationally had the ability to set FM to even steps, as well as AM to 9 kHz steps

XT1585

JREwing78

Do you have an iPod Shuffle? I think that's what is getting lost in translation here.

The Shuffles charge through the headphone jack. If you docked the Shuffle in its charger and connected it to the USB jack, that should do what you need it to.

Otherwise, dropping your music onto a USB drive (assuming the music isn't protected) and plugging it into the USB port will do the trick.

JREwing78

The other solution? Buy a iPod Nano and use the Bluetooth connection. Cheaper than replacing your head unit.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: JREwing78 on October 21, 2016, 10:06:25 PM
The other solution? Buy a iPod Nano and use the Bluetooth connection. Cheaper than replacing your head unit.
Or get an Android

XT1585

hbelkins

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on October 22, 2016, 07:30:07 PM
Or get an Android

XT1585

OK,what's the little white text all about? (I removed the first tag and left the second one.

I prefer to keep my music on a separate device from my phone. They've quit making the iPod Classic, and the last time I checked, an iPod Touch with a decent amount of capacity was very expensive. I'm not sure what the best options are for music-only players. At some point my iPod Classic will crap out and it would be nice to find a device that will hold 160 GB of music.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on October 22, 2016, 08:26:56 PM
Or get an Android

XT1585 [/color]

OK,what's the little white text all about? (I removed the first tag and left the second one.

I prefer to keep my music on a separate device from my phone. They've quit making the iPod Classic, and the last time I checked, an iPod Touch with a decent amount of capacity was very expensive. I'm not sure what the best options are for music-only players. At some point my iPod Classic will crap out and it would be nice to find a device that will hold 160 GB of music.

I'm in the same situation and I'm leaning towards a Pono Player. It's more expensive but it plays high-rez material and can hold upwards of 256 GB.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: hbelkins on October 22, 2016, 08:26:56 PM
Or get an Android

XT1585 [/color]

The colour must have been associated with the emoji I tacked on.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.