News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Timelapse Driving Videos

Started by haljackey, August 28, 2013, 12:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haljackey

Timelapse driving videos are a hobby of mine. Let's use this thread to share them with the community!

Here's a couple I have made from a recent trip to Toronto.

Highway 403 in the Toronto area, showcasing HOV lanes:

Super-sped-up extended edition here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW2BWulJSW8

If you like these, you can find more of mine here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3Yl0lRNSH1hES4_9Dp7gP9YwFkFqclxU

Now let's see your creations!

DSS5

I've never made any, but I've always wanted to and I enjoy watching them.

This is one of my favorites:

haljackey

Taking the Gardiner Expressway into downtown Toronto

NJRoadfan

What are you using for camera mounts? Mine is less than optimal with the shaking.

I also ran into problems with Adobe Premiere Pro speeding up video. Turns out its pretty brain dead, particularly with interlaced HDV video. So I ran it through Avisynth to speed it up and deinterlace it.

haljackey

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 30, 2013, 11:41:30 PM
What are you using for camera mounts? Mine is less than optimal with the shaking.

I use a flexible tripod and attach it to the dash with two-sided tape. Looks like this:

Anyways another from me: North America's Busiest Highway at night

vtk

Quote from: DSS5 on August 28, 2013, 08:36:43 AM

• That group does not consist of morning people.
  • The odometer rolls at the same speed whether the car is cruising down the Interstate, stuck in traffic, or parked at Walmart.
  • The sky is as interesting as anything else.  Especially at and after sunset in New Mexico.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

haljackey

Autumn timelapse from London to Kitchener for Oktoberfest

haljackey

Haeleus

I love watching timelapse videos, though personally I appreciate when people upload trips without music and at x1 speed (BigRigTravels at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6LugwoDFQ2xlZVNQRCec_Q ec_Q does a great job of that).

Still, I really love these videos of I-70 in Colorado by ScrewdUPClickV2:

DSS5

A YouTuber named Socarboy uses the similar format as the two videos you posted (displaying signs and information)

haljackey

Quote from: Haeleus on November 04, 2013, 01:44:32 PM
I love watching timelapse videos, though personally I appreciate when people upload trips without music and at x1 speed

If you don't want music then just mute the video.

1x speed isn't a timelapse.

ScrewdUPClickV2 makes amazing videos.

WashuOtaku

Here are my time lapse videos I did mostly on I-77 (NC, VA, WV) and one with I-90 (PA), enjoy!   :spin:

sbeaver44

Video from dashcam (actual video starts about 15 seconds in) last year driving from Ohio to Illinois on the South Dakota trip.  I didn't have the mount for my camera somehow so I dont' have video from before the Walmart in Elyria, OH; otherwise we left Baltimore at midnight.

I use a Sony Camcorder plugged into a Duracell Power Inverter and secured to the dash with velcro mounting strips.  Then I compress the video using FFMpeg to a ratio of 1/60th.

Mr. Matté

Google Street View time lapse of all of I-10

haljackey

Arguably my best timelapse road video: Highway 401 through Toronto.

It includes a lane counter in the annotations

haljackey

Here is the 401 through Toronto in the opposite direction at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7J_ZCs6aoM

ZLoth

On one of my days off, I need to link up my BluRay player and watch these videos on my television.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

ElPanaChevere

I personally don't make them but there is one Youtuber named barbiepoledancer who has really high quality timelapse driving videos. She has her videos in a format where the state you're located in is in the upper left hand corner (denoted by a welcome sign), the route you're on (lower left hand corner), the current city you're in (in text on the bottom of the screen). It's so well done and I'm astounded by how much effort she puts intos her videos.
Interstates Clinched: 16,17,24,66,78,85,87
Been On: 4,5,8,10,12,15,20,24,25, 26,30,35,40,44,55,57,59,64,65,68,69,70,71,72,73,74(W/E),75,76(W/E),77,80,81,82,83,84(W/E),88(E),89,90,91,93,94,95,96,99

ElPanaChevere

Quote from: DSS5 on August 28, 2013, 08:36:43 AM
I've never made any, but I've always wanted to and I enjoy watching them.

I think that it's a cool video too! I love the idea of changing the  song when you cross a state line (and having the song about the state you're in, how cool is that?)

Anyway, I agree by saying that these people stopped way too many times. Like, seriously?  :-D
Been On: 4,5,8,10,12,15,20,24,25, 26,30,35,40,44,55,57,59,64,65,68,69,70,71,72,73,74(W/E),75,76(W/E),77,80,81,82,83,84(W/E),88(E),89,90,91,93,94,95,96,99

US 41

I love watching timelapse videos, though personally I appreciate when people upload trips without music and at x1 speed

I hate the x1 speed. Those videos are so long and boring. The time lapse are way better as long as they aren't so fast that they seem to be skipping over stuff (like the America in 15 minutes). The time lapse by the author of this topic had perfect timing.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

ElPanaChevere

Quote from: US 41 on June 30, 2014, 04:38:33 PM

I hate the x1 speed. Those videos are so long and boring. The time lapse are way better as long as they aren't so fast that they seem to be skipping over stuff (like the America in 15 minutes). The time lapse by the author of this topic had perfect timing.

I agree with this statement! I always avoid videos at 1x the speed since they just seem so.darn.slow. As long as they have things that tell me what route we're driving and what city/state we're in, then I'm happy. I'm always curious to see what route the uploader took and without those, regardless of the speed, I can't watch them.

Alps

Depends on the road. I tend to only video short freeways and long bridges, nothing more than 5 minutes as a general rule. Pulaski Skyway is around the longest video I've done. If I had a dashcam setup plugged into the lighter and capable of taking an hour of video, I would want to speed it up about 10x.

hbelkins

4x seems to be a reasonable speed. I've tried 2-2.5x and it seems too slow. 5x seems too fast. I like to do complete 3dis when possible, or complete roads within a state if that works (such as all of I-95 in New York).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

haljackey

1x speed is only good when there is something notable on or off the road that warrants more coverage.

The only 1x speed video I've done is the drive into downtown Toronto as it does a better job showing the city skyline.

Compare to 4x. It goes by too fast.

US 41

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I found a guy on Youtube today that does some European Time Lapses / videos. His username is Highway_Stratocaster. I thought someone might be interested in them. Even with the time lapse they are a couple of hours long. I've posted two of them. One is from Belarus to Warsaw. The other one is from Poland to Belgium. He also has some real time videos in Russia. Under recommended videos there are a lot of European Videos by other authors as well.

Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.