News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Webbers Falls Bridge

Started by austrini, May 23, 2009, 09:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austrini

About a month ago I drove from Dallas to Fayetteville, Ark. and ended up going over the Webbers Falls Bridge on I-40. I went that way on purpose because I had wanted to see it, and I noticed that it looks ... well... crappy. There is some concrete that has shifted and been patched and a few asphalt patches and fixes as well. I wonder if that is the old part of the bridge only, though. I had been expecting something really strong and new looking like the photos of the new I-35W bridge in Minnesota.

Did they completely rebuild the bridge after it got knocked down? Did they just rebuild a portion of it?
I also thought there would be some kind of sign noting that it was *that* bridge but I didnt notice anything. I'm just curious about its status, if anyone knows.
Photo of it below, taken in late April.

AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

Scott5114

Quote from: austrini on May 23, 2009, 09:53:16 AM
I went that way on purpose because I had wanted to see it, and I noticed that it looks ... well... crappy.

Welcome to Oklahoma!  :)

Did they completely rebuild the bridge after it got knocked down? Did they just rebuild a portion of it?

I believe that they merely rebuilt the portion that got knocked into the river. The rest of the structure was sound. The big priority here was to get I-40 open again as soon as possible, as the detour onto OK-100 and US-64 was severely impacting businesses in the towns of Gore and Webbers Falls–the roads were so busy with I-40 traffic nobody wanted to get out and shop there.

FHWA was actually impressed with ODOT for how quickly they rebuilt the bridge and got the Interstate open again, and either the Administrator or the USDOT Secretary said as much in a press conference.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Greybear

I may be wrong here, but I believe that the entire bridge was re-built.

Scott5114

I wouldn't see why they would do that–the only reason the bridge collapsed was because of the barge hitting one of the center supports. One would think that the only portion that would need to be rebuilt is that center support and the spans that fell into the river.

austrini

I've always harbored a bit of wariness about Oklahoma's roads because as a kid the pavement went from awesome to chunky whenever you went over the Red River. I think it just happened to be where I crossed usually though, at US 69/75.

I think I had just imagined it would be a fancy new bridge like in Minnesota, but I suppose the circumstances were different. Right before I went over it I was on the ramp from US 69 NB to I-40 EB and I thought I had a flat tire because of the noise and motion the pavement was giving my car... my friend made us pull over to look. Then I said "ah, Oklahoma"

I'm not totally dissing OK Roads, there is some awesome stuff there. I was just a bit curious about the history of that bridge! I hope they put up a sign or something one day.
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

Scott5114

Quote from: austrini on May 23, 2009, 05:21:37 PM
Right before I went over it I was on the ramp from US 69 NB to I-40 EB and I thought I had a flat tire because of the noise and motion the pavement was giving my car... my friend made us pull over to look. Then I said "ah, Oklahoma"

That has totally happened to me once. I was taking a friend of mine to church camp one summer and she was quite concerned there was something wrong with the car as we were headed south on I-35. Instead of stopping I decided to cut over to US 177 and see if that fixed the problem. Yep.

Quote from: austrini on May 23, 2009, 05:21:37 PM
I'm not totally dissing OK Roads...

I am!

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 23, 2009, 12:53:28 PM

I believe that they merely rebuilt the portion that got knocked into the river. The rest of the structure was sound. The big priority here was to get I-40 open again as soon as possible, as the detour onto OK-100 and US-64 was severely impacting businesses in the towns of Gore and Webbers Falls–the roads were so busy with I-40 traffic nobody wanted to get out and shop there.

You are correct.  You can tell which spans were rebuilt if you look closely.  They are towards the western end of the bridge.

And yes, that bridge has a very uneven surface.

Hellfighter

Looks like what happens in Michigan!  :-P

TheHighwayMan3561

Was this the bridge that got partially knocked down by a barge?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Alex

Yes, the bridge was struck on May 26, 2002 by two barges. 14 died in the accident.

The bridge was reopened by July 29. Read more on the I-40 Interstate Guide.

US71

Quote from: bugo on May 24, 2009, 12:37:40 AM

You are correct.  You can tell which spans were rebuilt if you look closely.  They are towards the western end of the bridge.

Watch the rails closely, as well: one or two still have a bit of a bend in them from the accident.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.