New Food Chains that you have found while on the road

Started by roadman65, July 01, 2015, 09:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

The doughnuts at Dunklin' Donuts usually have some weird ingredient (I'm guessing it's a preservative) that leaves a cloying aftertaste in almost every flavor. The coffee usually tastes watered-down and weak.

I don't get the appeal of it, although if someone else brings a dozen or two, I'll partake and temporarily forget what I just posted.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: formulanone on July 22, 2015, 07:06:37 AM
The doughnuts at Dunklin' Donuts usually have some weird ingredient (I'm guessing it's a preservative) that leaves a cloying aftertaste in almost every flavor. The coffee usually tastes watered-down and weak.

I don't get the appeal of it, although if someone else brings a dozen or two, I'll partake and temporarily forget what I just posted.

Yes, you have summed it all up nicely.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 22, 2015, 07:31:39 AM

Quote from: formulanone on July 22, 2015, 07:06:37 AM

Yes, you have summed it all up nicely.
Since I'm younger, Dunkin Donuts have this really great appeal to me and taste sweet. Well, I do have a strong sweet tooth  :sombrero:
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Rothman

Makes me wonder if there's a doughnut place that everyone can agree is a great place for doughnuts.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Pete from Boston

There are a lot of well-established local donut places here, so I might be spoiled.  But I do feel Dunkin has come to taste more and more like something out of a box.

Predictably, as they move down the line the hipsters have picked donuts the next food to overthink. The new thing here now is expensive gourmet donuts with things like bacon and bourbon in them. Me, I prefer a simpler product well made.

Rothman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 22, 2015, 10:00:21 AM
There are a lot of well-established local donut places here, so I might be spoiled. 

Spill the beans.  Which ones are you talking about?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Rothman on July 22, 2015, 11:32:26 AM
There are a lot of well-established local donut places here, so I might be spoiled. 

Twin Do-Nut in Allston, Mass.   Kane's in Saugus.  Donuts With a Difference, Medford.

I have never had a Boston Donuts donut, nor a Dippin' Donuts one, but I admire their flirtation with visual trademark infringement.

Rothman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 22, 2015, 11:36:59 AM
Quote from: Rothman on July 22, 2015, 11:32:26 AM

Twin Do-Nut in Allston, Mass.   Kane's in Saugus.  Donuts With a Difference, Medford.

I have never had a Boston Donuts donut, nor a Dippin' Donuts one, but I admire their flirtation with visual trademark infringement.

Thanks for the list!

cjk374

I found a DD in Huntsville, AL during my trip in March. It was only their 2nd day of operation when I ordered my very 1st DD food. Not impressed with their donuts or other food items, but I was pleasantly surprised that their sweet tea was really good. But then again, anyone who lives down south should know how to make a good pitcher of sweet tea.   :bigass:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

doorknob60

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 21, 2015, 04:41:34 PM

Quote from: corco on July 21, 2015, 02:28:59 PM
McDonald's is consistent from restaurant to restaurant, but inconsistent from experience to experience. A Big Mac is a Big Mac everywhere, but a Big Mac that has been sitting on the warmer for 20 minutes is not the same as a fresh one, and some franchises are worse about tossing old food than others.

McDonald's vary greatly from country to country, at least:

http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/article/crazy-meals-mcdonalds-menus-around-world.html

Sure, but here is a quarter pounder meal from McDonald's in Costa Rica.

It doesn't just look indistinguishable from what you'd get in the US. It also tasted identical to what you'd get in the US. Sure, they had a few difference in the menu, but there were more similarities than differences.

In terms of regional/local chains I enjoy:

In-N-Out (CA, NV, UT)
Burgerville (around Portland)
These billboards they used were always pretty cool:

Taco Time (this one's a stretch because they seem to have expanded fairly far and I grew up with it, but it was founded in Oregon and I know they're most common around here)
Taco John's (Mountain West area, based in WY; the one in Nampa recently closed unfortunately)
Five Guys (also a stretch because they're nationwide AFAIK, but I discovered it while we lived in Bend, and the closest one was over 100 miles away in Salem, so we found it while on the road)

Jim

Looking for chicken strips last night along US 78/Future I-22 but not finding a Zaxby's, Raising Cane's, or Guthrie's nearby, I found the Tupelo location of Abner's.  Not bad.  In fact, they tasted almost exactly like the chicken strips I make at home.  From their web site, it looks like they currently have 5 locations in Mississippi and one in Tennessee.  I hadn't heard of Abner's until looking for food options last night.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

TheHighwayMan3561

How do people feel about eating chains that you don't have close to home? For me that would be Quaker Steak & Lube and Cracker Barrel. I don't have an issue eating those on the road even though they're chains.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 25, 2015, 12:35:15 AM
How do people feel about eating chains that you don't have close to home? For me that would be Quaker Steak & Lube and Cracker Barrel. I don't have an issue eating those on the road even though they're chains.

That describes my relationship with Sheetz.

I've eaten at a number of the regional chains I mentioned in my post upthread (like Freddie's and the one whose name I forget but where I ate in Springfield, Mo.). Have never done Eat 'n' Park. I would like to try Friendly's sometime if I am ever in their area again. I stopped by a Friendly's once but it was jam-packed, and I didn't want to wait.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

realjd

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 25, 2015, 12:35:15 AM

Eat what you like. I usually try to avoid chains (not against it, just prefer something more interesting) but am generally much more open to eating at chains that I don't have at home. Cantina Laredo and PF Changs are two of my favorites. If they opened up here in Melbourne, I'd probably stop eating at them when traveling.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion here, but I really don't get the appeal of a Cracker Barrel and Bob Evans that specialize in "home cooked" style food. If I want that style, I'll just cook it myself. And while they do have decent breakfasts, I much prefer going onto help and finding an interesting local diner or something.

rawmustard

I suppose I should give an update since I took my Charlotte trip. I had lunch Friday at a Bojangles' in Huntersville, NC, then Sunday I lunched at a Krystal in Bristol, VA (got chicken wings instead of their signature sliders). It was interesting that many of the items on the latter's menu board looked to be discontinued. And then for dinner Sunday night in Lexington, I went to Pies & Pints, which has an interesting draft board (although I didn't drink that night) and only eight locations.

english si

Quote from: rawmustard on July 30, 2015, 09:31:45 AMAnd then for dinner Sunday night in Lexington, I went to Pies & Pints, which has an interesting draft board (although I didn't drink that night) and only eight locations.
Here was me expecting a British restaurant, rather than a Pizzaria (probably as we never refer to Pizzas as Pies over this side of the pond).

A nice Chicken and Mushroom:

Steak and Kidney:

Steak and Ale:

and obviously Shepherd's Pie:

Good hearty winter fayre. In summer, it's not so good.

Despite that, it looks a decent place, and it's good to see that the 'Pints' part isn't just beer, but also has cider.

hbelkins

Quote from: rawmustard on July 30, 2015, 09:31:45 AMSunday I lunched at a Krystal in Bristol, VA

Basically, a southern White Castle. Few towns have both a Krystal and a White Castle.

QuoteAnd then for dinner Sunday night in Lexington, I went to Pies & Pints, which has an interesting draft board (although I didn't drink that night) and only eight locations.

Not sure that I've ever heard of them.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Back in 1993 there was both a Krystal and a White Castle near Nashville both at the same intersection. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

GCrites

Quote from: realjd on July 25, 2015, 08:57:53 PM

I know this will be an unpopular opinion here, but I really don't get the appeal of a Cracker Barrel and Bob Evans that specialize in "home cooked" style food. If I want that style, I'll just cook it myself. And while they do have decent breakfasts, I much prefer going onto help and finding an interesting local diner or something.

Right, so much of their menus consist of foods that older people give you for free such as macaroni salad and pot roast. I'm not paying for pot roast; pot roast is free!

1995hoo

I believe Cracker Barrel doesn't offer beer either. Big negative in my opinion. Sure, fast-food joints are generally soda-only, but at a sit-down place I find that off-putting.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GCrites

spooky

I'm one to almost always enjoy a beer or two with a dinner out, but never really thought about the fact that Cracker Barrel doesn't serve it. Must be because I typically order breakfast there regardless of the time of day.

rawmustard

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 31, 2015, 11:28:49 AM
I believe Cracker Barrel doesn't offer beer either. Big negative in my opinion. Sure, fast-food joints are generally soda-only, but at a sit-down place I find that off-putting.

They're more family-oriented. A lot of sit-down breakfast places tend not to hold a liquor license. Granted, it seems like some bar chains have become family-oriented, even though I like to think of bars as places to get away from children.

JMoses24

I first found In & Out and Jack in the Box in southern California in 2010.

Tim Hortons was a first for me on my 2014 New England road trip.

Billy F 1988

Some recently newer and upcoming food (and beverage) chains in Missoula that I can remember:

DQ Chill and Grill
IHOP
Big Sky Hooters
A new MacKenzie River Pizza shop on South Reserve across from the new Missoula Fresh Market (formerly Safeway).
A new Domino's Pizza coming soon to sit on the site of the old Ole's Country Store gas station
A new Starbucks location on Brooks Street replacing the old Smokers Friendly/Cenex gas station

Who knows. Maybe some new food chain may take the place of the now closed Brooks Street Staples location next to Hastings (both sitting on the site of the old Tidyman's supermarket). It wasn't too long ago that Buffalo Wild Wings opened a Missoula location along the North Reserve corridor.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.