News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Bismark: I-94 corridor study suggests remedies for traffic congestion

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 24, 2015, 10:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Henry

That Bismarck beltway sounds very interesting! I don't think any small town (with a population of less than 100,000) currently has one.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

pianocello

Quote from: Henry on July 24, 2015, 11:56:57 AM
That Bismarck beltway sounds very interesting! I don't think any small town (with a population of less than 100,000) currently has one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_State_Route_210 (Dothan, AL, population 68K)

...unless you mean freeway beltway. Anyway, I can't imagine traffic is so bad that it couldn't be fixed by adding a third lane in each direction. Then again, I've never been there.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

skluth

Technically my original hometown of Green Bay is just over 100K. But it has had its beltway (I41, I43, WI172) since the early 80's when the population was less than 90K. Winchester, VA, is only about 26K and has almost a complete freeway beltway. Harrisburg PA is about 50K and you could argue I81, I283, and the turnpike effectively create a beltway.

However, I think what the articles imply is more along the lines of Spartanburg SC, where a bypasses was built to take traffic of what has become a major corridor or Roswell, NM where the bypass pulls traffic well out of the city. Neither city comes close to 100K.

triplemultiplex

The "beltway" mentioned in this article seems to elude to a new alignment for US 83 to connect to I-94 east of the city as opposed to a bypass route for I-94 traffic.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

noelbotevera

Quote from: skluth on July 27, 2015, 11:55:47 PM

Harrisburg PA is about 50K and you could argue I81, I283, and the turnpike effectively create a beltway.

Wrong. The "Capital Beltway" follows all of PA 581, to I-83 between exit 41A and the northern terminus, to I-81 between exit 59 and exit 70.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

The Ghostbuster

It looks like the area around the existing beltway (Bismarck Expressway) is too built up to apply improvements to, or that is what I would suggest.

froggie

Reading through the final report, it notes that traffic on I-94 is typically at LOS C or better even during peak hours, so I don't see where a 3rd lane on I-94 is necessary.  The busiest section of I-94 in Bismark only has an AADT level of just over 27K...WELL within the capacity of a 4-lane freeway.  Even with projected 2040 volumes (which are basically double the existing volumes), most of the I-94 mainline continues to run at LOS C or better.  The issues along I-94 are operational at the interchange ramp termini, where traffic waiting to turn backs up along the off-ramp and onto the I-94 mainline.  The interchange ramp issues are worst at Sunset Dr (Exit 152), State St (US 83/ND 1804/Exit 159) and ND 810/Centennial (Exit 161).

They looked at a number of Beltway concepts, including partial beltways and a direct freeway bypass between I-94 and US 83 North but none really met the need of addressing the congestion issues along State St and Centennial Rd.

The current recommendation is for the following:

- A SPUI at Sunset Dr (Exit 152).
- Reconstruct the interchange at Mandan Ave (Exit 153).  Ramps are realigned but it remains a standard diamond.
- Realign the westbound I-94 mainline between Main St (Exit 155) and I-194 (Exit 156) so that it closely parallels the eastbound mainline.  This has the effect of moving all the existing left-side exits and entrances to the right side.  The existing westbound mainline would remain as the westbound off-ramp to Main St...a new ramp would bring I-194 to westbound I-94.  The westbound loop ramp to I-194 would be rebuilt with a 30 MPH design speed.  As best as I can tell, there would be no changes to eastbound I-94, which already has an auxiliary lane plus a 2-lane exit to I-194.
- The westbound on-ramps at Tyler Pkwy (Exit 157) would be revised slightly to improve acceleration lane length.
- A SPUI at State St (US 83/ND 1804/Exit 159).
- A SPUI at Centennial Rd/Bismark Expwy (Exit 161).
- Widening Centennial/Bismark to 6 lanes from Commerce Dr (S of I-94) to Jericho Rd (N of I-94).
- A new interchange at 66th St NE (likely Exit 163).  Options include a standard diamond, a SPUI, or a 5- or 6-ramp par-clo with loops in the northeast and/or southeast quadrants.  I-94 would bridge over 66th St.
- Construct/reconstruct (as the case may be) 66th St NE from 17th Ave NE to 71st Ave NE.
- Reconstruct 71st Ave NE from US 83/ND 1804 to 66th St NE.
- Realign and extend Divide Ave along Commerce Dr and 17th Ave NE from west of the Bismark Expwy to 66th St NE.
- They are keeping open the long-term possibility of another southern beltway, which would tie into I-94 at 66th St NE and a possible new interchange at 56th Ave NW (about 2 miles east of ND 25/Exit 147).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.