News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

FHWA approves Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway

Started by Pink Jazz, March 10, 2015, 08:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Quote from: 707 on July 10, 2015, 01:51:34 AM
How about this, knock off the lawsuits and just leave ADOT alone? As much as I don't like it that people are trying to sue ADOT for building a road, they're within their constitutional bounds to do it. I do believe however that reforms should occur, making sure frivolous lawsuits like these ones aren't accepted by the courts and that progress is allowed to continue its path. The way I see it is these lawsuits are anti-progress hippies who are just trying to very rudely and meanly destroy industry blindly hypnotized by old communists from the Soviet era who hate this country and want to watch the US fall in revenge for their failed tyrannical country's self created demise. "Why can't we have nice things?" That's why. Say what you want, but I'm standing my ground on this and support freeway construction to the end in Arizona.
I have an idea: plow right through the Gila River Indian Community and not put a single exit in it.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 10, 2015, 10:42:23 AM
I have an idea: plow right through the Gila River Indian Community and not put a single exit in it.

Well, for starters, the lawsuit filed to stop that would be entirely successful.  :-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

brad2971

Henry

Talk about irony there! It's going to be interesting to see how much of it actually gets built.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Sonic99

Interesting how there's so much talk about the handful of houses and a church that need to be bulldozed in Ahwatukee, but no talk at all of the dozens of businesses along 59th Ave that will be wiped out. Watch the fly-through video on that link, then look at Google Maps and see just what all is getting wiped out. There are dozens of businesses that will be removed along that corridor.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

The Ghostbuster

Will it be built, or will opposition kill it? Or is it too early to tell?

Pink Jazz

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 07, 2015, 04:48:04 PM
Will it be built, or will opposition kill it? Or is it too early to tell?

Since the injunction has been rejected, ADOT will be allowed to begin demolition of vacant buildings beginning on August 26.  Construction however, won't begin until March after a final ruling is made.  Hopefully ADOT has the guts to file a countersuit against PARC and the Gila River Indian Community to get their lawsuit tossed.  In addition, I hope PARC and the Gila River Indian Community get caught lying under oath and be forced to pay 100% of ADOT's court fees.

jakeroot

Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 07, 2015, 05:29:23 PM
In addition, I hope PARC and the Gila River Indian Community get caught lying under oath and be forced to pay 100% of ADOT's court fees.

Do you have some sort of moral obligation to hate anyone who dares question the actions of AZDOT?

DJStephens

Quote from: Sonic99 on August 07, 2015, 03:28:50 AM
Interesting how there's so much talk about the handful of houses and a church that need to be bulldozed in Ahwatukee, but no talk at all of the dozens of businesses along 59th Ave that will be wiped out. Watch the fly-through video on that link, then look at Google Maps and see just what all is getting wiped out. There are dozens of businesses that will be removed along that corridor.

That is exactly why it needs to be routed through Tolleson, not along 59th.  Right decision in approving the highway, it is needed to complete the SW belt route, but wrong route decision (on the west and north end). 

ztonyg

Quote from: DJStephens on August 08, 2015, 11:54:36 PM

That is exactly why it needs to be routed through Tolleson, not along 59th.  Right decision in approving the highway, it is needed to complete the SW belt route, but wrong route decision (on the west and north end).

I believe the problem with Tolleson is that the route through Tolleson would've wiped out the entire downtown.

I also agree that a direct connection to the Loop 101 in Tolleson would be preferable than routing it down 59th, but we're way past that point now.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: ztonyg on August 09, 2015, 01:30:43 PM
Quote from: DJStephens on August 08, 2015, 11:54:36 PM

I believe the problem with Tolleson is that the route through Tolleson would've wiped out the entire downtown.

I also agree that a direct connection to the Loop 101 in Tolleson would be preferable than routing it down 59th, but we're way past that point now.

If they put the connection from Loop 202 to Loop 101 each dirction with a C/D ramp at 2 through lanes then it might work out.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

andy3175

Additional stories on Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway:

http://www.azfamily.com/story/29731550/progress-continues-on-south-mountain-freeway-corridor

QuoteVacant properties owned by the Arizona Department of Transportation will soon begin (August 26, 2015) to be removed to clear a path for the future Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway, which is the last piece to complete the Loop 202 system and provide a direct link between the West Valley and East Valley. Nearly 200 vacant properties owned by the state will be razed in advance of freeway construction, which is set to begin in summer 2016.

For more than 20 years, but accelerating since late March, ADOT has been acquiring the necessary right of way for the South Mountain Freeway, including homes, businesses, and agricultural and industrial properties. Now ADOT is ready to begin clearing those properties in preparation for the 2016 start of freeway construction. ...

The South Mountain Freeway will be constructed with four lanes in each direction  three general-use lanes and one HOV lane  and modern features that have made Arizona freeways stand apart from other states for a generation, including rubberized asphalt and aesthetics designed in partnership with the community. The $1.75 billion project is expected to take about four years to construct under an innovative public-private partnership that will have a private developer design, construct and maintain the freeway for 30 years. This public-private partnership will reduce costs to taxpayers while accelerating construction for this corridor.

http://ktar.com/2015/08/06/adot-to-begin-freeway-demolition-despite-suit-not-owning-homes/

QuoteThe agency plans to begin demolition on Aug. 26. It will remove two homes per day from the freeway's eventual path just south of the community of Ahwatukee. When it's completed, it will extend the Loop 202 by 22 miles to connect Interstate 10 in Chandler and Laveen.

However, some roadblocks may remain.

Dustin Krugel said the department has completed the purchase of 85 homes and has an additional 42 in escrow. Construction plans call for the purchase and demolition of 200 homes, meaning 73 are not under state control. ADOT is hoping to avoid any delays in the project.

Opponents of the freeway filed a lawsuit to block it in March.

"Move the freeway somewhere else or just scrap the idea,"  Pat Lawlis with Protecting Arizona Resources and Children said when the suit was filed.

Lawlis said the freeway would place 17 schools with 15,000 students into a zone that would be negatively affected by air pollution, something ADOT spokesman Tim Tait said is untrue.

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

swbrotha100

pumpkineater2

It's nice to see that some progress is finally being made.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

blanketcomputer

I noticed something I found interesting in the plans for I-10 interchange with the South Mountain Freeway. This https://youtu.be/lJ2nyBL3BFw?t=372 video and this right of way map show that the HOV lanes on I-10 are going to diverge from the general purpose lanes to make room for the support columns for the flyovers. The HOV lanes then meet back with the general purpose lanes before the HOV ramp merges.

Anyone know about another interchange like this? Where some lanes separate and the support columns are sort of "within" the travel lanes?

pumpkineater2

Quote from: blanketcomputer on September 01, 2015, 07:28:24 PM
I noticed something I found interesting in the plans for I-10 interchange with the South Mountain Freeway. This https://youtu.be/lJ2nyBL3BFw?t=372 video and this right of way map show that the HOV lanes on I-10 are going to diverge from the general purpose lanes to make room for the support columns for the flyovers. The HOV lanes then meet back with the general purpose lanes before the HOV ramp merges.

I've noticed this as well. Another thing that is interesting to me is that the new eastbound lanes will be located much further to the south to make room for the HOV ramps, and the new westbound frontage road, westbound main lanes and both HOV ramps will take up more room than all 10 lanes of I-10 currently do.

Some big changes coming to this portion of I-10. It's gong to look so different.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Sonic99

Also interesting that the 63rd Ave overpass will be torn down before it ever gets used. Hard to believe it got built with the original Papago project I'm sure in the late 80's, and has never been utilized.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

blanketcomputer

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on September 01, 2015, 10:55:18 PM
Some big changes coming to this portion of I-10. It's gong to look so different.

Yep. The new eastbound lanes around the interchange will be built entirely out of the currently owned right of way. It look like the section between the 51st Ave alignment and the 59th Ave alignment will be completely reconstructed. Several cross street interchange ramps will be reconstructed, along with the frontage roads between 67th, 59th, and 51st avenues. I think in total the construction zone will stretch from 35th Ave to 83rd Ave.

Since I don't have to drive this section of I-10 very often, the sadistic side of me can't wait to sit back and see how terrible rush hour traffic will be during all this construction.

swbrotha100

Quote from: blanketcomputer on September 02, 2015, 01:22:45 AM

Yep. The new eastbound lanes around the interchange will be built entirely out of the currently owned right of way. It look like the section between the 51st Ave alignment and the 59th Ave alignment will be completely reconstructed. Several cross street interchange ramps will be reconstructed, along with the frontage roads between 67th, 59th, and 51st avenues. I think in total the construction zone will stretch from 35th Ave to 83rd Ave.

Since I don't have to drive this section of I-10 very often, the sadistic side of me can't wait to sit back and see how terrible rush hour traffic will be during all this construction.

I wouldn't be surprised if somehow ADOT managed to squeeze an extra general lane in each direction to cover the area between Loop 101 and I-17. I can see 5 lanes + 1 HOV in each direction from Loop 101 ramps to Loop 202 ramps, and between Loop 202 ramps and I-17. Lane drops probably scattered in there as well.

noelbotevera

Quote from: swbrotha100 on September 02, 2015, 09:00:50 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if somehow ADOT managed to squeeze an extra general lane in each direction to cover the area between Loop 101 and I-17. I can see 5 lanes + 1 HOV in each direction from Loop 101 ramps to Loop 202 ramps, and between Loop 202 ramps and I-17. Lane drops probably scattered in there as well.
The problem is, now you've brought Tolleson into the equation by sheer accident. That means another suburb of Phoenix has to take sides. The Gila River Indian Community is enough.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

blanketcomputer

I think you are correct. I-10 is already 5 lanes + 1 HOV in both directions between 35th Ave and I-17, and eastbound I-10 is 5 lanes + 1 HOV  between Loop 101 and 75th Ave. The plans seem to show that I-10 will be 4 lanes + 1 HOV each direction within the interchange, and 5 lanes + 1 HOV on either side of the interchange not including auxiliary and merging lanes.

swbrotha100

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 02, 2015, 03:46:41 PM

The problem is, now you've brought Tolleson into the equation by sheer accident. That means another suburb of Phoenix has to take sides. The Gila River Indian Community is enough.

How is Tolleson affected if Loop 202 connects to I-10 at 59th Ave? An extra WB lane can be added to I-10 in that stretch with little impact.

noelbotevera

Quote from: swbrotha100 on September 02, 2015, 08:12:55 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on September 02, 2015, 03:46:41 PM

How is Tolleson affected if Loop 202 connects to I-10 at 59th Ave? An extra WB lane can be added to I-10 in that stretch with little impact.
Oops. Messed up my boundary thinking there.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

mapman1071

Quote from: blanketcomputer on September 01, 2015, 07:28:24 PM

Anyone know about another interchange like this? Where some lanes separate and the support columns are sort of "within" the travel lanes?

Also shoehorn in the Proposed (2025) I-10 West Line of Light Rail running on the North Side of I-10 From 43rd Avenue to 79th Avenue (From 27th Avenue to 39th Avenue the I-10 West Line is proposed to run in the median)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.