News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-20 closed??

Started by cjk374, April 27, 2011, 11:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

When I was going to Ruston this afternoon, I saw a small orange sign near MP 83 that read:  "I-20 closed 88 miles ahead   TAKE ALTERNATIVE ROUTE". :wow:  That puts the closure around Tallulah.  We had some very strong storms last night.  I was wondering if I-20 was closed due to storm damage or flooding from a fast-rising Mississippi River.  Anyone heard anything?    :hmmm:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

One of the most massive tornado outbreaks ever is underway . It should say go to I 10 because many many roads are closed including Interstates blocked by debris power lines and so on. All of north AL is w/o power

SSF

Starting around the Black Warrior River west of Tuscaloosa is an amazing display of what happened last night.  The trees in the median of 20/59 were just demolished and I believe a WB lane was closed for tree removal.  I would estimate nearly 75% of the trees had their tops sheared off by the storms.  Just an awe-inspiring site for anyone who thinks we can control the Earth.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on April 27, 2011, 11:39:10 PM
When I was going to Ruston this afternoon, I saw a small orange sign near MP 83 that read:  "I-20 closed 88 miles ahead   TAKE ALTERNATIVE ROUTE". :wow:  That puts the closure around Tallulah.  We had some very strong storms last night.  I was wondering if I-20 was closed due to storm damage or flooding from a fast-rising Mississippi River.  Anyone heard anything?    :hmmm:

I can't find anything about bad weather around Tallulah.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

I believe I have answered my own question:

I made another trip to Slidell Friday.  The day before, I noticed the sign was gone, but it wasn't really "gone"....

When I went to Slidell, I took a closer look at these signs that read: "LOUISIANA buckle up...it's the law".  There are a few of these along I-20 only on the east bound side.  These signs are actually fold-up signs that give this message for detouring I-20 in case something goes wrong with the MS River bridge.  In fact, something did go wrong with the bridge a few years ago with the bridge.  I don't remember the name of this particular bridge piece, but it failed and I-20 was detoured (IIRC the story that I was told) to Natchez and Greenville.  The National Guard even had to airlift the piece to the bridge.  I guess these signs are for "just in case" that or anything else (barge running into a bridge pier, e.g.) happens again.

I guess the bad weather we had Tuesday night must've blown the sign open.  My bad.   :spin:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

SSF

The MS River bridge was also hit by a barge at Vicksburg, that ongoing work might have been the reason for the closure.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.