News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Bike lanes on a Pittsburgh bridge

Started by froggie, June 04, 2013, 04:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

http://www.crystalbae.com/2013/05/31/first-looks-pittsburgh/#more-3469

1st photo shows a multi-lane bridge, presumably over one of the rivers, with 3 lanes in one direction and a striped bike lane along the shoulder.  Any PGH-locals know which bridge this is?

rickmastfan67

froggie

Can't get to those sites out here. Can you point out location/route/body of water?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: froggie on June 04, 2013, 05:59:55 AM
Can't get to those sites out here. Can you point out location/route/body of water?

It crosses the Monongahela River between the 10th Street Bridge and the Hot Metal Bridge.  Connects Fifth Avenue to East Carson Street (PA-837).

seicer

Froggie: https://www.google.com/maps?ll=40.432457,-79.972972&spn=0.002902,0.004128&t=k&dg=opt&z=19

Thankfully, the freeway was never completed, but it's now an underutilized bridge. Protected bike lanes or a path with a barrier would be even more ideal.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on June 04, 2013, 10:30:51 AM
Froggie: https://www.google.com/maps?ll=40.432457,-79.972972&spn=0.002902,0.004128&t=k&dg=opt&z=19

He can't view Google Maps while on the ocean because of limited bandwidth.  That's why he asked me to describe the location to him.

wphiii

Thankfully, the freeway was never completed, but it's now an underutilized bridge. Protected bike lanes or a path with a barrier would be even more ideal.

Agree 100%, especially because people routinely fly over that bridge at 60 mph.

I'm of the opinion that bike lanes should never be striped on a road with a speed over 25 mph unless there's some form of physical protection between the lane and the flow of traffic, but that's another discussion entirely.

NE2

Quote from: wphiii on June 05, 2013, 11:09:49 AM
I'm of the opinion that bike lanes should never be striped on a road with a speed over 25 mph unless there's some form of physical protection between the lane and the flow of traffic, but that's another discussion entirely.
Unless you separate turning traffic from the bike lane somehow, the separation from the car lanes makes it worse on an ordinary surface road.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

wphiii

Quote from: NE2 on June 05, 2013, 11:36:09 AM
Unless you separate turning traffic from the bike lane somehow, the separation from the car lanes makes it worse on an ordinary surface road.

As long as the "protection" for the bike lane isn't a row of parked cars (something I don't agree with), there should be sufficient visibility on a motorist's part when making turns.

Bike signalization is also a popular solution.

Too many people just don't realize how vulnerable they are when there is just a stripe of paint between them and a several-ton metal object traveling in excess of 30mph. One marginal drift of the steering wheel because some driver is looking at a text, and you're done.

NE2

Quote from: wphiii on June 05, 2013, 11:56:09 AM
As long as the "protection" for the bike lane isn't a row of parked cars (something I don't agree with), there should be sufficient visibility on a motorist's part when making turns.
Visibility isn't the problem. Expectation is. Most turning motorists aren't going to realize the bike they just passed before slowing down to turn is now in their blind spot.

Quote from: wphiii on June 05, 2013, 11:56:09 AM
Too many people just don't realize how vulnerable they are when there is just a stripe of paint between them and a several-ton metal object traveling in excess of 30mph. One marginal drift of the steering wheel because some driver is looking at a text, and you're done.
Too many people just don't realize that most bike-car crashes are at intersections.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on June 05, 2013, 03:29:26 PMExpectation is. Most turning motorists aren't going to realize the bike they just passed before slowing down to turn is now in their blind spot.

... where else would you expect it to be? 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 05, 2013, 03:32:53 PM
Quote from: NE2 on June 05, 2013, 03:29:26 PMExpectation is. Most turning motorists aren't going to realize the bike they just passed before slowing down to turn is now in their blind spot.

... where else would you expect it to be? 
Waiting at the crosswalk like a good docile pedestrian.

agentsteel53

has anyone actually seen a bicyclist?

see just one do something stupid like run a stop sign opposite to the flow of one-way traffic, and you'll quickly learn that "docile" is to be discarded immediately as a possibility.

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Why would there be a stop sign for wrong-way traffic?

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on June 05, 2013, 03:49:53 PM
Why would there be a stop sign for wrong-way traffic?

I described it poorly.  divided arterial; the bicyclist is in the left side of things, i.e. opposite the flow of traffic. 

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Many cyclists do that because they (erroneously) think it's safer than riding with traffic. Misguided arguments like wphiii's help reinforce the perceived risk.

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on June 05, 2013, 04:13:54 PM
Many cyclists do that because they (erroneously) think it's safer than riding with traffic. Misguided arguments like wphiii's help reinforce the perceived risk.

at the very least, stop at the implied stop sign (there's one on the right side of the road for you!) instead of barging through.

blowing stop signs and forcing people to suddenly yield to you is the definition of "asshole", regardless of what vehicle you're in.

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 05, 2013, 03:45:12 PM
has anyone actually seen a bicyclist?

see just one do something stupid like run a stop sign opposite to the flow of one-way traffic, and you'll quickly learn that "docile" is to be discarded immediately as a possibility.

I see you've driven in Chicago.  X-(

I've come across these sorts of idgits near the University of Chicago and University of Illinois at Chicago while in Chicago.  They seem to assume that everyone (motorists and pedestrians) should stop for them, the little bike people.  I'm thisclose to sticking a tree branch into their spokes while I'm walking in the city sometime due to their incivility toward both motorists and pedestrians.  :evilgrin:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on June 05, 2013, 05:02:32 PM
I see you've driven in Chicago.  X-(

San Francisco.  same general idea, apparently.

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Back to the original discussion of separating the bike lane over the bridge with a physical barrier or not–can we all agree that only dividing it with stripes is better than no extra width at all?  I applaud the bike lane not just for the striping, but much more for the added width that made it possible.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Agree 100%, especially because people routinely fly over that bridge at 60 mph.

In the case of the bridge at hand, I'd rather not have a physical barrier.  Shoulders provide important wiggle room for vehicles, as a way of avoiding a collision with a car that either drifted across a line or didn't look before changing lanes.  If you put a physical barrier where the cross hatching is in the photo, then you take away cars' wiggle room.

Plus, you would basically eliminate the possibility of one cyclist overtaking another–a maneuver which could safely be done as is by glancing behind you, drifting into the cross hatched area, and regaining the bike lane a mere seven seconds or so later.  Put a barrier in the cross hatching, and you risk one cyclist clipping the other's pedal and causing them both to fall.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on June 05, 2013, 05:03:48 PM
Back to the original discussion of separating the bike lane over the bridge with a physical barrier or not–can we all agree that only dividing it with stripes is better than no extra width at all?  I applaud the bike lane not just for the striping, but much more for the added width that made it possible.

Most agreed.  The lanes look rather nice on the bridge, and judging from the photograph from Froggie, they get used.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on June 05, 2013, 05:09:35 PM
judging from the photograph from Froggie, they get used.

Hmmm, I wouldn't judge its use based on a photo in which only one cyclist appears, and which was framed for the specific purpose of showing off the bike lane.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

......besides which, the cyclist looks like he's on a long-distance trip, and may not even be from the area at all.
Male pronouns, please.

NE2

Quote from: kphoger on June 05, 2013, 05:03:48 PM
Back to the original discussion of separating the bike lane over the bridge with a physical barrier or not–can we all agree that only dividing it with stripes is better than no extra width at all?
Yes, on a bridge with no intersections, separation is good.

http://bikepgh.org/2007/09/27/birmingham-bridge-is-getting-bike-lanes/
I don't know about that crossing of the onramp though, but it may have been done reasonably per this comment: "i also have to say that it appears that cars from the forbes on ramp are approaching the bridge proper (and the bike crossing) much slower due to the added angle that they have to make"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.