AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 05:10:17 PM 
Started by 1 - Last post by intelati49
Jeez. Out of the top ten, I'm missing NYNY, Houston, Miami, Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Boston.

I really need to head east more often. (Have stayed in every state west of the Mississippi except for Oregon, Idaho, and Montana)

on: Today at 05:08:47 PM 
Started by 1 - Last post by wanderer2575
I have never been in any part of New York City and have no desire to do so.

on: Today at 05:07:49 PM 
Started by briantroutman - Last post by wanderer2575
I-675 at I-75 north of Saginaw, MI:
https://goo.gl/maps/rpHGLGN22CT2

The I-75 interchange with M-24/Business I-75 in Auburn Hills, MI is a double trumpet with twin overpasses over both highways:
https://goo.gl/maps/2DCbUa2bMbA2

on: Today at 05:06:43 PM 
Started by briantroutman - Last post by intelati49
I44 and James River Freeway in Springfield, MO

Rte 66
Rte 66, Springfield, MO 65802

https://goo.gl/maps/EegCDbNUVcC2

on: Today at 04:54:43 PM 
Started by jeffe - Last post by jeffe
There as been talk of Caltrans phasing out Botts Dots in other discussions.  I've also noticed that District 11 (San Diego) has been experimenting with using 6-inch wide lane lines.   

On 19 May 2017 Caltrans issued the following memo:
Implementation of Six-Inch Wide Traffic Lines and Discontinuing Use of Non-Reflective Raised Pavement Markers

All new lanelines, edgelines, and centerlines will be 6 inches wide instead of the current 4 inches.  When lines are refreshed during maintenance, they will be replaced with the new wider lines.  An exception is made for lines with reflectors on either side (e.g. a double yellow line) because the wider lines will not fit without moving the reflectors.

The standard plans will be updated in July to reflect these changes.

This rescinds the previous directive which allowed for thermoplastic striping to be placed over Botts Dots:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/policy/00-02.pdf

Overall, this should increase lane line visibility. Wider shoulder lines have been shown to help reduce the rate of vehicles running off the road.  However, I've always found the dots to be helpful with keeping vehicles from drifting out of a lane.   

on: Today at 04:52:49 PM 
Started by froggie - Last post by 1995hoo
I-66 tolling signs are up on the Inner Loop between Route 50 and Route 29 (we exited there today, so I don't know if there are any more). My dashcam malfunctioned so I don't have a picture. The signs will list the rates to Route 7, Washington Boulevard, and the Roosevelt Bridge. Black-on-white signs with no Clearview.

If we go to Tysons tomorrow, I'll make sure to get a picture now that I know they're up.

on: Today at 04:42:31 PM 
Started by V'Ger - Last post by Strider
Edging back from fictional territory, here's what I think (from an NC point of view, that is).

Conversion of US 74 to an interstate from I-26 to Wilmington: It's pretty much inevitable. Watch Shelby. With construction on the Shelby Bypass underway, it's only a matter of time before someone in Shelby says, why don't we have this as an interstate highway? And Wilmington is on record wanting an interstate connection along US 74.

Conversion of all of US 17 in NC to an interstate: not impossible, but not any time soon. We'll see additional freeway sections, but I don't see any push for a full interstate.

Connecting I-74 to Myrtle Beach: never going to happen. NCDOT has zero motivation to build that section through the swamps from US 74 to US 17.

US-74's conversion between I-26 and Wilmington would probably be made up of shorter interstates rather than one long 3-di. I-x26 between I-26 and I-85, I-x74 between I-485 and I-74 in Rockingham. It would certainly be easier than trying to ram one long corridor through Congress.

I don't see a push for US-17 (sans I-87) to become an interstate, either.

I also don't see NCDOT sending I-74 to Myrtle Beach. I-74's routing through the swamps is a huge invitation for lawsuits. Hell, NCDOT is already being sued over the US-70 Havelock Bypass and it hasn't even broke ground yet.

I don't see I-74 going to Myrtle Beach either. There is no reason for it to be. and NCDOT is being sued over US-70 Havelock Bypass? What's up with that?

on: Today at 04:37:05 PM 
Started by I-39 - Last post by I-39
The plan on paper (per the statute Richie quoted) is still expansion of US 69 to expressway or better all the way to the Oklahoma state line.  Fort Scott-Arma, which is currently under construction, is probably the easiest remaining part.  Apeman33 has already mentioned the stoplights in Fort Scott itself, which are not easily bypassable, and although the Pittsburg bypass itself has reasonable access control, there are more stoplights north from its northern end and through Frontenac as well as some ribbon development that would have to be addressed.  South of Pittsburg, US 69 is on a circuit-diagram routing and it would almost certainly save time and miles to build a relocation along US 400 and Alternate US 69, closer to Baxter Springs than to Columbus.  But since this is the heart of the old Tri-State mining district, I envisage a major challenge will be addressing subsidence due to abandoned and imperfectly mapped tunnels, which are a huge headache especially in the K-7 corridor.

In Oklahoma there is more to do and less funding to do it with.  From the Red River to the Kansas border along a plausible I-45 extension routing (Alternate US 69 to Miami, US 69 from Miami to the Texas border) is about 256 miles, of which the currently existing McAlester-Muskogee freeway comprises only 53 miles, the Durant-Caddo freeway a further 12 miles, and the freeway stub north of the Red River just 4 miles, for a total of 69 miles.  The entire corridor would not have to be upgraded to freeway as long as there were grade separations at major intersections and planning control (not just access control) sufficiently ironclad not just to prevent ribbon development but also to avoid traffic at sideroad intersections rising to the extent that signals are justified.  Unfortunately, Muskogee and the length just south of Durant are already built up, though McAlester seems to have an all-but-freeway.

So this is to become part of the proposed I-45 extension?

I really don't see a need for an I-45 extension to be honest.

on: Today at 04:36:51 PM 
Started by briantroutman - Last post by cpzilliacus
In McLean, Virginia, the George Washington Memorial Parkway (National Park Service maintenance, "secret' VA-90005) ends at I-495 just south of the American Legion Bridge over the Potomac River with a trumpet.  Traffic from the Inner Loop I-495 and to the Outer Loop I-495 have always been on separate bridges, perhaps because at one time there were plans for this parkway to continue further upstream to the vicinity of the Great Falls of the Potomac.

on: Today at 04:34:32 PM 
Started by Brian556 - Last post by Baloo Uriza
What do these mean? Is it referring to a turn or jake brakes?

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2781012,-98.5793871,3a,75y,20.05h,76.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szOuFucR42-9FwO1bttH1YA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.279544,-98.5793623,3a,16.1y,219.39h,88.02t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sOW30wt2d1RiUJR_SHcwbVQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DOW30wt2d1RiUJR_SHcwbVQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D172.10814%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

It means you can't make a U-turn to park on the opposite side of the street.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.