News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

"Sarah" - RIP

Started by roadman, April 14, 2014, 07:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

As I've mentioned in some past posts, and as those you who attended the 2013 Portsmouth NH road meet are aware, since 2000 I have been driving a red 1999 Ford Contour sedan I eventually named "Sarah."

Unfortunately, in early January, Sarah turned her last wheel for me.  Was driving to my dialysis treatment when her rear wheel bearings seized.  As there was about an inch of snowpack on the road, I was unaware that there was something seriously wrong until I tried to go up a hill on my normal route, and immediately started spinning.  Fortunately, I was able to get back home without incident, and my neighbor was kind enough to drive me to the clinic that night.

The next day, I did a quick diagnosis.  Largely because of other pending work I'd managed to put off but would be facing later in the year, as well as the fact that I have currently have neither the proper tools nor facilities (i.e. enclosed garage) to do work like bearings, calipers, and rotors, I made what was for me a very difficult decision -  to purchase another car.

After six weeks of driving a rental car, I purchased a 2012 Ford Focus SE Sedan (in candy blue metallic) in early March.  Haven't named her yet, but then again - Sarah didn't get her name until twelve years after I bought her.  Now the fun begins as I figure out how to mount radio equipment (ham radio, scanner, and CB) in my new ride.

For now, Sarah still sits at the back of my driveway until I can finish removing my radio gear and cleaning her out.  After that, she'll be going off to a local charity.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

6a

That's the worst part about a new car - figuring out the nuances. I wanted to find a way to run my ham radio to the battery (2008 Jetta) and everything I found said to punch it through a hole where the clutch should be. Big problem, that, since I have a clutch. I found a way through the passenger door but holy crap. I still haven't mounted the faceplate but it fits in the little tray under the radio so whatever.

PHLBOS

Is your new Focus a more standard model (S or SE) or a higher-trimmed model (SEL or Titanium)?  One advantage (IMHO) w/the standard-trimmed models is that one is less likely to get one equipped w/Ford's now-infamous & trouble-prone MyTouch system w/all the glitches; such is standard equipment on the SEL/Titanium model.

Did you get the hatchback or sedan model?

Quote from: roadman on April 14, 2014, 07:28:03 PMNow the fun begins as I figure out how to mount radio equipment (ham radio, scanner, and CB) in my new ride.
Fun indeed.  Installing after-market equipment has on most newer cars appears to be more of a challenge than in the past.

That aside, enjoy your newer ride.  My '97 Crown Vic's still going at roughly 148k.  I just recently had the radiator & hoses replaced; all were original.

With regards to your Sarah; Sherman, set the WABAC Machine to 1986 for this one.  Okay, there's no h in that Sara but still.   :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 15, 2014, 10:32:32 AM
Is your new Focus a more standard model (S or SE) or a higher-trimmed model (SEL or Titanium)?  One advantage (IMHO) w/the standard-trimmed models is that one is less likely to get one equipped w/Ford's now-infamous & trouble-prone MyTouch system w/all the glitches; such is standard equipment on the SEL/Titanium model.

I got a SE model.  Has the SYNC system (which so far has proven to be quite reliable and useful), but not MyTouch.

QuoteDid you get the hatchback or sedan model?

I got a sedan, mainly because it will be easier to mount antennas on the trunk lid than it would with a hatchback tailgate.

That aside, enjoy your newer ride.

Thanks. 

QuoteWith regards to your Sarah; Sherman, set the WABAC Machine to 1986 for this one.  Okay, there's no h in that Sara but still.   :sombrero:

Well aware of that one - but thanks for sharing.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: 6a on April 14, 2014, 07:47:22 PM
That's the worst part about a new car - figuring out the nuances. I wanted to find a way to run my ham radio to the battery (2008 Jetta) and everything I found said to punch it through a hole where the clutch should be. Big problem, that, since I have a clutch. I found a way through the passenger door but holy crap. I still haven't mounted the faceplate but it fits in the little tray under the radio so whatever.
When I had my 1988 Honda Prelude, I removed the hinged cover from the cassette caddy under the radio and mounted the remote head of my 2m/70 cm rig there.  One of the easiest installations I ever did.

bugo

How many miles did your Contour have on it?  My '98 Cavalier is slated to pass the 200k milestone today.

roadman

Quote from: bugo on April 16, 2014, 08:00:44 AM
How many miles did your Contour have on it?  My '98 Cavalier is slated to pass the 200k milestone today.

Sarah had just about 88K on her at the time of the January incident.  As I stated, she's not unrepairable.  I just determined that doing the repairs (including other work beyond the damage to the rear axle components) didn't make economic sense for me.  Especially since I wasn't sure what other surprises might be in store for me, given the age of the car (15 years old).

Dr Frankenstein

Congrats on your purchace, roadman.

I also replaced my 10-year-old Pontiac Sunfire ("Blitz") three weeks ago after discovering coolant in the oil (head gasket leak, or worse), which was the last in a string of issues I've been having in the past year (ruptured clutch cylinder, many suspension issues, A/C issues, lost muffler bracket, and Lou Corsaro probably remembers us crawling from Valleyfield to my home in Beauharnois with a dead alternator, which took an hour and three jumpstarts/charges from strangers), so I no longer trusted it for long-distance trips.

I sold it to someone who can't afford a newer car and is an apprentice mechanic. 300,000 km / 175,000 mi, not bad for a GM product.

I'm now driving a Nissan Altima.

route56

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on April 22, 2014, 10:52:31 AM
300,000 km / 175,000 mi, not bad for a GM product.

175k for a GM product? That's just a warm-up

['98 Monte Carlo, currently at 204k... other than the fact it leaks oil, it's still in very good condition, and I intend to keep it that way.]
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

agentsteel53

Quote from: route56 on April 22, 2014, 11:57:16 AM
175k for a GM product? That's just a warm-up

depends on which car.  I still see early 90s Buick Centuries floating around regularly, and I bet some of those have turned 300,000 miles.  that said, some cars are just crap. 

Hondas and Toyotas of that era were more consistently reliable, but I wouldn't use that rule unthinkingly for model years more recent then approximately the early 2000s. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadman

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on April 22, 2014, 10:52:31 AM
Congrats on your purchace, roadman.

Thanks.  I've had the car just about two months now, and so far I'm very satisfied with it.  The improvement in gas mileage alone (22 city vs 15; 36 highway vs 28) is a huge win.

QuoteI also replaced my 10-year-old Pontiac Sunfire ("Blitz") three weeks ago after discovering coolant in the oil (head gasket leak, or worse), which was the last in a string of issues I've been having in the past year (ruptured clutch cylinder, many suspension issues, A/C issues, lost muffler bracket, and Lou Corsaro probably remembers us crawling from Valleyfield to my home in Beauharnois with a dead alternator, which took an hour and three jumpstarts/charges from strangers), so I no longer trusted it for long-distance trips.

Over the past three years, Sarah got (among other things) new front suspension, new A/C compressor, and new timing belt and pulleys.  Even if her current issues had not been so extensive (and expensive) to repair, I still would have been looking at new rocker panels, steering repairs, and replacing eventually at least the fuel tank mounts (if not the whole tank) as well.  So I decided to cut my losses.

QuoteI sold it to someone who can't afford a newer car and is an apprentice mechanic. 300,000 km / 175,000 mi, not bad for a GM product.

Based on the experiences of my parents - who were GM loyalists - and friends that own various GM vehicles, 175K seems to be about average before a major overhaul is required.

QuoteI'm now driving a Nissan Altima.
Best of luck with your new ride.   Nissans, Hondas, Toyotas and the like are indeed nice cars, but all were a bit out of my price range without incurring financing (unless I were to get an older one with higher mileage).  Apart from going to and from the diaylsis clinic - which is only a mile and a half from my house - three times a week, I'm fortunate I don't need my vehicle for daily commuting (I'm within walking distance of the commuter rail station and bus stop).  So being able to avoid a car payment was more important for me than getting a more expensive higher-end vehicle was.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on April 24, 2014, 03:11:30 PMThanks.  I've had the car just about two months now, and so far I'm very satisfied with it.  The improvement in gas mileage alone (22 city vs 15; 36 highway vs 28) is a huge win.
I'm assuming that "Sarah" had the 2.5L V6 engine as opposed to the 2.0L 4-banger. 

Nonetheless, 15 seems low for that engine (EPA listings for the 2.5L V6 were 20 city/28-29 highway - depending on transmission choice).  I average slightly better mpg around town w/my V8 Crown Vic.

FYI, the 2.0L 4-cylinder offered on the '99 Contour was rated 23-24 city/31-34 highway (depending on transmission choice).

You probably know this but for those that may not, the 2012 Focus has ratings ranging 26-27-28 city/36-38-40 highway (depending on transmission choice).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 24, 2014, 04:32:36 PM
I'm assuming that "Sarah" had the 2.5L V6 engine as opposed to the 2.0L 4-banger.

You are correct

QuoteNonetheless, 15 seems low for that engine (EPA listings for the 2.5L V6 were 20 city/28-29 highway - depending on transmission choice).  I average slightly better mpg around town w/my V8 Crown Vic.

Then again, EPA ratings probably aren't done in cars with aftermarket radio tranmitters and antennas.  Also, the 15 mpg was based on recent (past three to four years) averages.  She probably did better on the mileage when she was younger.

QuoteFYI, the 2.0L 4-cylinder offered on the '99 Contour was rated 23-24 city/31-34 highway (depending on transmission choice)
Interesting to know.

QuoteYou probably know this but for those that may not, the 2012 Focus has ratings ranging 26-27-28 city/36-38-40 highway (depending on transmission choice).
The 'official' EPA ratings for the 2012 Focus with DCT "automated manual" transmission (without the 'select shift' option) are 26 city, 36 highway.  The numbers I quoted as getting so far in my Focus are very rough estimates, as I haven't driven the car enough (especially on the highway) to get solid long-term mileage figures.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.