News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Picture of what is now I-44 at OK/MO line

Started by bugo, November 23, 2012, 08:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Was this MO 266 at this time?  The car appears to be a '55 or '56 Buick.

Scott5114

I doubt this had any designation. It was probably just "To Will Rogers Turnpike", and then picked up US 166 at the Baxter Springs turnoff.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

I've seen several maps that showed what is now I-44 east of the Baxter Springs interchange as US 166 and the part from the interchange to the OK line as MO 266.

kinupanda

MoDOT's 1957 map is the first time this segment is shown as completed, and it is indeed labeled as Route 266.

Scott5114

In that case...we likely have a photo showing the entirety of a decommissioned route.

It is a neat photo in any event. It's cool seeing a historic photo of a stretch of road you instantly recognize.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

Road Hog

I love that old welcome sign. The newer ones look too much like Mississippi license plates with the stylized S's. I have to look twice to see that it says Missouri.

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on December 11, 2012, 08:21:37 AM
I love that old welcome sign. The newer ones look too much like Mississippi license plates with the stylized S's. I have to look twice to see that it says Missouri.

It changed again a couple years ago
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

Quote from: bugo on November 24, 2012, 08:21:15 PM
I've seen several maps that showed what is now I-44 east of the Baxter Springs interchange as US 166 and the part from the interchange to the OK line as MO 266.

Yes. 166 was rerouted onto what's now I-44 just east of what's now the Diamond/Carthage exit. Old 166 is still visible from I-44:

http://goo.gl/maps/r813E
http://goo.gl/maps/Vqkog

Road Hog

Quote from: US71 on December 11, 2012, 09:13:51 AM

Still love the classical one better.

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on December 11, 2012, 09:30:43 AM
Quote from: US71 on December 11, 2012, 09:13:51 AM

Still love the classical one better.

No argument there  :clap:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.