News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Historic photos of bridges of the Bay Area

Started by ZLoth, June 28, 2014, 03:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From SF Gate:

Carl Nolte: Native Son
Historic photos of bridges of the Bay Area
QuoteThe Bay Region is defined by two things: the San Francisco Bay estuary and the bridges that cross it.

The most famous is the Golden Gate, a structure so beautiful that it has become the symbol of San Francisco. The newest bridge — the eastern half of the Bay Bridge, a handsome suspension bridge with a single tower — is the most controversial because of cost overruns and construction problems.

But there are many more bridges than the big and famous ones.  They range from the Islais Creek drawbridge, which carries traffic from Third Street in San Francisco over an arm of the bay, to the Antioch Bridge, which crosses the San Joaquin River just as it flows into the upper arm of the great bay.

Here is a gallery of pictures of the Bay Area's bridges from the Chronicle archives. Some of them show construction of the bridges years ago. Some were taken in times of celebration with lights and fireworks.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

pctech

Is the "carpet of light" still on the San Mateo bridge?

ElPanaChevere

The Oakland Bay Bridge (back when it had rail lines on the lower deck, before I-80) in 1950
Interstates Clinched: 16,17,24,66,78,85,87
Been On: 4,5,8,10,12,15,20,24,25, 26,30,35,40,44,55,57,59,64,65,68,69,70,71,72,73,74(W/E),75,76(W/E),77,80,81,82,83,84(W/E),88(E),89,90,91,93,94,95,96,99

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.