News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Harbor Tunnel Thruway's seqyential exit numbers

Started by roadman65, May 28, 2011, 09:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was wondering back in the days the Harbor Tunnel Thruway's former sequential exit number days, it had a strange numbering scheme that was totally out of sequence.  Instead of starting with the lowest number to the south like the traditional ways are, where it should be one to the south on North- South roadways and to the west on East- West, it started with the highest being Exit 18 for its southern terminus with I-95.

The numbers got lower to the north going from 18 to 11 on the exits south of the tunnel and then starting with 1 north of the Tunnel and only climbing to 5 for the US 40 exit.  Not only do the numbers have two sets of numbers, but 6 to 10 are missing. 

Being that there are no northbound exits south of the Tunnel and tollbooths all those who were heading north did encounter Exit 1 to be their first exit number, but southbound it goes all wrong starting in the two digits with Exit 11 for Frankforst Avenue.   So there really was no merit for this scheme when it was in place, does anyone know what was up for not going from Exit 1 from the south to the high numbers north of the tunnel?

Also, where was the missing Exit 1 on the original JFK Highway's numbering scheme when the I-695 was Exit 2 with its numbers getting higher to where 9 was for MD 279 at Elkton? The Toll Road began at MD 43 that was Exit 3 before it was changed to milepost based along with the whole state in the mid 80s.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

My guess would be that it had something to do with the interchange designs. Since there are no exits until you reach the tunnel and its toll plaza, placing Exit 1 northbound after the tunnel was a good idea to them, even though it was a good 9 or 10 miles away from the southern terminus. As for those south of the tunnel, I am completely clueless.

Also, Exit 1 on the JFK Highway was most likely the northern I-95/I-895 split, which is now Exit 62. As that part of I-95 wasn't completed until 1973, I have reason to believe the exit number was reserved for the split.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

deathtopumpkins

I think they probably just numbered all the northbound exits starting at 1 and the southbound exits starting at 1 with another 1 stuck in front of it. Makes sense to me, even if it is a stupid idea.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

NE2

The 1970 MDSHA map shows exit 1 at Moravia Road: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Maryland_State_Highway_Map_-_1970.pdf
Also note that the south half of I-895 goes from 1 to 7; by 1980 they had added 10 to each number.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Henry

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 31, 2011, 05:56:03 PM
I think they probably just numbered all the northbound exits starting at 1 and the southbound exits starting at 1 with another 1 stuck in front of it. Makes sense to me, even if it is a stupid idea.

Yeah, that's probably what I figured they'd do: Have the first exit south of the tunnel labeled Exit 1, and then add an extra 1 to it, and every other exit after that.

Quote from: NE2 on May 31, 2011, 06:08:11 PM
The 1970 MDSHA map shows exit 1 at Moravia Road: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Maryland_State_Highway_Map_-_1970.pdf
Also note that the south half of I-895 goes from 1 to 7; by 1980 they had added 10 to each number.

Three years before I-95 came through that area. I've been told that part of US 40 east of downtown is included in the complete JFK Highway corridor; in fact, a sign along Orleans Street shows the JFK trailblazer. Anyone happen to have pics of said sign?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

Quote from: Henry on May 31, 2011, 09:43:28 PM
I've been told that part of US 40 east of downtown is included in the complete JFK Highway corridor; in fact, a sign along Orleans Street shows the JFK trailblazer. Anyone happen to have pics of said sign?
Why would a trailblazer mean that the road it's on is part of the highway?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

MDRoads

There have been different numbering schemes for the HTT, I think the numbers on the south approach were increased by 10 to prevent confusion in emergency calls (but you could do that by using the conventional system).  I can see where each begins with 1 out from the tunnel, given the way the exits were configured to only be past the toll (Childs St is after the toll but before the tunnel).  The JFK Exit 1 at Moravia wasn't in conflict with the northbound HTT Exit 1 since there was no exit onto Moravia from the south.

I've been told that part of US 40 east of downtown is included in the complete JFK Highway corridor; in fact, a sign along Orleans Street shows the JFK trailblazer. Anyone happen to have pics of said sign?
There's a JFK trailblazer on Erdman Avenue near US 1, and a few on the southwest side of US 1 (Wilkens).  Doesn't really mean anything that it's part of a corridor, just the best way toward it.

Henry

Quote from: MDRoads on June 02, 2011, 08:23:56 PM
There have been different numbering schemes for the HTT, I think the numbers on the south approach were increased by 10 to prevent confusion in emergency calls (but you could do that by using the conventional system).  I can see where each begins with 1 out from the tunnel, given the way the exits were configured to only be past the toll (Childs St is after the toll but before the tunnel).  The JFK Exit 1 at Moravia wasn't in conflict with the northbound HTT Exit 1 since there was no exit onto Moravia from the south.

There's a JFK trailblazer on Erdman Avenue near US 1, and a few on the southwest side of US 1 (Wilkens).  Doesn't really mean anything that it's part of a corridor, just the best way toward it.
I see now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.