News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sam Cooper Boulevard Through Memphis

Started by Chrysler375Freeway, October 22, 2021, 02:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

Not that I would support it but I am surprised there hasn't been any group trying to convert this freeway to an urban boulevard with bike lanes and crap.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 17, 2022, 03:22:02 PM
Not that I would support it but I am surprised there hasn't been any group trying to convert this freeway to an urban boulevard with bike lanes and crap.

Heh, the last time I drove on The Coop, there as some dingbat riding a bike in the right lane going eastbound as the freeway starts.  There was construction at that location too, so it created quite the fustercluck.  Not to judge a book by it's cover, but there seemed to be something going on with that dude beyond some kind of arrogant cyclist thing.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 17, 2022, 03:57:22 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 17, 2022, 03:22:02 PM

Heh, the last time I drove on The Coop, there as some dingbat riding a bike in the right lane going eastbound as the freeway starts.  There was construction at that location too, so it created quite the fustercluck.  Not to judge a book by it's cover, but there seemed to be something going on with that dude beyond some kind of arrogant cyclist thing.
In heavy traffic in LA I have witnessed on two different occasions people riding E Scooters on the 110 and 101. Absolutely nuts. If traffic picks back up again that becomes life and death. Not denying that it wouldn't fun while traffic is at a standstill but you won't see me doing that.

civilengineeringnerd

Quote from: froggie on October 25, 2021, 11:12:39 PM
There's nothing really along Sam Cooper that would warrant a logical termini for an Interstate...no major traffic generators or major public/port/intermodel facilities and no cross-roads that are on the National Highway System.  At best, you could possibly convince TDOT to give it a TN x40 route number...340 is taken but 540 is available.
personally i see the sam cooper blvd and it leads right into the memphis zoo, which is technically a city park but if you think about it, its a tourist attraction as well. road around overton park could be turned into a giant 1 way oval that funnels traffic around the park, perhaps with a cute roundabout at the end of sam cooper.
at the same time, the rest could be a spur freeway, 2 laned each way, not very big, kinda similar to Ellington parkway in nashville. the only downside would be it could be a traffic generator as people would see it as a spur to I-40 east.
Every once in awhile declare peace! it confuses the hell outta your enemies!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.