News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Proposed but never built bridges

Started by Bruce, May 16, 2014, 05:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: roadman on March 11, 2016, 10:02:40 AM
When the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel was being proposed, Robert Moses pushed for a suspension bridge instead:

http://www.nycroads.com/crossings/brooklyn-battery/

Robert Moses once described a tunnel as "a tiled vehicular bathroom."

Yeah, this is also mentioned in The Power Broker.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mariethefoxy

I wish they did build the Oyster Bay-Rye bridge or the other one further east that was supposed to connect to William Floyd Parkway.

Rothman

Quote from: mariethefoxy on March 16, 2016, 12:50:30 PM
I wish they did build the Oyster Bay-Rye bridge or the other one further east that was supposed to connect to William Floyd Parkway.

Shhhh.  Don't say that out loud.  People around here will laugh at you.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

BrianP

catsynth

Quote from: DTComposer on May 18, 2014, 12:11:06 AM
The "Southern Crossing" has been proposed almost since the Bay Bridge first opened. Most plans had originating from US-101 along the Cesar Chavez Street (nee Army Street) corridor, either crossing to Alameda:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/4235799354/in/set-72157622139053795

or Bay Farm Island, by the Oakland Airport:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/4231789143/in/set-72157622139053795

Yes, the Southern Crossing was the first that came to mind for me.  I believe the proposals had it signed as CA 230, though more recent concepts had it as an extension of I-380?

On a related note, the exit from I-280N to Cesar Chavez (Army) is particularly large...
http://www.catsynth.com
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

Completed 2di: I-80, I-87 (NY), I-84 (E), I-86 (E), I-97, I-44

sparker

Quote from: catsynth on May 08, 2017, 09:54:40 PM
Quote from: DTComposer on May 18, 2014, 12:11:06 AM
The "Southern Crossing" has been proposed almost since the Bay Bridge first opened. Most plans had originating from US-101 along the Cesar Chavez Street (nee Army Street) corridor, either crossing to Alameda:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/4235799354/in/set-72157622139053795

or Bay Farm Island, by the Oakland Airport:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/4231789143/in/set-72157622139053795

Yes, the Southern Crossing was the first that came to mind for me.  I believe the proposals had it signed as CA 230, though more recent concepts had it as an extension of I-380?

On a related note, the exit from I-280N to Cesar Chavez (Army) is particularly large...

CA 230 was not intended for a Southern Crossing designation; in the first and second iterations of the California Freeway & Expressway network (1959 & 1965) CA 87 was still shown as paralleling US 101 to the east along the western shores of SF Bay; it originally extended to I-480 (CA 480 after '65) just north of the Bay Bridge but was truncated back to the existing I-280 alignment when that route was relocated from its original planned N-S alignment along CA 1/19th Avenue to where it is today (which was originally CA 82 and ending at CA 87).  87 was to serve Hunters' Point and the Candlestick area before heading south on a causeway to skirt SFO to the east.  230 was originally a connector from the present I-380/US 101 interchange northeast to meet 87 north of the airport.  When 87 was truncated back to San Jose, 230 took over its routing from the former junction point north to I-280.  The Southern Crossing was to extend from 230 near Hunters' Point to somewhere along CA 61 near Oakland Airport.  Although it was thought by some planners that I-380 would subsume the CA 230 routing as far as the Southern Crossing west end before turning east on the crossing itself, there was never -- even in the days when the crossing was being taken seriously -- any designation beyond such speculation.  Given that the crossing traversed the bay at or near its widest point (and would have cost somewhere in excess of $5-10 billion, depending upon final configuration), it was always a pipedream to be revived whenever regional congestion seemed to reach a tipping point.  I'm sure, despite the perennial objections of environmentalists and fiscal naysayers, that it will rear its head again from time to time as a "relief route" for the Bay and San Mateo bridges.   

kkt

I'm surprised that the southern crossing might have cost as much as $10 billion.  It's longer than the Bay Bridge, yes, but wouldn't have to be as high above the water; piers would be closer together and more frequent except for a short high-rise section over the channel, like the San Mateo Bridge.  Also it probably would not be 10 lanes.

epzik8

Baltimore's Fort McHenry Bridge became the Fort McHenry Tunnel.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

sparker

Aside from the long-discussed (and ever-controversial) replacement for the I-5 twin drawbridges over the Columbia River, there have been proposals at times for a "west end" bridge across the Columbia from, most often,  either the St. John's district of Portland or Sauvie Island near the confluence of the Willamette and Columbia rivers.  Cost and environmental concerns have sunk these proposals regularly, although from time to time alternate proposals have been put forth for alignments as far downstream as the town of St. Helens with the idea that the farther away from Portland the less objections would be raised (so far, even that idea has proven fruitless).  Since progress on a I-5 replacement for the present substandard facility at or near the present site has gotten nowhere, it's unlikely that a downstream bridge -- which would probably involve only surface/at-grade approaches, would garner much support in the near term, given regional politics and the inability to reach inter-state agreements.   

kkt

If they put an I-5 bridge downstream around St. Helens, how would the right of way get south past Portland?  You'd run into urbanized area around Hillsboro or Beaverton where there would be massive opposition and expense.  Would be useful, though, reaching I-5 a little north of Salem and bypassing some frequent congestion.

sparker

Quote from: kkt on May 11, 2017, 06:34:30 PM
If they put an I-5 bridge downstream around St. Helens, how would the right of way get south past Portland?  You'd run into urbanized area around Hillsboro or Beaverton where there would be massive opposition and expense.  Would be useful, though, reaching I-5 a little north of Salem and bypassing some frequent congestion.

Actually, all the "west end" proposals I've seen just dealt with a bridge from I-5 to US 30.  Any extension over the hill to the Beaverton/Hillsboro area wasn't part or parcel of such plans; the function of the bridge was as a I-5 reliever rather than the northern end of a larger-scale metro bypass concept.  While I was living in Portland in the '90's several of these proposals were made with the limitations I cited; whether later versions featured more comprehensive regional plans isn't something of which I'm aware -- although at this time it's not surprising that such concepts were forwarded. 

roadman65

Robert Moses original bridge across the mouth of the East River that got foiled by the current Brooklyn- Battery Tunnel is worth noting.  It was only amended to the tunnel because of National Defense due to the Brooklyn Navy Yard nearby and of course aesthetics as a bridge there would ruin the view of the New York Skyline. 

Plus an interesting feat was made anyway, as the Brooklyn- Battery Tunnel is one of the longest underwater roadway tunnels around at over 9.000 feet its pretty impressive.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.