News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Speed Limits Possibly Going Up in Oklahoma

Started by Bobby5280, May 10, 2016, 01:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

Quote from: Associated PressOKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - The maximum speed limit on Oklahoma turnpikes and highways could be going up under a bill signed into law by Gov. Mary Fallin.

The governor signed 19 bills into law on Monday, including one that eliminates the 75 mph maximum speed limit for turnpikes and rural segments of the interstate system.

The maximum speed limit of 70 miles per hour on four-lane divided highways and 65 miles per hour for other location also would be stricken from the bill. Instead, the Oklahoma Department of Transportation would be able to set maximum speeds based on engineering studies used to determine a speed that is "reasonable and safe under the conditions."

Fallin has signed 284 bills into law so far this session, and vetoed two others.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I'm not sure what to think about this. Does this new law mean the speed limit on certain turnpike stretches could be eliminated completely (like no speed limit at all) or does it mean we could see 80mph signs in certain places?

I wouldn't mind seeing speed limits on some parts of Oklahoma turnpikes being set at 80mph or even 85mph. But if the speed limits are raised I would personally like to see enforcement of minimum speed limits. It's one thing to have a maniac blow past doing 100mph but it's another thing to come up fast on someone crawling along at 30mph. I think slow drivers are just as much a danger on the roads as fast drivers.

I think speed limits are high enough on many of the regular 2-lane and 4-lane roads. The speed limits may even be too high in some cases. One of my girlfriend's friends was killed a few days ago in a head on collision near Lake Lawtonka on OK-58 near the OK-49 intersection. He was driving a van. Some other guy in a pickup came across the center line and collided with him head-on. Both drivers were killed immediately in the crash. Driving on 2-lane roads in rural areas can be dicey with so much distracted driving happening (like mobile phone use behind the wheel).

jakeroot

Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 10, 2016, 01:41:01 PM
One of my girlfriend's friends was killed a few days ago in a head on collision near Lake Lawtonka on OK-58 near the OK-49 intersection. He was driving a van. Some other guy in a pickup came across the center line and collided with him head-on. Both drivers were killed immediately in the crash. Driving on 2-lane roads in rural areas can be dicey with so much distracted driving happening (like mobile phone use behind the wheel).

I am sorry for her loss, but it shouldn't be ours: the best way to protect against high speed, cross-over impacts is to install a barrier, not to lower the limit. Remember, limits aren't meant to be arbitrary: they are based on the prevailing speed of the 85th percentile. Simply lowering the limit does not little to impact the prevailing speed of the 85th percentile.

If cross-over collisions are becoming a problem in the area where her friend was killed, they should consider a varying 1/2+1 setup like this:

jeffandnicole

QuoteFor example, on 85 MPH sections of interstates in Texas, the 85th percentile is now 86 MPH.  This is pretty well established at this point, you increase the speed limit, you increase the average speed. 

Interesting stuff Bazoo.  Considering the only highway in Texas with an 85 mph limit is a brand new highway that never had any other speed limit and is a state road.  The total mileage of interstate highway in Texas with an 85 mph limit is 0.

vdeane

The "everyone will drive faster if the speed limit is increased" myth has been busted so many times that I have a hard time understanding why anyone still repeats it.  While there are some of us that fear getting a ticket that may affect the average, they won't affect the 85th percentile speed unless enforcement is particularly stringent because, by and large, people drive the speed they are comfortable with.  The numbers on the signs only factor in when the police are around.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 10, 2016, 05:51:20 PM
QuoteFor example, on 85 MPH sections of interstates in Texas, the 85th percentile is now 86 MPH.  This is pretty well established at this point, you increase the speed limit, you increase the average speed. 

Interesting stuff Bazoo.  Considering the only highway in Texas with an 85 mph limit is a brand new highway that never had any other speed limit and is a state road.  The total mileage of interstate highway in Texas with an 85 mph limit is 0.

Plus I can't think of any other road where the 85th percentile speed is anywhere close to the posted speed limit.  Certainly not around here.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

As I understand it, this simply removes the statutory caps on speed limits in OK. ODOT/OTA would have the ability to raise the speed limit if they feel conditions warrant it, but they are not required to do so. This simply gives the engineers the authority to raise the speed limits.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 41

I actually think the speed limits in Oklahoma are about perfect. 65 on 2 lane highways is awesome and getting to drive 70 on unlimited access 4 lane highways is pretty sweet too. I wouldn't mind seeing 75 on I-40 and I-35 though. The 70 mph speed limit on I-35 / I-40 is my only complaint about Oklahoma's speed limits. At the very least I think I-40 from El Reno to the TX state line should be 75.

I shunpike I-44 across Oklahoma by using (MO 43 from Joplin,) US 60, OK 66, US 277, and US 81 (and TX 79 to Wichita Falls). I highly recommend those routes if you want to shunpike I-44. The speed limits are set perfectly. No complains from me.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Scott5114

OK speed limits are generally good, but I could see some justification for 70-75 on some two-lane roads west of US-81. Texas posts a lot of their two-lane roads in the region with at least 70.

rte66man

Quote from: US 41 on May 19, 2016, 07:54:48 PM
I actually think the speed limits in Oklahoma are about perfect. 65 on 2 lane highways is awesome and getting to drive 70 on unlimited access 4 lane highways is pretty sweet too. I wouldn't mind seeing 75 on I-40 and I-35 though. The 70 mph speed limit on I-35 / I-40 is my only complaint about Oklahoma's speed limits. At the very least I think I-40 from El Reno to the TX state line should be 75.

I shunpike I-44 across Oklahoma by using (MO 43 from Joplin,) US 60, OK 66, US 277, and US 81 (and TX 79 to Wichita Falls). I highly recommend those routes if you want to shunpike I-44. The speed limits are set perfectly. No complains from me.

That's great if you have the extra time.  A l,ong time ago, OTA used to have very large BGS's on the Turner, Will Rogers, and Bailey stating how much time you would save by taking the turnpike rather than the free roads.  IIRC, your route would take an extra 4-5 hours.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 19, 2016, 06:57:25 PM
As I understand it, this simply removes the statutory caps on speed limits in OK. ODOT/OTA would have the ability to raise the speed limit if they feel conditions warrant it, but they are not required to do so. This simply gives the engineers the authority to raise the speed limits.

You are correct Scott.  Given the current design of many of OK roads, the earlier posters are also correct that existing speed limits are about where they should be.  IMO it would be a HUGE mistake to raise the speed limit on I35.  Most of it was designed/built in the 1960's and has many design "features" such as narrow medians, inadequate bridge pier protection, etc that should preclude any major speed limit change
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Brandon

Which is probably a good idea to implement everywhere.  Politicians have zero business setting a speed limit.  Leave the engineer's job to the professional engineer.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Brandon on May 24, 2016, 09:28:04 AM

Which is probably a good idea to implement everywhere.  Politicians have zero business setting a speed limit.  Leave the engineer's job to the professional engineer.

Even today, basically that's how it's supposed to be done.  But even when a speed limit should be the statutory maximum, politicians will come in and say the speed limit needs to be lowered.  Simply removing those statutory limits won't stop politicians from telling engineers that the speed limit will be lower, regardless of what that engineer says.  After all, in most departments, the engineer's boss's boss's boss reports directly to the politician that can put pressure on his staff to do what the politician demands of them.

vdeane

That's why politicians need to stop micromanaging the civil servants.  Let the agencies do their job.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bugo

Has there been any recent news about this?

Nexus 5X

Scott5114

With the law being passed, ODOT can raise the limits by as much as they want. It would appear zero is as much as they want.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.