News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Is the Orange/White construction pylon coming to Ontairo?

Started by MisterSG1, September 06, 2015, 09:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterSG1

As we all know in Ontario, those big construction pylons are Orange and Black. While I cannot remember for sure, something tells me I've seen these same pylons in Newfoundland, but I know all the other provinces east of here use Orange/White pylons. Every US state I've been to is the same story as well.

The reason why I ask, I've seen a lot of "rogue" orange/white construction pylons lately in non construction zones on 400-series highways. There is one on the WB 403 near Dundas. I also recall seeing one somewhere on SB 427 between Burnhamthorpe and Dundas. I think today I saw another one around the 403/Ford Dr exit on the QEW. Is this a test to see how drivers see them? It's just something I've been wondering, I could see one or two of these being around as "whatever", but there are several in random spots. What's going on?

It kind of reminds me of the situation on Matheson Blvd in Mississauga, the MUTCD "Center Lane Turns Only" sign. Here it is here in it's glory and it's still there. If I recall there is more than one here unusually.

https://goo.gl/maps/KMFM6

SignGeek101

Quote from: MisterSG1 on September 06, 2015, 09:34:48 PM
As we all know in Ontario, those big construction pylons are Orange and Black. While I cannot remember for sure, something tells me I've seen these same pylons in Newfoundland, but I know all the other provinces east of here use Orange/White pylons. Every US state I've been to is the same story as well.

Pylons in Manitoba, and I'm pretty sure most of the western provinces are also orange and white. It appears Ontario is, once again, unique in that regard. I can't comment on anything east of Quebec though.

The reason why I ask, I've seen a lot of "rogue" orange/white construction pylons lately in non construction zones on 400-series highways. There is one on the WB 403 near Dundas. I also recall seeing one somewhere on SB 427 between Burnhamthorpe and Dundas. I think today I saw another one around the 403/Ford Dr exit on the QEW. Is this a test to see how drivers see them? It's just something I've been wondering, I could see one or two of these being around as "whatever", but there are several in random spots. What's going on?

I'd be surprised if Ontario switched, there is no reason to. Orange and white versus orange and black doesn't seem to matter to me. Maybe it's a visibility issue, but I don't see the point, unless they're being phased out with newer designs or something.

Any MUTCD signage is nice to see, even though sometimes I prefer the Canadian version.

EDIT: As of the Ontario Traffic Manual: Temporary Conditions, written in Jan 2014, it states that the TC 52 Flexible Drum (Barrel) should be as follows:

QuoteThe markings of the flexible drums must be horizontal and circumferential, with alternating black and reflectorized orange stripes (four orange bands of High Intensity Type III or higher reflectivity that are approximately 100 mm each).

cbeach40

Just guessing, but a good possibility is that it's part of the iCone monitoring system. Given that it's a US-based company, their equipment is usually encased in the style of barrel that you'd usually see there.
and waterrrrrrr!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.