News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Northeast Alabama Road Meet Interest?

Started by codyg1985, May 28, 2014, 07:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which date(s) work for you for a NE Alabama Road Meet

Saturday, October 25th
6 (75%)
Saturday, November 1st
5 (62.5%)
Saturday, November 8th
6 (75%)
Other
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

codyg1985

I am gauging interest in a potential road meet in northeast Alabama in late October or early November. There are several roadgeek items of interest (and a few non-roadgeek ones too):

- AL 35 southbound bridge (BB Comer Bridge) across the Tennessee River in Scottsboro is being replaced. The original truss bridge from 1931 will soon bite the dust when the new bridge is finished sometime next year, unless preservation efforts can save it. This is also the only major construction project in the area.
- Farther upstream along the Tennessee River is the AL 117 crossing, or the Captain John Snodgrass Bridge. The BB Comer Bridge would be the main feature of this meet.
- AL 227 through Guntersville State Park is signed north-south but you go north to go south and vice versa along the segment through the state park. The northernmost portion of AL 227 is along an improved two lane facility that, along with AL 62 (a four-lane road!) and Dekalb CR 400, was part of a grander plan I believe to bridge the Tennessee River, but it never came to fruition. AL 62 served a Monsanto plant on the Tennessee River.
- US 431 northbound through Guntersville features a Runaway Truck Ramp at the foot of Sand Mountain (the only one in Alabama for now until the Anniston Eastern Bypass opens). US 431 also has a one-way street configuration through downtown Guntersville.
- There are several old US highway alignments through Albertville, Boaz, Arab, and Scottsboro for US 431, US 231, and US 72, respectively. The old US 231 alignment through Arab is not state-maintained, but old US 431 through Albertville/Boaz is AL 205, and old US 72 is AL 35 between Woodville and Scottsboro, and AL 279 between Scottsboro and Hollywood.
- AL 35 and AL 40 ascending Sand Mountain and AL 79 ascending Cumberland Mountain are quite scenic.
- Of non-roadgeek interest, there is the Payne's Sandwich Shop and Soda Fountain in downtown Scottsboro which serves lunch and has an old fashioned soda fountain. It is the oldest continually run business in Alabama, and started operation as a pharmacy in 1869. There is also the Unclaimed Baggage Center in Scottsboro as well.

I would probably have the lunch either at Payne's Sandwich Shop or the Lake Guntersville State Park lodge, although it may be better to have dinner at the lodge since the lodge offers spectacular views of the Tennessee River and the sunset. I admit that there aren't as many major roadgeek attractions as one would usually have at a road meet, but this is a very scenic part of Alabama, especially during the fall. The weather is also the best in the fall, too.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

A.J. Bertin

-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Depends on finances, but I'd be interested, for sure.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Of course you know I would be interested but the thing about October for me is at the end of October is mine and Steph's wedding anniversary and she does want to go some where for a weekend that does not involve a toy show or a road meet so will see. Also early November starts a BIG run of toy shows for me each weekend  in Novemeber up to the middle of Decemeber so will see on that too.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

brianreynolds

Yes, I am certainly interested.  We will see if work schedules or family obligations interfere.

US71

Interested, but don't really have the time & money right now.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alps

Interested, but would be a weekend affair - fly to somewhere near there on Friday night and back on Sunday night - subject to flights as we get closer.

SSOWorld

I'm toning down after NYC for the year at the minimum.  Finances need to shift to other priorites (Of course I've said that before and look what I'm doing now :P)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

codyg1985

It definitely looks like there is enough interest for us to start zeroing in on a date.

I was wanting to pick a time close to when the fall colors peak around here, which is late October or early November. That leaves the following dates:

Saturday, October 25th
Saturday, November 1st
Saturday, November 8th

I'm going to do a poll to tally up the preferences.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Here is more information on the Lake Guntersville State Park lodge restaurant we would be eating either lunch or dinner at: http://www.alapark.com/LakeGuntersville/Restaurant/

And here is lodging information at the hotel near the State Park lodge in case anyone is interested in that option: http://www.alapark.com/parks/images/lake-guntersville/Lake-Guntersville-State-Park-Accommodation-Rates.pdf
Cody Goodman

drcole11

I am in.  Let me know the specifics when you get them.

Alps

Changed poll to allow multiple answers
Right now, anything works for me. I won't know conflict dates till I get much closer.

Brandon

It's a bit early for me to decide, but it does sound interesting.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

getemngo

This would be slightly more likely for me than Oologah (don't tell bugo!). With my financial situation, I'd give it a 40%. The possibility of riding with A.J. helps.
~ Sam from Michigan

codyg1985

Looks like as of right now October 25th and November 1st are tied. I am leaning towards November 1st as of right now.
Cody Goodman

Duke87

As with Oologah, my answer to attending a road meet in that region is "not this year".

Or maybe "not again this year" since I was in Nashville.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Avalanchez71

I would like to go, however, it will depend on how my election goes.

codyg1985

Looks like October 25th is in the lead. I have went ahead and created a Facebook event for the meet for that day. Either RSVP in this thread, on the Facebook event, or PM me.
Cody Goodman

hbelkins

I said "maybe" on the Facebook event, and I'll say "maybe" here. It's a long way out on the calendar for sure and it depends on a number of factors -- about 99 percent financial.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

freebrickproductions

I'm interested, but I most likely wouldn't be able to go.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jpi

Talked it over with Steph, I am a "maybe" for now but that may change to going :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

codyg1985

I have been really terrible about updating this thread.

The meet lunch has been relocated to Wintzell's Oyster House in Guntersville (14455 Us Highway 431, Guntersville, Alabama 35976) at 11 AM. I have also created a map showing the route of the tour and the stops which be found here.

I will be creating a formal itinerary soon.
Cody Goodman

jpi

That's ok, Steph and I are still plannign on beeing there, will be getting into town Thursday afternoon and staying until saturday, after all it is our 13th anniversary :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cjk374

My fiance' if is from Guntersville.  We went this past March and stayed at a cabin across from the Little Mountain Marina just down the road from the state park.  On the way to the lake, we came to an intersection where the 2-lane road I was driving had the right of way instead of the 4-lane divided road it intersected!  Apparently there are no images available, but here it is:
https://www.google.com/maps/views/explore?gl=us&vm=1&ll=34.440041,-86.174408&bd=34.438601,-86.176674,34.441481,-86.172141&z=18
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

codyg1985

Quote from: cjk374 on September 23, 2014, 10:21:24 PM
My fiance' if from Guntersville.  We went this past March and stayed at a cabin across from the Little Mountain Marina just down the road from the state park.  On the way to the lake, we came to an intersection where the 2-lane road I was driving had the right of way instead of the 4-lane divided road it intersected!  Apparently there are no images available, but here it is:
https://www.google.com/maps/views/explore?gl=us&vm=1&ll=34.440041,-86.174408&bd=34.438601,-86.176674,34.441481,-86.172141&z=18

This area will be covered in the meet. it is very strange.
Cody Goodman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.