News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pink-colored candy - Strawberry or Watermelon?

Started by Pink Jazz, November 01, 2016, 11:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I was wondering, do you prefer pink-colored candy to be Strawberry or Watermelon?

My pick is Strawberry since it tastes better.  I prefer Watermelon to be a dark green (darker than Lime or Green Apple), and red is usually taken by Cherry.

Max Rockatansky

english si

In order from common to rarer it's probably this over here:

No different to others, merely differently coloured (eg marshmallows or chocolate)
Raspberry (only occasionally blue here, as we see the fruit a lot.*)
Bubblegum (often also blue, or pink and blue)
Strawberry (normally red)
Weird other flavours

*To see why blue raspberry is a thing, pour boiling water into a cup containing a bag of raspberry infusion (fruit 'tea') - note how it initially goes blue.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: english si on November 01, 2016, 01:27:15 PM
Strawberry (normally red)

Here in the United States, Cherry is usually red.  When Cherry is present, Strawberry is usually pink. 

However, things get a bit more complicated when you throw Watermelon into the mix.  I know the Skittles Sweets and Sours introduced earlier this year uses red for Sour Cherry, pink for Sweet Strawberry, and green for Sweet Watermelon.

freebrickproductions

Most watermelon flavored things I've seen here use green while most strawberry flavored things are pink.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadman

I've always associated strawberry candy with pink, and watermelon candy with green.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

english si

Quote from: Pink Jazz on November 01, 2016, 01:32:10 PMHere in the United States, Cherry is usually red.  When Cherry is present, Strawberry is usually pink.
That was pretty obvious from your earlier post.

We do have cherry candy, but aren't overly big on it as a nation, unlike raspberry, which we are.
QuoteHowever, things get a bit more complicated when you throw Watermelon into the mix.
And a bit more horrid tasting*. Still, it's not grape (which we flat out don't have outside of Jelly belly, and even then you need a fair few flavours to have it) which is possibly the most annoying thing about American non-chocolate candy for Brits - it's purple, we think mmm blackcurrant, but alas, we eat it and its grape. Cherry instead of Strawberry is a nice surprise, but when it comes to purple sweets...

*I like the fruit, but the candy flavour is just ewww.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: english si on November 01, 2016, 02:05:47 PM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on November 01, 2016, 01:32:10 PMHere in the United States, Cherry is usually red.  When Cherry is present, Strawberry is usually pink.
That was pretty obvious from your earlier post.

We do have cherry candy, but aren't overly big on it as a nation, unlike raspberry, which we are.
QuoteHowever, things get a bit more complicated when you throw Watermelon into the mix.
And a bit more horrid tasting*. Still, it's not grape (which we flat out don't have outside of Jelly belly, and even then you need a fair few flavours to have it) which is possibly the most annoying thing about American non-chocolate candy for Brits - it's purple, we think mmm blackcurrant, but alas, we eat it and its grape. Cherry instead of Strawberry is a nice surprise, but when it comes to purple sweets...

*I like the fruit, but the candy flavour is just ewww.

Note that the flavor of grape-flavored candy isn't modeled after your normal supermarket grapes, but Concord grapes.

english si

Quote from: Pink Jazz on November 01, 2016, 02:27:02 PMNote that the flavor of grape-flavored candy isn't modeled after your normal supermarket grapes, but Concord grapes.
The issue isn't the colour (which is fine colour for grape - see below), but that the terrible flavour that is grape has taken the place of the awesome flavour that is blackcurrant.

Also these are normal supermarket grapes:

as are these:

and, sure, these:

No one gets confused that apple sweets are yellowy/green (Golden 'Delicious') or green (Granny Smith) when they taste like neither of those apples (not as sickly as GD, and definitely not tart like GS), but some red variety. Grape-flavoured sweets being purple isn't a problem for Brits as some grapes are green (especially as the grapes used aren't green), purple sweets being grape-flavoured is.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

english si

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 01, 2016, 03:47:22 PMWhat in the world is that?
Find out here.

It's a fruit that your nation banned for no real reason (in order to flog grape produce?). It's common throughout northern Europe and Asia and used to make jams, jellies, juice, liquors, and candy. It also can cure cancer (well reduce tumor size).

They look like this

I mean this

freebrickproductions

Quote from: english si on November 01, 2016, 04:15:11 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 01, 2016, 03:47:22 PMWhat in the world is that?
Find out here.

It's a fruit that your nation banned for no real reason (in order to flog grape produce?). It's common throughout northern Europe and Asia and used to make jams, jellies, juice, liquors, and candy. It also can cure cancer (well reduce tumor size).
Looks like it was banned due to being a "threat to the US Logging Industry".

(They/Them)

english si

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 01, 2016, 05:19:45 PMLooks like it was banned due to being a "threat to the US Logging Industry".
Yet native berry plants with the same disease carrying potential exist in the US, as does the disease.

Perhaps it was as blackcurrants are so yummy that the US knew that the crop would become widespread.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: english si on November 01, 2016, 05:46:29 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 01, 2016, 05:19:45 PMLooks like it was banned due to being a "threat to the US Logging Industry".
Yet native berry plants with the same disease carrying potential exist in the US, as does the disease.

Perhaps it was as blackcurrants are so yummy that the US knew that the crop would become widespread.
It was apparently popular here in the US before it was banned. Also, the ban was originally federal but then transferred to the states, some of whom have since repealed said ban, so it's making a slow comeback here. Ain't never had one though.

(They/Them)

epzik8

Watermelon for sure, because my least-favorite Starburst flavor is the pink one which is strawberry.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

US 81

I wish for a more-or-less universal color coding system. It feels especially disappointing to have one's mouth all set for strawberry only to taste watermelon instead.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: US 81 on November 02, 2016, 11:35:34 AM
I wish for a more-or-less universal color coding system. It feels especially disappointing to have one's mouth all set for strawberry only to taste watermelon instead.

Here is how it should be for the Reds and Greens:

• Cherry - Red
  • Strawberry - Pink
  • Pomegranate - Dark Red
  • Lime - Light Green
  • Green Apple - Medium Green
  • Watermelon - Dark Green

sparker

Quote from: english si on November 01, 2016, 05:46:29 PM

Smuckers used to manufacture both black currant and red currant jams & jellies; haven't seen them on store shelves for years.  My mother used to make a 2-layer coconut cake with the typical coconut icing for the outside -- but with red currant jelly as the separator for the layers to give it a bit of a contrasting "sweet/sour" kick!  Probably her best cake-related work!  If you want to get a hint of what black currants taste like -- and are in California -- the discount food chain Grocery Outlet regularly stocks a brand of European preserves called "Danish Select" (although most of them seem to be made in Poland!) -- and they have a blackcurrant preserve.  I always keep a jar of the stuff on the shelf -- one of my favorite jams! 

english si

Quote from: sparker on November 02, 2016, 04:52:24 PMred currants
mmm redcurrants. I'm annoyed that the birds got most of mine this year. Though not as annoyed as I am with the scrumpers pilfering loads of my apples (I was going to have them turned into cider, but ended up with too few to be worth doing) as unlike the birds, they should know better.

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 01, 2016, 06:22:34 PMAin't never had one though.
Like cranberries, you tend to only see them in shops processed.

Quote from: US 81 on November 02, 2016, 11:35:34 AMI wish for a more-or-less universal color coding system. It feels especially disappointing to have one's mouth all set for strawberry only to taste watermelon instead.
Times that disappointment by lots and it's how Europeans feel eating purple candy and having grape not blackcurrant. Strawberry is OK, but not great, whereas Blackcurrant is great. Watermelon is not OK, but isn't awful, whereas grape is awful.

Quote from: sparker on November 02, 2016, 04:52:24 PMMy mother used to make a 2-layer coconut cake with the typical coconut icing for the outside -- but with red currant jelly as the separator for the layers to give it a bit of a contrasting "sweet/sour" kick!
The best thing about currants is that they are tart, cutting through the sweetness of deserts, likewise berries that aren't blue- or straw-: all these stop the sweetness of (say) a meringue from being too sickly*. And obviously other stuff like citrus, certain apple strains, pomegranate, etc have that tartness too.

I'm not sure you can beat the (original - they were invented here) UK red-orange-yellow-green-purple spectrum of original Skittles and Starburst (the latter having lemon-lime flavoured greens, and no yellows): sweet red (strawberry), somewhat sweet orange (orange), both sweet and sour purple (blackcurrant), somewhat sour green (lime) and sour yellow (lemon). But the US goes with very sweet purple (grape), sweet pink (strawberry), somewhat sweet orange (orange), both sweet and sour green (green apple), sour yellow (lemon) for Skittles, and sweet red (cherry), sweet pink (strawberry), somewhat sweet orange (orange), sour yellow (lemon) for Starburst. Note how everything is just moved way down to the sweet end of the spectrum, with only really lemon counteracting the sweetness. No wonder the US has much more variety of sub-brands when it comes to these sweets: they changed near-perfection and are trying to find it again by looking in the wrong places.

*Speaking of Berrys, and meringue here's the queen of British baking making a pavlova with blackcurrants, redcurrants, raspberries and blackberries, and a good helping of cassis (blackcurrant liqueur). Delicious.

bandit957

I associate this color with bubble gum, because bubble gum is such cool stuff, and you can bubble with it.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Pink Jazz on November 02, 2016, 11:39:51 AM
Quote from: US 81 on November 02, 2016, 11:35:34 AM

Here is how it should be for the Reds and Greens:

• Cherry - Red
  • Strawberry - Pink
  • Pomegranate - Dark Red
  • Lime - Light Green
  • Green Apple - Medium Green
  • Watermelon - Dark Green

In my few years on this Earth, I have not once, no, never, encountered a Pomegranate candy. Where did you? Has anyone? Again, where? No major candy brand I know (as far as convenience-store types are concerned) has any such flavor. Skittles maybe?  :hmmm:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.