News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How can people out there hate those they have never met?

Started by roadman65, July 18, 2015, 07:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I have never hated anyone in my life, especially my worst enemy.  The pains I feel each day, I would not even wish on my worst enemy!  Plus I do not declare enemies either!  Some may say I hate Bugo, Steve Alps, and none other than NE 2, but in fact I do not!  I may think they have far out ideals and may not like their beliefs and disagree with them, but that does not mean hate.

One of the many users on here thinks that because I happen to use my First Amendment Right and attend church once a week makes me out to support violence including ISIS!  I do not even want to go into that one here, but on facebook I got called all kinds of names because I defended my own church when someone said that it hates certain individuals which it does not.  In fact my church, and most of the common practiced faiths in the US do not hate and practice love and hope for peace!

To me this is prejudice, when you hate someone who you have not met in person and only know about one's viewpoint who you disagree with because of different ideals!  Bugo, I mention you, because you are so filled with hatred as I put up with it on my facebook of all your remarks bashing all kinds of people you disagree with blaming them for stopping freedom when in fact this country has been most free its ever been.  As Jeff says in another thread we all complain about things that we do not have that we actually do have.  Many from other countries want to get into our culture so bad they will do just about anything to do it.  So we must be free!  Yes we do disagree, but that does not make the others who do not share our own ideas to be hateful!

I joined this forum to discuss with people of the same hobby as me that is roads.  However, all  I see on here is bashing over petty disagreements especially in fictional highways where it talks about ideal plans and not actual plans.  Sometimes to see what some people over can be from entertaining to unbelievable!  If I spell one word wrong or miss another thread inside the many other threads one particular user gets all bent out of shape completely and starts obsessing over it.  Then there is another who loves to make fun of my writing because he knows I do not like some of the posts his old college buddy is making and even told me to never talk to him outside this forum again!  Then I got told to give some slack to some who may have autism on here, but when I mention that I could possibly have it, that same someone says its not an excuse for me when I make a much smaller mistake then the others who have that disorder when they talk very irrationally.

Some of you out there deserve each other, and I could care less what others think.  Probably this post may get removed soon or even edited out, but I really do not care anymore.  I love roads and most of all I love sharing my thoughts about it and even my photos.  I think that this forum is the reason why many non road geeks dislike us or why cops pull over some of us here on the road, because all they have to do is look here on this forum at all the remarks passed among us over petty little stuff and the judgements made among each other over time and have more of a reason to think our hobby is a menace.

Enough rant!  BTW I hope that someday we as a planet can live in peace and be able to eat and share with each other including those across the ocean.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SignGeek101

Quote from: roadman65 on July 18, 2015, 07:10:01 PM
To me this is prejudice, when you hate someone who you have not met in person and only know about one's viewpoint who you disagree with because of different ideals!  Bugo, I mention you, because you are so filled with hatred as I put up with it on my facebook of all your remarks bashing all kinds of people you disagree with blaming them for stopping freedom when in fact this country has been most free its ever been.  As Jeff says in another thread we all complain about things that we do not have that we actually do have.  Many from other countries want to get into our culture so bad they will do just about anything to do it.  So we must be free!  Yes we do disagree, but that does not make the others who do not share our own ideas to be hateful!

I joined this forum to discuss with people of the same hobby as me that is roads.  However, all  I see on here is bashing over petty disagreements especially in fictional highways where it talks about ideal plans and not actual plans.  Sometimes to see what some people over can be from entertaining to unbelievable!  If I spell one word wrong or miss another thread inside the many other threads one particular user gets all bent out of shape completely and starts obsessing over it.  Then there is another who loves to make fun of my writing because he knows I do not like some of the posts his old college buddy is making and even told me to never talk to him outside this forum again!  Then I got told to give some slack to some who may have autism on here, but when I mention that I could possibly have it, that same someone says its not an excuse for me when I make a much smaller mistake then the others who have that disorder when they talk very irrationally.

Only one person (on here) has openly insulted / mocked me (as well as at least two others). I'm not going to name him, but he had too big of an ego in my mind. That, in itself, causes people to hate that individual. If everyone respected each other's opinions and instead participated in a meaningful conversation, there wouldn't be any hate from a member towards another member(s) on here. I can't say I hate that individual, but I can say that I am disappointed that there would be a person who would act with such disrespect towards another member.

That's kind of the nice thing about the internet: you can like or dislike someone by their thoughts, and not their "human" features (race, colour, sexual orientation, age etc) or even other interests (political views, other hobbies etc). But one can hate that individual based on their "internet personality" and not who they are in real life (which may be very different), which is what you're mentioning.

Sometimes, people hate other people not because they had a bad meeting with that person, but because they've heard something about what the individual has done (to you or otherwise) that is damaging, either mentally or physically. Many people hated Hitler, but most never met him in person, as an example.

I don't know what else to say. Hate is a natural human emotion; that isn't going to change (at least naturally). Call me pessimistic, but I doubt there will ever be permanent world peace and everyone hand holding.

Zeffy

People can hate on the Internet because the Internet provides a mask over your persona while on it. In my work training class, I have made friends with everybody in it - they all like me, appreciate me, and to a point envy me (because I'm in an other department that doesn't deal with customers 24/7), and they are all of different races, ideals, ages, whatever it may be. Very few people who meet me in real life find a reason to dislike me, despite my high levels of social awkwardness.

On the Internet, however, that changes. I'd like to think I'm not much different on the Internet compared to real life, but I don't think I can say that. When you have the ability to say what you want, even if it's completely inappropriate, you tend to take advantage of it. I cannot think of many times when I acted differently on these forums compared to how I would in real life, but I know certain others who hate me have never given my real life persona a chance. Well, to be fair, none of you have met me because that's just how it played out in my life, so they couldn't judge me based on that.

Hate is a basic human principle. You can't like everything. Sometimes it includes people. There will never be a perfect world where everybody will agree on eachothers' opinions.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jwolfer

I have read that 80% of communication is based on non verbal queues like body language, tone, inflection. Text, forum posts etc can so easily be taken the wrong way. Sarcasm is very hard to discern on posts, but it is so obvious when the speaker is heard.

realjd

Fake internet drama is bullshit. Let the children be children and ignore it.

bugo

Everybody in the community that I've met offline has liked me. That should tell you something.

hbelkins

I wish I could truly say that I don't hate anyone, but that would be a lie. There are two people on this earth whom I absolutely detest. Both have done things that have negatively affected me personally. I've met neither of them but I've been in the same room with one of them three or four times in my life. Both are Kentucky politicians and I honestly wouldn't shed a tear if both of them died horrific deaths. That is very un-Christian of me, and I know that. I've experienced a revival of my Christian faith in the last several months in response to some very tough times over the past couple of years, and one of the things I've done is to try to seek out some of the people I've wronged over the years (or I feel like I've wronged) and make amends to them. I've also tried to forgive people who have done me wrong over the years. I've let a number of grudges go, including a couple that I'd held for nearly 40 years. But these two politicians are truly scum of the earth for vastly different reasons, and I can't bring myself to have any use for them whatsoever.

I may dislike some people, and the more accurate description of my feelings is that I dislike the way they act or some of the things they believe in, but I only truly hate these two people.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: jwolfer on July 18, 2015, 10:47:15 PM
I have read that 80% of communication is based on non verbal queues like body language, tone, inflection. Text, forum posts etc can so easily be taken the wrong way. Sarcasm is very hard to discern on posts, but it is so obvious when the speaker is heard.

Tell me about it.  I can be highly snarky, but it never comes through properly in a text only medium like this.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

I don't think being purportedly hated by NE2 is going to cause me to lose any sleep.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Zeffy

Quote from: NE2 on July 19, 2015, 04:39:05 AM
If you don't hate Ronald Reagan, I hate you.

I don't follow politics, so anything a past president did from beyond George W. Bush is foreign to me. So it's not that I don't hate him, it's more over that I don't know anything about him (besides he was a 'mezzanine' as you like to put it) that would make me hate him.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on July 19, 2015, 12:23:32 AM
I wish I could truly say that I don't hate anyone, but that would be a lie. There are two people on this earth whom I absolutely detest. Both have done things that have negatively affected me personally. I've met neither of them but I've been in the same room with one of them three or four times in my life. Both are Kentucky politicians and I honestly wouldn't shed a tear if both of them died horrific deaths.

Who?

If they are Kentucky politicians, odds are that I know who they are.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Roadrunner75

Was the movie Bedtime for Bonzo really THAT bad?

Pete from Boston

If you hate trolls or people who block the left lane, what word do you have left for the rapists?

I grew up with people very dear to me who had suffered some of the most inhuman treatment possible, and their reaction was not what I would call hate.  At a certain point it must become evident that more hatred ensures only more hatred back.  It helps nobody.

Better to pity one's adversaries than hate them.  The toughest people are not the ones who come out swinging but the ones with the thickest skins.  It's much easier to hit back than not.

And besides, why do people get emotional about the internet?  Real life is challenging enough without letting words on a screen get under your skin. 

DaBigE

I was thinking about this topic while I was at the mall earlier today, and this is the conclusion I came up with:

I don't hate people, rather I hate their actions (or lack thereof).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Brandon

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 19, 2015, 11:02:08 AM
Was the movie Bedtime for Bonzo really THAT bad?

I think NE2 played Bonzo.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

nexus73

Destroy all biological infestations.  I am NOMAD.

(What, me hate?  LOL!)

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

tribar

This is an idiotic question.  You've never met Hitler. Does that mean you can't hate him, even with what he did?

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

I may dislike some people, and the more accurate description of my feelings is that I dislike the way they act or some of the things they believe in, but I only truly hate these two people.

Why not just give them the Tsar's blessing? ;)

(is there a blessing for the Tsar?)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jeffandnicole

Quote from: realjd on July 18, 2015, 11:37:17 PM
Fake internet drama is bullshit. Let the children be children and ignore it.

Bingo.  This.

People get so caught up in what others care about, even though it doesn't affect them one bit.  The best are those that want to sign those e-petitions, as if any of them are going to do anything.

Quote from: Molandfreak on July 19, 2015, 04:14:13 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 18, 2015, 07:10:01 PM
As Jeff says in another thread we all complain about things that we do not have that we actually do have.
That was literally a post defending police harassment. :eyebrow:

Actually, I never defended police harassment.  But I do think realistically.

Brandon

Quote from: US71 on July 19, 2015, 08:25:54 PM

Why not just give them the Tsar's blessing? ;)

(is there a blessing for the Tsar?)

A blessing for the Tsar? Of course! May God bless and keep the Tsar... far away from us!

bugo

I don't hate anybody who posts to this forum. None of you are worthy of my hate.

Zeffy

Quote from: bugo on July 19, 2015, 09:49:45 PM
I don't hate anybody who posts to this forum. None of you are worthy of my hate.

I'm highly skeptical of that.

bugo

That's because you don't know me and you've badly misjudged me. You would hate to see my wrath against somebody I really disliked.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.