News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Waffle House

Started by cpzilliacus, October 02, 2012, 09:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

I've had good experiences with as little as $23 a night as recently as November, 2011.  (Gallup, NM, for those wondering.)  they weren't heavy on the amenities, but the bed was horizontal and the shower was hot.

I, too, would like to know what the "32 hours of Delaware" is.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: Ace10 on October 06, 2012, 10:16:32 PM
My absolute worst time at a WH (and best story to tell, consequently) was actually a pretty good experience at the restaurant itself. The service was pretty usual, and my total was a little over $5.00. I left a tip of $1.00 and used my card to pay - which I learned you are never supposed to do - because the next day I checked my account activity and noticed I was over $900 overdrawn.

I figured out what happened. The cashier forgot to press a very important button between entering my tip, and then the total, so I got charged around $1006.00.

From then on, anytime I visit a WH, I always make sure to bring cash with me.

and that's why I use a credit card as often as I can.  it gives one layer of protection between the time of the transaction, and the time my money actually leaves my bank account to pay for it.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Road Hog

As far as two Waffle Houses at the same exit, I believe it's for the convenience of travelers who don't have to cross over to get to one. I saw my first one sometime in the late 1980s. Waffle Houses are not very big, so I'm sure these multiple locations are plenty profitable.

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 13, 2012, 12:07:34 PM
I've had good experiences with as little as $23 a night as recently as November, 2011.  (Gallup, NM, for those wondering.)  they weren't heavy on the amenities, but the bed was horizontal and the shower was hot.

I, too, would like to know what the "32 hours of Delaware" is.
I was going to say Albuquerque for a price that cheap, but sure, Gallup.
"32 hours of Delaware" is when I entered Delaware at 7:30 AM and, except to eat or get gas, did not leave my car until 3:30 PM the next day. I clinched the entire state highway system, and I only had 13 and the 95s done before that point.

Buffaboy

Is it true Waffle House operated in Central NY? I just saw that somewhere and I have no clue.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

roadman

Quote from: Road Hog on December 13, 2012, 09:23:22 PM
As far as two Waffle Houses at the same exit, I believe it's for the convenience of travelers who don't have to cross over to get to one. I saw my first one sometime in the late 1980s. Waffle Houses are not very big, so I'm sure these multiple locations are plenty profitable.

A number of freeway multi-exit interchanges in Massachusetts have either McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts accessible from either ramp.  What has always bothered me is when both restaurants are posted on the same freeway LOGO signs for an interchange - it gives the through driver, whom services signs are intended for, an unnecessary decision to make.  It also often denies another otherwise eligible facility in one direction an opportunity to get on the sign.  And, frankly, IMO it looks stupid to have identical LOGOS for different directions of travel on the same sign or sign assembly.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

briantroutman

Quote from: Buffaboy on July 01, 2015, 05:50:37 PM
Is it true Waffle House operated in Central NY? I just saw that somewhere and I have no clue.

According to Waffle House's own website, the closest location is still Clarks Summit, PA.

spooky

Quote from: roadman on July 01, 2015, 06:13:33 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on December 13, 2012, 09:23:22 PM

A number of freeway multi-exit interchanges in Massachusetts have either McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts accessible from either ramp.  What has always bothered me is when both restaurants are posted on the same freeway LOGO signs for an interchange - it gives the through driver, whom services signs are intended for, an unnecessary decision to make.  It also often denies another otherwise eligible facility in one direction an opportunity to get on the sign.  And, frankly, IMO it looks stupid to have identical LOGOS for different directions of travel on the same sign or sign assembly.

I know there is one (Exit 12 on MA 3, perhaps?) where there are two Dunkin' Donuts on the logo sign. For the unfamiliar, this is not a multi-exit interchange - there is a single off-ramp for both directions of Route 139, which exit 12 serves.

Confirmed, via GMSV: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.113867,-70.775382,3a,75y,131.3h,76.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ss1exoxgCqs2Lg-dk_S26Vw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Pete from Boston

I've always viewed that Clarks Summit Waffle House as sort of their Gettysburg: the one anomalous Southern offensive (appropriate word) that made it that far north.

roadman

Quote from: spooky on July 02, 2015, 07:21:39 AM
I know there is one (Exit 12 on MA 3, perhaps?) where there are two Dunkin' Donuts on the logo sign. For the unfamiliar, this is not a multi-exit interchange - there is a single off-ramp for both directions of Route 139, which exit 12 serves.

Confirmed, via GMSV: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.113867,-70.775382,3a,75y,131.3h,76.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ss1exoxgCqs2Lg-dk_S26Vw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That's a new one on me - thanks for sharing.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

spooky

Quote from: roadman on July 02, 2015, 01:43:49 PM

It gets better! The two Dunkin Donuts logo panels become zero when you get to the ramp logo sign.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.106515,-70.767571,3a,75y,319.17h,81.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfcuWjeoBrRlrNp2zN0V-3A!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

Pete from Boston

Aren't there several Dunkin' Donuts nearby in either direction off most exit ramps in the state?  There should be signs instead where this is not the case.

route17fan

When I lived in the Atlanta metro, it was mostly Waffle Houses.  :) Ironically, Columbus Ohio has several and I had never been to any of them when I grew up here - so it took my family moving south for me to try them and after a hard day at work, sometimes it really hit the spot! It was cheap and I cant tell you how many nights were spent just socializing with friends at an "awful waffle" (nickname in warm jest despite how it sounds and reads) it is/was really enjoyable.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

SSOWorld

I've only been to one Waffle house - on the Lincoln Highway in Chambersburg, PA just off I-81 on my way to NYC. This was a side goal but obvously a common one amongst us.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

CtrlAltDel

I go to Waffle House once whenever I'm on a trip to the South. I have a lot of fond memories of stopping there on various trips to Florida in college. (We called it Vahf-luh Hoo-suh for some reason, as if it were German. This is most likely related to the generally high level of alcohol intoxication we were under while we ate there.)

The most recent one was in Amite City LA. Later on that trip though, I stayed in Richmond Hill GA (near Savannah), which is one of those places that has a Waffle House on each side of the highway. I did think that interesting at the time, but I pretty much forgot about till this thread.

As far as cuisine goes though, I've always considered waffles a step above pancakes. For example, there's a Sunday brunch place by my house that has a waffle station, but no pancake station. (Then there's the fact that you can get waffles in France, but not pancakes . . . .) I was a bit surprised to see that hierarchy inverted in this thread.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 02, 2015, 08:54:52 PM
As far as cuisine goes though, I've always considered waffles a step above pancakes. For example, there's a Sunday brunch place by my house that has a waffle station, but no pancake station. (Then there's the fact that you can get waffles in France, but not pancakes . . . .) I was a bit surprised to see that hierarchy inverted in this thread.

I agree.  I prefer a protein-centered breakfast, but for me, the hierarchy of doughy breakfast substrates is:

1.  French Toast.  So much good opportunity to do interesting things with bread choice and doctoring up the batter.  Then the toppings, of course, are mostly shared with:

2. Waffles.  Much less interesting, but just delicious freshly made.  Frozen, however, tend to taste stale to me even when new.

3. Pancakes.  Eh, I'm not moved, not even with strawberries or whatever in them.  Usually takes too damn much syrup and butter to not be dry. 

freebrickproductions

Here in Huntsville, we have about 8 Waffle Houses. One of them (the one I go to the most often) is within walking distance from my house and the most recent one to open here is located on Pratt Avenue. The best part about that one is, is that they went ahead with opening it on February 21st of this year, when we were being hit by a severe ice storm.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

skaguy

In Murfreesboro, TN, there are 2 exits with 2 Waffle Houses at each one.  While it may seem a little overboard, the demand is there for both of them IMO.  The last time I went to the one on the west side of Old Fort Parkway, there was a wait. 

When traveling, I prefer going to Waffle House.  They have good food that's quick and cheap.  The best one I have ever been to is the one in Harrisonburg, VA on I-81.  We've been in and out in less than 30 minutes on several occasions and for ~$15.   

noelbotevera

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 02, 2015, 08:10:46 PM
I've only been to one Waffle house - on the Lincoln Highway in Chambersburg, PA just off I-81 on my way to NYC. This was a side goal but obvously a common one amongst us.
Ah yes, I've been to that one before too! It was a pretty good Waffle House than what I expected.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

roadman

Quote from: spooky on July 02, 2015, 02:05:37 PM
Quote from: roadman on July 02, 2015, 01:43:49 PM

It gets better! The two Dunkin Donuts logo panels become zero when you get to the ramp logo sign.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.106515,-70.767571,3a,75y,319.17h,81.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfcuWjeoBrRlrNp2zN0V-3A!2e0!7i3328!8i1664
That's only because the Google StreetView image of the ramp (old sign) was taken before the mainline image (new sign) was.

Rothman

Just went to one south of Winchester, VA the other day (Stephens City).  Good service.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mgk920

The WH site locator shows that the closest one to NE Wisconsin is still the one at I-475/US 20 in Toledo, OH.  There are also outlets in Indianapolis and Illinois-suburban Saint Louis.

Is their northernmost location still the one at I-90/OH 45 in Austinburg, OH (41.784 degrees N)?

:hmmm:

Mike

GCrites

Sting says that all the Ultimate Warrior talked about when they drove east from Texas back in their tag team days was hitting the closest Waffle House.

Rothman

We stop at pancakes house.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Rothman on July 07, 2015, 11:08:54 PM
We stop at pancakes house.

*knocks on door*
Er...sir? Those don't exist. Do you mean your home?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.