News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rivalries between suburbs in the same metro area

Started by Pink Jazz, June 21, 2015, 02:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I would like to know, could anyone name some rivalries of suburbs within the same metro area?

Here in the Phoenix area, there tends to be a rivalry between the East Valley (Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, Scottsdale, etc.) and the West Valley (Glendale, Peoria, Surprise, Avondale, Goodyear, etc.).  Some people in the East Valley seem to think the entire West Valley is ghetto, while some people in the West Valley seem to think those in the East Valley are snobs.

02 Park Ave

In southern New Jersey, there is rivalry between Haddonfield and Moorestown.  Both are well-to-do and Quaker dominated.  Until two years ago they were both dry.  Now Moorestown has set up an exempt area so that some restraunts would open there.
C-o-H

ET21

Chicago vs the suburbs. For some reason, people born in Chicago city limits hate it when someone born in one of the suburbs says they are from Chicago.

Honestly, it's easier to say "I'm from Chicago" then "I'm from Homer Glen" when talking with someone who doesn't know the area.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hotdogPi

Philadelphia suburbs: Pennsylvania vs. New Jersey
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Buffaboy

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

pumpkineater2

Quote from: Pink Jazz on June 21, 2015, 02:26:32 PM
Some people in the East Valley seem to think the entire West Valley is ghetto, while some people in the West Valley seem to think those in the East Valley are snobs.

Well, the west valley is kind of ghetto, but then again it has its better parts. I think Avondale is the most ghetto suburb in the valley IMO.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: ET21 on June 21, 2015, 02:35:49 PM
Chicago vs the suburbs. For some reason, people born in Chicago city limits hate it when someone born in one of the suburbs says they are from Chicago.

Honestly, it's easier to say "I'm from Chicago" then "I'm from Homer Glen" when talking with someone who doesn't know the area.

I kept running into this with people from the Milwaukee suburbs. They would always say "I'm from ________" instead of just saying Milwaukee. Being a roadgeek meant I generally knew where __________ was, but a lot of other people wouldn't.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

pianocello

Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Pink Jazz

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on June 21, 2015, 04:12:24 PM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on June 21, 2015, 02:26:32 PM
Some people in the East Valley seem to think the entire West Valley is ghetto, while some people in the West Valley seem to think those in the East Valley are snobs.

Well, the west valley is kind of ghetto, but then again it has its better parts. I think Avondale is the most ghetto suburb in the valley IMO.

What fuels the stereotype of the entire West Valley being ghetto is the west Phoenix neighborhood of Maryvale.  Other areas that are to avoid include Tolleson (within the actual city limits, not the entire Tolleson zip code) and southeast Glendale.  Also, not all of Avondale is ghetto; the city north of I-10 is actually fairly nice.

Note that there are some areas in the East Valley that aren't so nice either.  One such area is the tiny town of Guadalupe.  Other not so nice areas of the East Valley include Tempe between Baseline and ASU, as well as much of west Mesa (although northwest Mesa isn't so bad and the city is trying to revitalize the Fiesta District which was once considered to be one of the worst areas of the city).

Brandon

However, for those of us further out, we say "I'm from Joliet", not Chicago.

Then, there's the north vs. south stuff.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Doctor Whom

Maryland suburbs of D.C. vs. Northern Virginia. Within Maryland, Montgomery County vs. Prince George's County.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

New Jersey verses New York.  NJ loses as most TV and radio reports cover NY more.

However, if NJ fought as hard as they did to keep full serve gas in getting NJ equally covered in culture, they would be known as part of the same as NY is.  Remember, they still kept full serve even after other states have been making fun of them for decades for not allowing self service.  Also the jughandles have remained even though 49 other states also make fun of them for it as well.

Keep up the fight with being equal to both NY and PA in the media and culture and NJ would be recongonized as being part of the area.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SP Cook

Las Vegas residents divide into north and west of the Strip and south and east of it.  Each has a complete set of services and they mostly do not interact with one another.

Cincinnati seems to divide into Kentucky, which seem to be new to the area, younger and more successful, and Ohio, who tend to be natives and somewhat insular.

Desert Man

In the Inland Empire region of so CA: Riverside vs San Bernardino, as well SB vs Ontario and Riv vs Temecula. We also have the Palm Springs area like PS and Palm Desert vs. Indio/Coachella. The older, lower-income parts (central cities) of the area compete with the newer, upper-income suburbs or smaller towns. The highest annual income averages in the region go to Redlands and Loma Linda in SB county, and Rancho Mirage and Indian Wells in Riv county, but towns like Corona-Norco near Riverside, Chino Hills on the SB-LA/OR county line, Rancho Cucamonga and Lake Elsinore-Canyon Lake aren't far behind in the prosperity index. The mountain communities like Arrowhead and Big Bear known for their lakes north of San Bernardino have summer homes for the affluent, while the poorest towns tend to be in the Mojave and Colorado deserts farthest from urban centers. My town I live in (La Quinta CA) is mostly new since the 1980s and it's the opposite of Desert Hot Springs, said to have the highest crime and poverty rates for the Inland Empire.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Scott5114

Norman tends to regard Edmond as uppity, button down, and boring. Dunno what Edmond thinks of us, but I can't imagine it's much nicer.

Everyone picks on Moore for having no character and getting blown  off the map every few years.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jp the roadgeek

For CT itself, the rivalry is between the Gold Coast people of lower Fairfield County who are NY wannabes vs. the rest of the state.  The dividing line would have to be route 35 and route 58. As for Hartford, it's east of the Connecticut River vs. west. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman65

Are not the 5 boroughs of New York City rivals?  I know Staten Island is known as the forgotten borough and people tend to forget it is part of the great city except for the garbage which is dumped on a landfill along the west shore which everyone knows to take there especially the city workers.

From what I see they all seem in one way or another vie for the title of the true New York.  Manhattan holds the title for being the part of New York ahead in business.  Brooklyn holds the title for neighborhood culture and diversity.  I am sure the other 3 have something special they all push like Staten Island being suburbia within a city limits, and Queens with all of its different neighborhoods being like their own little cities.  The Bronx (no offense) but I am not sure what it has that differs it from the rest of the city, so I will not try to speculate.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Doctor Whom on June 21, 2015, 05:34:06 PM
Maryland suburbs of D.C. vs. Northern Virginia. Within Maryland, Montgomery County vs. Prince George's County.

When it comes to employment, the Maryland suburbs nearly always lose to Northern Virginia.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

doorknob60

Ada County (Boise, Meridian) vs Canyon County (Nampa, Caldwell). This rivalry is helped by the fact that Idaho's license plates are coded by counties (1A for Ada County and 2C for Canyon County), so you can tell where someone is from on the road by their plates.

slorydn1

Quote from: Brandon on June 21, 2015, 05:23:46 PM

However, for those of us further out, we say "I'm from Joliet", not Chicago.

Then, there's the north vs. south stuff.

When I lived there I told everyone I met that I was from Schaumburg. I continued that when I first moved here, too, only to be met with a blank stare. I finally succumbed and started saying that I was from Chicago.

That was not entirely untrue, as my high school was located at the corner of Rush and Chestnut, right in the shadow of the John Hancock building and Water Tower Place.

Oh and I never subscribed to that north vs south thing when I lived there. I pulled for the Cubs and Sox equally, which got me nowhere (the Sox didn't win it all until 15 years after I left town, and the Cubs, well we all are still waiting for that,LOL).
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

silverback1065

In the Indy area, Fishers has a rivalry with Carmel, but honestly, I think all the northern suburbs (Noblesville, Westfield, Cicero, Fishers) hate Carmel.

DTComposer

In L.A., I wouldn't necessarily call it a rival per se, but definitely some perceptions/stereotypes between the Westside, the San Fernando Valley, and the San Gabriel Valley.

In Orange County, definitely a North County vs. South County vibe (dividing line being roughly CA-55).

DandyDan

In the Omaha area, everyone likes to make a mockery of Council Bluffs, or, as some people call it, Counciltucky.  I think the real rivalry is between the part of Omaha east of 72nd St. and West Omaha.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Stephane Dumas

In Montreal, it's the South Shore (Longueuil, Chateauguay) vs Laval and the North shore (Repentigny, Ste-Thérèse)

Quebec city vs Levis.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.