News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic Lights for Residential Driveways

Started by Alex4897, November 07, 2013, 08:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex4897

After going to Hershey Park a few times in the past two or three years, I noticed something that kind of surprised me.  There's a 3-way intersection in south Hershey where PA 743 switches streets.  However, instead of just signalling each of the three main intersection approaches, PaDOT (or whoever's in charge of it) hung two full blown signals and a "No Turn On Red" sign for a short driveway for a home alongside the road.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.267632,-76.647833&spn=0.000942,0.002064&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=40.267693,-76.648199&panoid=S2GETsXzfUgU5V4WfqK_9Q&cbp=12,123.88,,0,5.34

Anyone else have examples of this?
👉😎👉

Big John

I have seen something similar at a couple intersections in Cobb County, GA

cpzilliacus

A veterinary clinic has signals for its driveway on Md. 214 (Central Avenue) at Pike Ridge Road in Edgewater, Anne Arundel County.

Google from above here and GSV here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

wxfree

Not the same situation, but this reminds me of an intersection near Granbury, TX, where there's a signal facing a short gravel drive leading to two gates accessing fields.  My guess is that it's related to permitted access points to the highway, but I've never seen any vehicles there or either gate open.  I also don't see any actuation equipment for that side.

http://goo.gl/maps/vLVuN
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Alex4897

Quote from: wxfree on November 07, 2013, 08:28:03 PM
Not the same situation, but this reminds me of an intersection near Granbury, TX, where there's a signal facing a short gravel drive leading to two gates accessing fields.  My guess is that it's related to permitted access points to the highway, but I've never seen any vehicles there or either gate open.  I also don't see any actuation equipment for that side.

I'd assume that was in preparation of an extension of that loop/bypass they're building, but it does look fairly useless at the time of the picture.
👉😎👉

wxfree

Quote from: Alex4897 on November 07, 2013, 08:32:10 PM

I'd assume that was in preparation of an extension of that loop/bypass they're building, but it does look fairly useless at the time of the picture.

Long-term plans show a connection being built there, but the loop's almost 10 years old and it'll probably be 10 more years before the connection's built.  That's a long time to have a useless signal wasting electricity and bulbs.  I could see possibly building the structure in advance, but they shouldn't have it running showing a constant red for probably 20 years.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Alex4897

Quote from: wxfree on November 07, 2013, 08:40:47 PM
Quote from: Alex4897 on November 07, 2013, 08:32:10 PM

Long-term plans show a connection being built there, but the loop's almost 10 years old and it'll probably be 10 more years before the connection's built.  That's a long time to have a useless signal wasting electricity and bulbs.  I could see possibly building the structure in advance, but they shouldn't have it running showing a constant red for probably 20 years.

I noticed they had a left turn signal on the pole too, I highly doubt there's sensors tripping that.
👉😎👉

Charles2

Quote from: Alex4897 on November 07, 2013, 08:08:13 PM
After going to Hershey Park a few times in the past two or three years, I noticed something that kind of surprised me.  There's a 3-way intersection in south Hershey where PA 743 switches streets.  However, instead of just signalling each of the three main intersection approaches, PaDOT (or whoever's in charge of it) hung two full blown signals and a "No Turn On Red" sign for a short driveway for a home alongside the road.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.267632,-76.647833&spn=0.000942,0.002064&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=40.267693,-76.648199&panoid=S2GETsXzfUgU5V4WfqK_9Q&cbp=12,123.88,,0,5.34

Anyone else have examples of this?

There are at least two instances of this in the Birmingham metro area.  One is at the intersection of CR-95 and CR-44 in the suburb of Alabaster.  CR-95 dead ends into CR-44, and there is a driveway across CR-44.

The second instance is in the suburb of Homewood along Lakeshore Drive (SR-149).  In one direction, one turns into the entrance to Homewood High School (BTW, shameless plug: my nephew will be marching in the Tournament of Roses Parade on 1/1/14 with the Homewood band.  He plays tenor saxophone); at this same traffic light, one can turn in the other direction into a private driveway.

ARMOURERERIC

In Lakeside CA, at the jogged intersection of Los Coches Road, Lamplite Lane and Lakeview Ave, the Lamplite half is set up as a 4 way intersection with full signalization for a residential driveway on a ranch house.  Los Coches was widened around 2001 from a 2 lane country road and it appears that the driveway isnot even long enough for 1 car.

jeffandnicole

http://goo.gl/maps/a5m2J
This is a 'Y' intersection.  The two driveways (1 each to the left & right) each have their own signal and doppler radar sensor. 

----------------------------------------------------------

http://goo.gl/maps/3f5y5
The driveway across the way has it's own light, a 'Do Not Enter' sign for wayward drivers, and even a short left turn lane for those needing to turn left into that driveway (I wish more normal intersections in NJ had left turn lanes!!!).

Alex

PurdueBill

These two in Lafayette, IN are still there--the first is no longer on a state highway technically, although the INDOT-installed signals have been left behind.  There are loops in the concrete of the driveway/sidewalk of the house.

rickmastfan67

Brian556

I've seen busy business driveways attach to a signalized intersection without any signal heads facing them.
There's one on I-20 in East Texas. It was kinda suprising to find this in Texas. The other one is in Chattanooga, TN. it wasn't so suprising to find this in TN- They seem to be clueless when it comes to traffic control issues.

briantroutman

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 08, 2013, 01:05:08 AM
Here's one on US-40 here in PA.

And an "ALL TRAFFIC MUST TURN LEFT" sign on the mast arm. Must be fun for this guy trying to get home. Unless they had a white-on-black supplemental plate underneath that said "EXCEPT FRANK".

PHLBOS

PA seems to be notorious in signalizing driveways that are near/at intersections.  I guess it's easier than condemning the adjacent property or relocating dirveways.

Here's one not too far from where I live that was erected nearly a decade ago along Providence Road in Secane/Primos (Upper Darby Twp., Delaware County) at a shopping center entrance.  Note the 2 post-mounted signalheads facing the driveway (to the right).

http://goo.gl/maps/9oJLj

A signal-geek kid's dream come true if it were his driveway that was signalized.

Nonetheless, it still begs this question; why use 12" signalheads for the driveway (I can understand the reasoning behind using 2 signalheads) when 8" heads will more than do the job?

It's not like these signals need to be seen from a long distance nor the traffic volume along the driveway warrants such.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

elsmere241

Quote from: briantroutman on November 08, 2013, 02:44:08 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 08, 2013, 01:05:08 AM
Here's one on US-40 here in PA.

And an "ALL TRAFFIC MUST TURN LEFT" sign on the mast arm. Must be fun for this guy trying to get home. Unless they had a white-on-black supplemental plate underneath that said "EXCEPT FRANK".

There is a sign that says "Private driveway, no thru traffic."  Your "Except Frank" reminds me of a Nissan commercial from around 1991, with "Bob's Expressway", "Bob" getting his own lane at the tollbooth, "Go Bob", "Yield to Bob", and finally "No Parking Except for Bob."  A policeman is about to write a ticket when he realizes, "Oh, it's you, Bob."

Jardine

Most of those driveway traffic light situations look like ideal places for Walgreens and CVS stores.

VERY VERY odd they haven't built them yet.

briantroutman

Quote from: elsmere241 on November 08, 2013, 12:34:04 PM
...Nissan commercial from around 1991, with "Bob's Expressway", "Bob" getting his own lane at the tollbooth, "Go Bob", "Yield to Bob", and finally "No Parking Except for Bob."  A policeman is about to write a ticket when he realizes, "Oh, it's you, Bob."

You mean this?

I completely forgot about this one...

elsmere241

Quote from: briantroutman on November 08, 2013, 12:50:03 PM
You mean this?

I completely forgot about this one...

That's the one.  Thanks for the link.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Jardine on November 08, 2013, 12:43:37 PM
Most of those driveway traffic light situations look like ideal places for Walgreens and CVS stores.

VERY VERY odd they haven't built them yet.
If pans 90 to 135 degrees the the left of the example I posted, one will see a CVS in the shopping center itself (not the driveway).

While the shopping center was there for decades the signals and the CVS came around the same time.  This CVS moved from its previous (& smaller building size) location at the Providence Plaza located further up the road.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Jardine

Still room for more of 'em!!

Squeeze 'em in!!

PHLBOS

Quote from: Jardine on November 08, 2013, 02:21:29 PM
Still room for more of 'em!!

Squeeze 'em in!!
Then the driveways that are signalized would not be residential driveways; the whole premise of this thread.     :sombrero:

Last time I checked, CVS and Walgreens are not residences.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

countysigns

http://goo.gl/maps/c6QvH
Suder Avenue - just south of Ottawa River Road.  Light was put in when Kroger was built a few years ago.

On the topic - are the traffic signals serving such driveways turned off at night or dimmed?  One would think it would be a distraction to have three colors beaming into your living room or your bedroom at night.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.