News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Oklahoma City Crosstown

Started by Scott5114, August 20, 2010, 05:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

If you're not familiar with it, the Crosstown is the mostly elevated six-lane section of I-40 between I-44 and I-35 in downtown OKC. It's in the process of being replaced with a 10-lane non-elevated freeway a few blocks to the south, further from Downtown. Even so, we're still having some problems with the old alignment...

Quote from: http://newsok.com/i-40-reopens-in-oklahoma-city-after-hole-in-road-fixed/article/3486663
All lanes of Interstate 40 have been reopened in Oklahoma City after a hole in the Crosstown Expressway bridge prompted officials to make emergency repairs.

Repairs began about 8:15 a.m. and were finished by about 1:35 p.m., the state Transportation Department said. The freeway was narrowed to one westbound lane while crews closed the hole.

The hole in the deteriorating roadway, which was built in the mid-1960s, was between Western Avenue and Classen Boulevard. It was a foot wide and 6 feet long in the center lane.

The bridge is expected to be replaced by 2012, Transportation Department spokeswoman Brenda Perry said.

"This is not a new problem," Perry said. "It's prone to having surface trouble due to the deteriorating roadway."

She said there have been no reports of cars being damaged by the hole.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

An Oklahoma freeway falling apart?  That never happens. :rolleyes:

okroads

It seems like 95% of the holes in the Crosstown form on the less than 1/4 mile long section between Western & Classen.

okroads

There is yet another hole in the Crosstown today. This one is in the westbound lanes between Robinson & Classen...

http://www.newsok.com/article/3488670

Scott5114

At least there's not too many people doing the NIMBY thing on this project. Does ODOT have all of the right of way bought? How was that train thing ever resolved?

rte66man

Went out today for a short time to take some new photos of the I-40 Crosstown progress. They can be seen at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rte66man/sets/72157624834879162/

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Scott5114

Nice shots. Kinda interesting how they're building the bridges first and just leaving grass underneath for now. Seems like it'd be easier to just put the mainline in at the same time you're doing all the abutments and such.

Interesting how that Walker ramp is wedged in between the rail line and the mainline like that. Hopefully they're still leaving adequate merging room there. I'm guessing Exchange isn't getting an on/off ramp.

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 01, 2010, 07:29:35 PM
Nice shots. Kinda interesting how they're building the bridges first and just leaving grass underneath for now. Seems like it'd be easier to just put the mainline in at the same time you're doing all the abutments and such.

Has to do with machinery.  You'd like to have all your grading machinery do the pass through once, thus you only need it rented and/or mobilized for one period instead of lugging it back and forth or having it sit around.  Same with paving, etc.

rte66man

You are right about Exchange. No ramps in either direction.  I suspect that the Robinson ramps will be like Walker in that they will be squeezed between the road and the rail.

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

Link from today's Daily Disappointment:
http://newsok.com/article/3492762

Essentially, ODOT is advertising the second of three paving contracts for the new I40 Crosstown.  Gary Ridley, ODOT Director, is quoted as saying the third paving contract won't be advertised until next Spring.  That's probably just as well based on the progress between Western and the Bricktown Canal.  Lots of prep work is left before it will be ready for paving.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.