News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Ohio
Last post by TempoNick - Today at 04:22:30 PM
Columbus is supposedly an up and coming city. Driving along I-70, what do you see? It actually looks like a bit of an excrement hole, to be honest.

I remember being in Denver when they paid some attention to the concrete work some highways they were redoing. I'm even noticing art-deco concrete work on some of the bridges. What do we get? Seas of concrete and clear-cutting what little beauty you can see along the freeways. Even something like they did along the flood wall helps dress things up.

No knock on Columbus, a fine city, but our highways are our front yard. There is no excuse for how ugly some spots look. Especially since it's the capital city.

I said something to Mayor Coleman once about beautification along I-670 because it's the gateway into town, but he blew me off.
Mid-South / Re: I-69 in TX
Last post by TheBox - Today at 04:17:15 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 24, 2024, 02:43:14 PM
Quote from: TheBox on April 24, 2024, 12:39:13 PMAnd how's the Diboll bypass right now?

As photographed by the Sentinel-2 satellite two days ago, on April 22, 2024:

No what about the Lufkin expansion north of Lufkin (south of the Redland Love's Travel Stop)
Traffic Control / Re: Unique, Odd, or Interestin...
Last post by ErmineNotyours - Today at 04:16:36 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 24, 2024, 11:35:50 AMOn VA 16 SB south of VA 348 (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10220242190525445&set=a.10220242338649148)

In Woodinville, Washington, it's cautionary, not regulatory.

Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 04:01:32 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on Today at 03:46:35 PMWhat do you mean the Rams haven't had a first-round pick since 2016?

That they have not selected in the first round since 2016. They traded them all away.

Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by epzik8 - Today at 03:46:35 PM
What do you mean the Rams haven't had a first-round pick since 2016?
Bridges / Bridges of the Mississippi Sit...
Last post by SEWIGuy - Today at 03:35:17 PM
I don't know if this is old news or a mistake., but looks as though John Week's site on the bridges of the Mississippi is no longer. Even though Wikipedia replicated much of what was there, it was a great site.
Canada / Re: Ontario's Highways
Last post by Chris - Today at 02:53:08 PM
A map showing the 110 km/h sections.

General Highway Talk / Re: Routing Decisions that can...
Last post by StogieGuy7 - Today at 02:37:02 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on Today at 12:03:15 PM
Quote from: StogieGuy7 on Today at 11:46:32 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 16, 2024, 10:57:24 AMIt's no longer the case, but this thread made me think of the problem of passing through the Baltimore area up until the Fort McHenry Tunnel opened in November 1985. ....

Ah, the Harbor Tunnel! If you think that was bad, you should have seen it before the Key Bridge (RIP) was opened.  ....

I almost certainly experienced the Harbor Tunnel before the bridge opened, but I don't remember any such trips because the bridge opened just over two months before my fourth birthday.

It was right up there with the Cross-Bronx Expressway for being the worst part of our 8 hour trip. Especially recall being stuck down in the road cut just before/after you are in the tunnel. Could not see anything but the traffic and the smog coming from it. They had some pretty ancient (even for then) signage and lighting back then too - like elongated fluorescent lights, which I thought were pretty cool. 1950s vintage, I'd imagine.
Southeast / Re: Interstate 73/74
Last post by NE2 - Today at 02:35:26 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on Today at 01:43:59 AM
Quote from: jdunlop on April 24, 2024, 08:42:15 PMFHWA requires full movement at all Interstate interchanges (with very few exceptions) hence the redundant ramps.

Is this something introduced in the last 15-20 years, in which the interstate-to-interstate connection must include direct ramps between all directions?

I ask this because I can think of many interstate-to-interstate junctions that don't have this, usually a bypass route and its parent (i.e. for a California example, I-405 and I-5 at both ends in Sylmar and Irvine respectively, in which Route 118 and Route 133 serve the missing movements nearby).

Texas is apparently allowed to cheat; there is no direct ramp from I-14 east (designated 2017) to I-35 south.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.