News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

US 41

This is just a general issue (annoyance) I have with Google Maps. Any street view in the United States 2009 or older is awful. It's always blurry. I have no clue why because in Mexico there are images taken from 2008 and they are perfectly clear.

Another thing that annoys me is that in Mexico they will take new images of a road they already had street view of and then they will not take pictures of a road that is brand new, but was open at the time they went through. A perfect example of this is the toll bypass on the northwest side of Saltillo. And Most of the Monterrey toll bypass has no street view on it either. Also there is new streetview on the 40 libre between Durango and El Salto from November 2014, but they neglected to take streetview of the new autopista between El Salto and Mazatlan. Why would you neglect to take street view of maybe the neatest road in the continent?

Also they are sometimes slow to show updates. A new toll bypass around Torreon and Gomez Palacio opened several months ago and it is still not shown. 

With all these annoyances I still love google maps and their streetview, but sometimes I wish they would be faster to update and show new roads on streetview.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

kphoger

I always switch back to the "old" Google Maps when using a PC.  I have no issues with it, but don't like using the "new" Google Maps because GSV is less intuitive for me and it's harder to jump multiple zoom levels.  However, Google Maps does tend to crash fairly often on my Android phone.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

I-39

Whenever I use it, it runs slow, sometimes it doesn't go on street view when I drag the guy on the blue line the first time, and then I may have to refresh the page if it is not working right. It is really annoying.

NE2

Quote from: US 41 on February 07, 2015, 01:34:34 PM
Another thing that annoys me is that in Mexico they will take new images of a road they already had street view of and then they will not take pictures of a road that is brand new, but was open at the time they went through.
They probably autogenerated directions for the guy to drive to cover whatever was on their maps, and they hadn't yet added the new bypass. The same thing happened with the US 167 bypass of Sheridan, AR.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dfwmapper

Also they are sometimes slow to show updates. A new toll bypass around Torreon and Gomez Palacio opened several months ago and it is still not shown. 
If you're not interested in mapping it yourself, at least use the Report Problem link at the bottom to tell them the new road is open. They can use GPS data they have collected to at least do a halfassed job of putting it on the map.

DaBigE

Quote from: dfwmapper on February 10, 2015, 11:07:58 PM
If you're not interested in mapping it yourself, at least use the Report Problem link at the bottom to tell them the new road is open. They can use GPS data they have collected to at least do a halfassed job of putting it on the map.

Consider yourself lucky if they even do a half-assed job if you use the Report Problem. My experience: I used that link to report an interchange that was reconfigured, since I couldn't get the map maker editor to show the changes correctly. So I used the Report Problem link and simply directed them to their latest satellite photo that showed the new ramp configuration. Weeks later, I got an email stating that they couldn't understand the problem. I swear a room full of monkeys could have figured it out. :banghead:  Overlay old map on new photo. Trace photo. Done.

Between things like that and allowing people approving/denying map edits that have no clue about the area, I've given up trying to improve Google Maps.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

US 41

Quote from: dfwmapper on February 10, 2015, 11:07:58 PM

I actually did that (reported the problem) a month ago and finally yesterday, they added the new bypass around Torreon. Maybe it was me telling them or maybe they finally just figured it out.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zeffy

Quote from: NE2 on February 13, 2015, 06:10:54 PM
Motherfucker: "this version of Google Maps is updating soon"
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/nNQTsfCcgbk

I switched to the new Google Maps in Chrome after my Firefox experienced some weird glitches. It runs very smooth now, with the exception of Street View. Still, I'd rather not see classic go away just yet.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

New is still clunky for me in Firefox. No, I'm not switching to Chrome.

NE2

Quote from: NE2 on February 13, 2015, 06:10:54 PM
Motherfucker: "this version of Google Maps is updating soon"
I saw this again and managed to click the link before it disappeared. It leads here:
http://support.google.com/maps/?p=mfe_deprecation&hl=en#topic=3092425
The text here implies classic will still exist, but that could just be sloppiness in failing to update.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DeaconG

Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2015, 03:37:26 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.099022,-75.786863,3a,75y,136.79h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1syr1oJYzUfUSB988vPYB0UQ!2e0

What is this supposed to be?  Most of all why is google allowing it to be shown in street view?

All right, which one of you jokers divided by zero?
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Bickendan

Quote from: DeaconG on April 19, 2015, 04:34:53 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2015, 03:37:26 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.099022,-75.786863,3a,75y,136.79h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1syr1oJYzUfUSB988vPYB0UQ!2e0

What is this supposed to be?  Most of all why is google allowing it to be shown in street view?

All right, which one of you jokers divided by zero?

Wasn't me. I merely took the square root of -1.

Fixed quote. - rmf67

MillTheRoadgeek

For some reason, Google is now not showing Street View/Photo Sphere/Look Inside dates outside the archive. I hope this is just a bug/they'll bring it back in a jiffy.

tribar

Google Earth will solve all your problems. 

Mileage Mike

Using a Mac.  For me it lags and freezes up often in Safari. It runs relatively smooth in Chrome but Chrome itself is an unoptimized resource hog on OS X.  Damned if I do damned if I don't.

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on February 13, 2015, 06:51:31 PM
New is still clunky for me in Firefox. No, I'm not switching to Chrome.

Don't fret.  It's clunky in Chrome too.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman65

Quote from: tribar on April 19, 2015, 09:15:23 PM
Google Earth will solve all your problems. 
That is all we have right now.  If you virtually follow all of I-86 E Bound( Including the US 11 connection to I-86) from I-81 you get this. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

Still no problems in Canada's version on Chrome for me...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

How do you drag a route to add a via point in lite mode?
[edit] what the fuck, that's turned off: http://support.google.com/maps/answer/6070247

bugo

Google is going to lose a lot of users over this fiasco. The new product is half baked at best and unusable at worst. Tech companies like to change things willy nilly even when the old version is perfectly good. Facebook does this all the time, and one day they're going to make a change that really pisses off a large segment of the users and they will leave Fashboot and go to another social media website in droves. That will be the beginning of the end of Facebook. Remember how big Myspace was at one time and how irrelevant it is now? That will be Facebook in x years. Also, Yahoo ruined Flickr when they went to the new layout and removed the paid subscription option. Why can't they leave well enough alone?

Bickendan

Because if they don't make changes people will leave!!!1!one

vdeane

Interestingly, I have been able to add via points in lite mode... I wonder if that's why it can be unreliable at times.

I don't think Google will lose too many users for this, despite the outrage from the roadgeek community, most users are probably OK with the changes, since they never used the old interface as extensively as we have, and because the new interface works like a smartphone app.  Plus there's nowhere to go.  Bing is a joke and MapQuest and Yahoo remind people of the 90s.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

tribar

Quote from: bugo on April 22, 2015, 04:31:03 PM
Google is going to lose a lot of users over this fiasco. The new product is half baked at best and unusable at worst. Tech companies like to change things willy nilly even when the old version is perfectly good. Facebook does this all the time, and one day they're going to make a change that really pisses off a large segment of the users and they will leave Fashboot and go to another social media website in droves. That will be the beginning of the end of Facebook. Remember how big Myspace was at one time and how irrelevant it is now? That will be Facebook in x years. Also, Yahoo ruined Flickr when they went to the new layout and removed the paid subscription option. Why can't they leave well enough alone?

I agree.  If it isn't broke, don't fix it. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.