News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

SW Pennsylvania

Started by rickmastfan67, November 30, 2011, 10:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Hope nobody needs to use PA-228 today around I-79 & US-19 in Cranberry.  It's completely closed till at least the evening rush hour because of several downed power poles from last nights heavy storms in the area.  The I-79 ramps (Exit #78) will be closed till sometime Thursday.

https://twitter.com/WPXI_DaveBondy/status/481772257077780480
https://twitter.com/WPXI_DaveBondy/status/481825242038280192
https://twitter.com/WPXI_DaveBondy/status/481754335349440512
^ Pictures of the damage

Mr_Northside

Many of those poles are relatively new, too....
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on June 25, 2014, 03:16:53 PM
Many of those poles are relatively new, too....

Yep.  And now they are reporting that it's all going to be closed still till at least mid-day tomorrow (Thursday).
http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/storms-could-cause-isolated-flooding-pittsburgh-ar/ngRJk/

And here's another picture of the damage up there:
https://twitter.com/WPXI_Courtney/status/481852526346915841

ctrabs74

As long as we're talking road re-routings, I think it's time to re-route PA 88 off it's current alignment between Elco and West Brownsville/Centerville onto the toll-free section of 43 from Exit 34 to Exit 28, where 88 splits off towards Greene County.  I had heard that the section of 88 that passes by Coal Center towards California is in need of a major rehab (as I'm sure most roadways are, especially in the Mon Valley).

ARMOURERERIC

Too tired to post links, but District 12 has awarded another $10M+ contract for a section of PA 21 between Uniontown and Waynesboro, there is a long range plan to make this corridor 4 lane divided.

Bitmapped

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on June 29, 2014, 09:07:15 PM
Too tired to post links, but District 12 has awarded another $10M+ contract for a section of PA 21 between Uniontown and Waynesboro, there is a long range plan to make this corridor 4 lane divided.
I believe this project is to realign things southwest of Carmichaels so PA 21 is the through route.  Right now, traffic has to turn to stay on PA 21.

Mr_Northside

Squirrel Hill Tunnel workers cope with speeders, exhaust fumes

This article features some pictures of the work in the tunnels.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

ARMOURERERIC

Hey, any news on the So Beltway, the PTC website has not had any updates since construction started.

ARMOURERERIC

So. I was checking out any Southern Beltway news and found this listing form the Trib on line from 6 days ago listing SW PA Regional Planning approved list, I would assume these are funded, this is for the next 2 years: 

Billions to be spent on transportation

Pittsburgh

Total: $329 million, including:

- $79 million for Liberty Bridge rehab

- $22 million 10th Street Bridge rehab

- $15 million Greenfield Avenue Bridge rehab (is this not an actual replacement?)

Allegheny County

Total: $542 million, including:

- $71 million for road projects including Route 51 and Washington Road improvements (that's a lot of $$, can someone elaborate)

- $34 million for repairs of several county-owned bridges

- $17 million Elizabeth Bridge

Armstrong County

Total: $77 million, including:

- $31 million for Route 422 safety improvements and realignment in Kittanning Township

- $7.4 million for highway resurfacing of various roads

- $6.6 million for road realignment and bridge replacement along Route 28 in Boggs

Beaver County

Total: $244 million, including:

- $82 million for Freedom Road upgrades (three phases) in New Sewickley and Conway (I am curious how much tis encompasses, with growth in Cranberry, this corridor is becoming a defacto NW arterial bypass)

- $10 million for Route 65 paving in Ambridge

- $8 million for Homewood viaduct bridge rehab in Homewood and Big Beaver

Butler County

Total: $84 million, including:

- $10 million for intersection reconstruction at Route 228 and Pittsburgh Street in Adams

- $7.5 million highway resurfacing, various roads

- $5.5 million for reconstruction of intersection at Route 228 and Saxonburg Boulevard in Clinton

Fayette County

Total: $110 million, including:

- $24.5 million for various bridge preservations

- $10 million for Route 119 improvements in Dunbar

- $6 million for improvements to Route 21 in South Union

Greene County

Total: $44 million, including:

- $11.4 million for resurfacing Route 18 in Center and Washington townships

- $5 million for realignment of the intersection at Route 21 and Bailey's Crossroads in Cumberland

- $4.1 million for resurfacing of Route 218 in Waynesburg and Franklin

Indiana County

Total: $132 million, including:

- $25 million for Route 119 improvements and bridge replacements in Rayne

- $21 million for Rose Street extension, a new two-lane road in Indiana

- $7 million for Route 56 improvements in East Wheatfield

Lawrence County

Total: $89 million, including:

- $11.4 million various road resurfacing projects

- $11 million for Mahoning viaduct bridge rehab in New Castle

- $6.6 million for various bridge rehabs

Washington County

Total: $124 million, including:

- $29 million for intersection improvements in North Strabane for Routes 519, 19 and 980

- $16.5 million for preservation of the bridge that carries Interstate 70 over Route 88 in Speers

- $7.8 million for Bavington Road Bridge rehab in Smith

Westmoreland County

Total: $220 million, including:

- $44 million for reconstruction of Route 119 in East Huntingdon

- $30.4 million for widening of Route 31 in Donegal  (I understand this involves a major upgrade to the 31/711/381 intersection)

- $23.8 million for various intersection improvements along Route 356 in Allegheny

Source: Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission

Now, a rant:  My internet access is 3G, 4G is available, but wireless is all there is out here.  I have a 5G monthly data transfer cap.  Everytime I go to the Trib on line, I find a little 1x1.5" box hidden at the bottom right corner of the screen loading a GD 1080 HD video about something I could care less about, in this case Penn States football schedule.  It eats up 35MB before anything even freaking displays.  Why do they always need to post a video in a reading medium, if I wanted to watch you tube, I would go there.  It's not even to advertise a product, nor appears to be a revenue generating function, and why do you need to post a lousy 1.5 SQ in window in freaking 1080HD.

Daily Photo Galleries

Read more: http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/6508038-74/million-route-county#ixzz39Ma49Nw9
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Hoss6884 on August 03, 2014, 07:48:21 AM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on August 03, 2014, 01:08:49 AM
Hey, any news on the So Beltway, the PTC website has not had any updates since construction started.

I was through there a week ago and there were several pillars in the ground for the bridges over US 22 near the current eastern terminus.  I will try to grab some pictures and post soon.  I live in the area and will sometimes go home that way to avoid the mess that has become the construction zone of US 22/30 near Robinson during rush hour.
I passed the 576/22 interchange 2 weeks ago, and my question is this:  What's with the silly looking BGS's (or maybe 'medium' green signs) with the tiny arrows? 
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=40.424131,-80.315745&spn=0.000016,0.013078&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.424329,-80.317813&panoid=ZwO_mDo9nIJxt2vgHXVPAg&cbp=12,353.87,,0,-1.01

Mr_Northside

Quote- $15 million Greenfield Avenue Bridge rehab (is this not an actual replacement?)

Last I heard/read it was a replacement.  Part of the plan was to shut down the Parkway East for a few days to build up (then remove) a mound of dirt for the debris of the current bridge to land on.  (Also, the bridge under the bridge would be removed)

Quote- $71 million for road projects including Route 51 and Washington Road improvements (that's a lot of $$, can someone elaborate)
Just guessing here, but the way it's phrased, it sounds like that may just be a lot of general maintenance/resurfacing/etc..., and they just mentioned those 2 roads specifically.  Other than the already-under-way 51/88 intersection work, I haven't heard of anything major planned. 

Quote- $82 million for Freedom Road upgrades (three phases) in New Sewickley and Conway (I am curious how much tis encompasses, with growth in Cranberry, this corridor is becoming a defacto NW arterial bypass)

From what I read, it starts at PA-65 and cuts to where the road was improved years ago (PA-989).  There was an article or site months ago with pretty good information and a graphic.

QuoteEverytime I go to the Trib on line, I find a little 1x1.5" box hidden at the bottom right corner of the screen loading a GD 1080 HD video about something I could care less about

Yeah... that gets real annoying.  And it's happening on so many site now.  Automatically starting videos that I don't want have become a real menace.  I don't have to worry about bandwidth limitations (speed or consumption) with FiOS, but the audio is always way too loud compared to whatever else I have going on.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Hoss6884 on August 03, 2014, 07:48:21 AM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on August 03, 2014, 01:08:49 AM

I was through there a week ago and there were several pillars in the ground for the bridges over US 22 near the current eastern terminus.  I will try to grab some pictures and post soon.  I live in the area and will sometimes go home that way to avoid the mess that has become the construction zone of US 22/30 near Robinson during rush hour.

Remember guys, we do have a dedicated thread about PA Turnpike 576. ;)

Mr_Northside

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on August 03, 2014, 11:25:49 PM- $30.4 million for widening of Route 31 in Donegal  (I understand this involves a major upgrade to the 31/711/381 intersection)

While I never found anything of real substance on PennDOT's site for this, http://www.laurelhighlandsliving.com/donegal-interchange-and-rt-31-proposed-construction/ has some pictures of pictures and info on their site.

I guess it's a major upgrade for that intersection, relative to what that intersection is.  It also looks like they're planning a truck climbing lane starting just west of the intersection. (This seems to be showing up upside-down, if you click the image in the article it appears right side up)

Interchange with the Turnpike

Looks like eastbound PA-31 traffic might get a free-flowing lane, not sure if a barrier is indicated or just painted lines.

rickmastfan67

Was just up in Cranberry tonight and found out that PennDOT has now opened the brand new PA-228 WB > I-79 SB ramp.  So, no more left turns are needed going WB on PA-228 to get onto I-79 now going either way.

ARMOURERERIC

I may have inquired before, but is there a website showing progress with the US 219 Summerset to Meyerdale progress?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on August 18, 2014, 07:29:35 PM
I may have inquired before, but is there a website showing progress with the US 219 Summerset to Meyerdale progress?

There use to be a website for this project, but it's long since gone.

Anyways, we do have a thread dedicated to this project that updates should be posted to instead of here. ;) https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2269.0

Mr_Northside

In case anyone was curious about (and aware of) progress of the US-119/PA-819 interchange reconfiguration in between Mt. Pleasant & Scottdale, I was able to get these pics on Christmas:

A rough overview:

The new bridge is higher and wider, though with the current diamond ramps open, it has nothing connecting to it yet.

The new folded-diamond on/off ramps for SB 119 each require bridges.

Mr_Northside

Greenfield Bridge implosion to close Parkway between Christmas, New Year's

Not really too much new here, other than just confirming that it's still happening.

seicer

Quote from: Mr_Northside on December 28, 2014, 04:03:00 PM
In case anyone was curious about (and aware of) progress of the US-119/PA-819 interchange reconfiguration in between Mt. Pleasant & Scottdale, I was able to get these pics on Christmas

What is the point of this when there are other intersections that could have been removed? (Not criticizing the need for the project.)

Gnutella

Looks like PA 228 will soon be four lanes between I-79 and PA 8, but they have to whack a few properties in the process.

They need to widen PA 910 to four lanes between I-79 and PA 8 as well. At least it's good to see one part of the Pittsburgh area with suburb-to-suburb movements that are something more than piss poor.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Gnutella on February 24, 2015, 01:24:49 AM
Looks like PA 228 will soon be four lanes between I-79 and PA 8, but they have to whack a few properties in the process.

I guess it all depends on the definition of "soon".  And there are still other segments on the west side of the Mars area that need widened as well.

JawnwoodS96

Not sure if anyone is familiar with this site, but The Mon Valley Progress website features some nice, detailed .pdf's of the Mon Valley Expressway from PA-51 to I-376.
Major interstates driven: i64, i264(VA), i66, i68, i70, i270(DC & OH), i71, i74, i75, i275 (Cin), i76, i376, i476, i77, i79, i279, i579, i80, i480 (OH), i81, i83, i283, i85, i185(GA), i285, i485, i90, i95, i295(VA & NJ), i495, i695(MD), i99

Go Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins!

Henry

Quote from: JawnwoodS96 on May 21, 2015, 11:36:57 AM
Not sure if anyone is familiar with this site, but The Mon Valley Progress website features some nice, detailed .pdf's of the Mon Valley Expressway from PA-51 to I-376.
It would be nice to finish PA 43 to Pittsburgh, and the Southern Beltway too.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JawnwoodS96

Quote from: Henry on May 22, 2015, 01:03:27 PM
It would be nice to finish PA 43 to Pittsburgh, and the Southern Beltway too.
The Beltway is currently under construction from US-22 to I-79. The rest of the project (Along with PA-43) is in limbo (Which is unfortunate, because the Mon Valley surely needs an expressway).
Major interstates driven: i64, i264(VA), i66, i68, i70, i270(DC & OH), i71, i74, i75, i275 (Cin), i76, i376, i476, i77, i79, i279, i579, i80, i480 (OH), i81, i83, i283, i85, i185(GA), i285, i485, i90, i95, i295(VA & NJ), i495, i695(MD), i99

Go Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins!

DeaconG

Yes, what could have been.
<Kang>"It would have been glorious! GLORIOUS!"</Kang>
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.