News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Gordon on April 26, 2017, 02:46:34 PM
President Trump said on the news he wanted infrastructure projects to ready to put people to work within 3 months when they get a bill passed to spend money. Looks like Scott Bennett has I-49 on his back burner. Same thing happened when Stimulus bill passed. Bella Vista bypass was not ready for construction so they could only use 2 million for utility relocation. This Time Governor Hutchinson Asked for the bridge project get started on design and engineering work or there wouldn't be nothing at all ready. That is called dropping the ball for a priority road that needs to be built. He could ask Missouri to ask jointly for money to finish Bella Vista Bypass to 4 lanes.

He will soon realize what he wants is probably not going to be able to happen within his first 100 days. 3 months seens a bit unrealistic, considering the shape our economy is already in.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on March 05, 2017, 10:20:19 PM
Quote from: O Tamandua on March 05, 2017, 03:06:55 PM

(I-49 in Springdale looking north toward Don Tyson Parkway.  A potential EIGHT lane interstate?  No wonder 2 of the 3 Fort Smith/NWA stations have moved their main ops from FSM to NWA...now just watch what happens to FSM when I-49 is completed...)

I've seen plans for an 8-lane interstate: it would likely require several businesses having to move, though Econo Lodge & Quality Inn would be no great loss, IMO.

Right now, 8-Lanes aren't needed since most drivers don't know how to use the far left lane. Knowing AHTD though, they will wait until it's urgent to widen the road again.

The great thing about AHTD is that they future-proof Arkansas' Interstates by alotting ample room for future expansion. Way to go! But, why are they purposing 8? We don't have any city population big enough for 8 (We are CA or L. A.).

Grzrd

Quote from: Gordon on April 26, 2017, 02:46:34 PM
President Trump said on the news he wanted infrastructure projects to ready to put people to work within 3 months when they get a bill passed to spend money.

In AHTD's April 26 Presentation to the Arkansas Higway Commission, They appear well aware of the 90 day limit (p. 8/132 of pdf):

That said, they have a 2022 letting date for the Arkansas River bridge (p. 9/132 of pdf):

I suppose that, with the plan supposedly being ten years, they can get away with the 2022 date.  They do have the Bella Vista Bypass being ready to go in late 2017.

US71

The southern terminus of the Bella Vista Bypass will be dedicated May 10.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

The southern leg of the Bella Vista Bypass from AR 72 near Hiwasse to US 71 at Bella Vista was dedicated just before Noon today, but is NOT open to traffic. AHTD Director Scott Bennett says it will likely open "sometime next week" after the striping is done and signs erected.

Former director Bobby Hopper was in attendance, but did not speak.

csw

What's up with the hot wheels slide in that presentation? I know I would love to see loop-de-loop MOT...

Unrelated to the previous few posts, I'd like to say that although I always love to see new interstates, I hope they can connect I-49 from Louisiana to NW Arkansas without tearing up too much of the Ouachita Natl Forest. I visited about a year and half ago and I would consider that area (west central AR, incl. Hot Springs) to be one of my favorite "hidden gems" that I've experienced. I would almost compare it to the Smokies, with better weather.

Revive 755

Regarding the linked presentation, I certainly hope many of the items on Slide 10/127 get implemented or at least somewhat streamlined.  The bat tree clearing restrictions are getting ridiculous - I don't know what it is in Arkansas, but IIRC it was April 1 to September 30 for Illinois.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: csw on May 11, 2017, 10:17:22 PM
What's up with the hot wheels slide in that presentation? I know I would love to see loop-de-loop MOT...

Unrelated to the previous few posts, I'd like to say that although I always love to see new interstates, I hope they can connect I-49 from Louisiana to NW Arkansas without tearing up too much of the Ouachita Natl Forest. I visited about a year and half ago and I would consider that area (west central AR, incl. Hot Springs) to be one of my favorite "hidden gems" that I've experienced. I would almost compare it to the Smokies, with better weather.

Yeah, same here with I-49. Only if District 4 gets off their asses and finishs the section in Fort Smith! It has been just that, a segment for a long time now!

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 11, 2017, 10:59:47 PM
Quote from: csw on May 11, 2017, 10:17:22 PM

Yeah, same here with I-49. Only if District 4 gets off their asses and finish the section in Fort Smith! It has been just that, a segment for a long time now!
They won't do anything without a bridge over the Arkansas River. They discussed that yesterday at the ribbon cutting

TheArkansasRoadgeek

WHAT THE FUCK?! They could at least get the Masard Rd. and others complete in Fort Smith and then they could quite litterally cross the bridge once they get there. Wow, just wow. I don't understand, like logically they is work still to be done whether there's a bridge built or not! I am sure you understand this too, US71.

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 11, 2017, 11:23:39 PM
WHAT THE FUCK?! They could at least get the Masard Rd. and others complete in Fort Smith and then they could quite litterally cross the bridge once they get there. Wow, just wow. I don't understand, like logically they is work still to be done whether there's a bridge built or not! I am sure you understand this too, US71.

???
There is an open interchange at Massard Rd as well as Roberts Rd, so I'm not sure I follow you.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on May 11, 2017, 11:31:07 PM

???
There is an open interchange at Massard Rd as well as Roberts Rd, so I'm not sure I follow you.

Google Maps is not quite up-to-date, but in regards to just finishing the US 71 interchange at White Bluff and futher up, they could just complete the land portion and then worry about the bridge.

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 11, 2017, 11:58:43 PM

???

Google Maps is not quite up-to-date, but in regards to just finishing the US 71 interchange at White Bluff and futher up, they could just complete the land portion and then worry about the bridge.

I think I understand what you mean, but there's no where to go north of AR 22 until a bridge is built.I'm sure the intersecting county roads will simply be grade separated.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on May 12, 2017, 12:06:09 AM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 11, 2017, 11:58:43 PM

???

I think I understand what you mean, but there's no where to go north of AR 22 until a bridge is built.I'm sure the intersecting county roads will simply be grade separated.

You gotta love the county roads of Arkansas! For example, in Greenwood there is a road (I forget the first one, something ridge), then rounding a bend Gate Nine Rd, but also it switches very aburptly to something else at the sametime.

Gordon

With the latest section of Bella Vista Bypass open for traffic it looks like any new sections of I-49 for construction is put on hold until 2021. Widening I-49 is on going in NWA area. I don't see any fast lane projects on Missouri's Department of Transportation. Does anybody know if they are asking for fast lane projects.

US71

Quote from: Gordon on May 18, 2017, 11:02:09 AM
With the latest section of Bella Vista Bypass open for traffic it looks like any new sections of I-49 for construction is put on hold until 2021. Widening I-49 is on going in NWA area. I don't see any fast lane projects on Missouri's Department of Transportation. Does anybody know if they are asking for fast lane projects.

None for 49 that I have seen.

Gordon

Who is doing the engineering work for the section I 49 between I 40 and Barling which includes the Arkansas river bridge? Never saw anything on AHTD except when they were asking for Firms of interest.

Grzrd

AHTD (soon to be ARDOT) apparently announced to the Arkansas Highway Commission that it will submit a joint application with MoDOT to finally complete the Bella Vista Bypass during the next round of FASTLANE and/or TIGER grant applications (p. 22/148 of pdf):

Maybe they'll get it.

I-39

Quote from: Grzrd on June 09, 2017, 11:44:05 AM
AHTD (soon to be ARDOT) apparently announced to the Arkansas Highway Commission that it will submit a joint application with MoDOT to finally complete the Bella Vista Bypass during the next round of FASTLANE and/or TIGER grant applications (p. 22/148 of pdf):

Maybe they'll get it.

I don't see why they shouldn't. This is a key project and has been delayed way too long. Basically, its just a matter of a few miles of four lane freeway and widening the existing two lane segments to four. It shouldn't require too much money.

They need to get this done so Arkansas can turn their attention to the Fort Smith-Texarkana portion of I-49.

Bobby5280

Earlier today President Trump gave a news conference about his $1 trillion infrastructure plan. One key part of his speech: complaining how regulations and bureaucracy have suffocated development of things like roads. He mentioned an 18 mile long highway project in Maryland that has taken at least 20 years of red tape struggle before the project could move forward. In the past this nation has built big things relatively fast (he mentioned the Hoover Dam and Empire State Building as two notable examples). The first 40,000 miles of the Interstate highway system were built relatively fast. Today, building a single freeway (such as the I-49 or I-69 projects) is taking decades. The resulting roads that finally get built are twisty, inefficiently crooked corridors. That really goes for the I-69 segments from Arkansas to Indiana.

I don't know how much luck President Trump and the GOP will have at greatly streamlining the regulatory process of planning and building highways. One thing is certain: the current system is absolutely terrible. The current system does only seem to exist to give lawyers and bureaucrats something to do. The more they hold up a highway project the more they get paid. It's all billable hours, you know.

So, perhaps with some luck, the I-49 projects like the Belle Vista bypass could get put on the fast track if they suddenly get some political winds blowing at their back. AR DOT needs to get FASTLANE and TIGER grant applications filed for the I-49 Arkansas River crossing at Fort Smith while they're at it.

US71

Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 09, 2017, 03:00:36 PM
Earlier today President Trump gave a news conference about his $1 trillion infrastructure plan. One key part of his speech: complaining how regulations and bureaucracy have suffocated development of things like roads. He mentioned an 18 mile long highway project in Maryland that has taken at least 20 years of red tape struggle before the project could move forward. In the past this nation has built big things relatively fast (he mentioned the Hoover Dam and Empire State Building as two notable examples). The first 40,000 miles of the Interstate highway system were built relatively fast. Today, building a single freeway (such as the I-49 or I-69 projects) is taking decades. The resulting roads that finally get built are twisty, inefficiently crooked corridors. That really goes for the I-69 segments from Arkansas to Indiana.

I don't know how much luck President Trump and the GOP will have at greatly streamlining the regulatory process of planning and building highways. One thing is certain: the current system is absolutely terrible. The current system does only seem to exist to give lawyers and bureaucrats something to do. The more they hold up a highway project the more they get paid. It's all billable hours, you know.

So, perhaps with some luck, the I-49 projects like the Bella Vista bypass could get put on the fast track if they suddenly get some political winds blowing at their back. AR DOT needs to get FASTLANE and TIGER grant applications filed for the I-49 Arkansas River crossing at Fort Smith while they're at it.

There's never enough money to do it right, but plenty of money to do it over (at least in Arkansas) ;)

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on June 10, 2017, 09:06:53 AM

So, perhaps with some luck, the I-49 projects like the Bella Vista bypass could get put on the fast track if they suddenly get some political winds blowing at their back. AR DOT needs to get FASTLANE and TIGER grant applications filed for the I-49 Arkansas River crossing at Fort Smith while they're at it.

There's never enough money to do it right, but plenty of money to do it over (at least in Arkansas) ;)

That's the way it seems!

JJBers

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 10, 2017, 05:10:41 PM
Quote from: US71 on June 10, 2017, 09:06:53 AM

That's the way it seems!
Well, in Connecticut, we don't even have enough money to do it over again. :(
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Grzrd

In ARDOT's July 26, 2017 presentation to the Arkansas State Highway Commission, they informed the Commission that they will submit the joint application for the Bella Vista Bypass as an INFRA grant application by the November 2 deadline (pp. 25-26/85 of pdf):

Also, for the November 15 letting, ARDOT is tentatively planning to add the other two lanes to the majority of the Bella Vista Bypass:

Slowly, but surely ...............

robbones

Quote from: Grzrd on August 16, 2017, 10:53:41 AM

In ARDOT's July 26, 2017 presentation to the Arkansas State Highway Commission, they informed the Commission that they will submit the joint application for the Bella Vista Bypass as an INFRA grant application by the November 2 deadline (pp. 25-26/85 of pdf):

Also, for the November 15 letting, ARDOT is tentatively planning to add the other two lanes to the majority of the Bella Vista Bypass:

Slowly, but surely ...............
On the next page of the PDF, it also States the final 7.1 miles of the Bella Vista Bypass is up for letting as a combination project.

LGL64VL

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.