News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

IDOT 66 Corridor Study

Started by Grzrd, July 22, 2014, 03:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

On July 2, IDOT posted the April 2014 Draft Purpose and Need Statement (page 18/88 of pdf; page 15 of document):

VI. 66 CORRIDOR STUDY PURPOSE AND NEED
The purpose of the 66 Corridor Study is to improve system linkage/connectivity between Paducah, Kentucky and I-55 in Missouri to:
1. Increase transportation linkage/accessibility between Paducah, Kentucky and I-55 in Missouri;
2. Increase transportation linkage/regional accessibility to urban areas, medical care and higher education;
Secondly, improving system linkage/connectivity between Paducah, Kentucky and I-55 in Missouri can:
1. Improve regional traffic safety through improved transportation linkage; and
2. Support economic development in the Study Area through improved transportation linkage.

Brandon

This is still alive!?!  :confused:  I thought I-66 through Illinois died a long time ago.  Obviously, I was wrong.

Of course, IDOT cannot let Texas even come close in the 2di interstate count, can they.  :pan:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

english si

IL isn't in the lead
39, 41, 55, 57, 64, 70, 72, 74, 80, 88, 90 is eleven
2, 10, 20, 27, 30, 35, 37, 40, 44, 45, 69 is also eleven

IL wants 66, TX wants 14 and possibly 6. While IL has low hanging fruit of numbers nearby (43, 44 and 65 end so close, but the boat has definitely sailed with 44), Texas has potential corridors and construction.

Big John

adt1982

hbelkins

I still think I-66 needs to go directly from Kentucky to Missouri and cross the Mississippi River on a new bridge, rather than crossing the Ohio River. That's what I-24 is for.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Revive 755

Quote from: english si on July 22, 2014, 04:32:56 PM
IL wants 66, TX wants 14 and possibly 6. While IL has low hanging fruit of numbers nearby (43, 44 and 65 end so close, but the boat has definitely sailed with 44), Texas has potential corridors and construction.

It might have appeared to have sailed with I-44, but that doesn't mean that in 20 years Illinois won't think of a plot to replace the McKinley Bridge with a new four lane structure, upgrade IL 3 to a freeway between the bridge and I-270, and sign I-44 over that.

I think at the very least a better route across southern Illinois is warranted; there is not a decent route between East Cape Girardeau and I-57 near Ullin.

kharvey10

There should be something closer to Cairo - at some point the bridge between IL and KY at Cairo will need some major work.  MO and KY already has a toll ferry that is more than sufficient right now as long the weather conditions are favorable.  Otherwise, upgrading IL 146 is the better bet.

codyg1985

If built, this would be an alternative route for Nashville-St. Louis traffic. I'd rather see this as a 3di of I-24 or I-55 instead of signed as I-66, but oh well.

Is Missouri on board with this?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Henry

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 28, 2014, 08:10:55 AM
If built, this would be an alternative route for Nashville-St. Louis traffic. I'd rather see this as a 3di of I-24 or I-55 instead of signed as I-66, but oh well.

Maybe and maybe not, but we all know that I-66 will go no further than Wichita, if it ever goes that far west.

And I've always thought that I-66 should go through western KY instead of crossing into IL.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

codyg1985

Quote from: Henry on July 28, 2014, 04:44:30 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on July 28, 2014, 08:10:55 AM

Maybe and maybe not, but we all know that I-66 will go no further than Wichita, if it ever goes that far west.

And I've always thought that I-66 should go through western KY instead of crossing into IL.

I always thought that was the preferred route: a bridge directly connecting KY to MO.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

mukade

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2014, 07:48:48 PM
I still think I-66 needs to go directly from Kentucky to Missouri and cross the Mississippi River on a new bridge, rather than crossing the Ohio River. That's what I-24 is for.

Is "needs" the right word? If I read the KYTC AADT right, US 51/US 60/US 62 carries 4711 vehicles a day just north of Wickliffe.

hbelkins

I'd say most all of that traffic crosses the Mississippi and goes west on US 60. A new I-66 would mean they could ban trucks off those two bridges and probably get some more life out of them.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 41

I agree. I think I-66 should go to Sikeston. Then Missouri could maybe upgrade US 60 to Springfield and make it part of 66. Even if they didn't upgrade US 60 at least it would connect to a major east-west route in southern Missouri.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Revive 755

Illinois is trying to make amends for screwing up the routing of I-24 back when I-24 was supposed to end at I-55 near Scott City?  (The old newspaper articles are linked elsewhere in the forum).

iBallasticwolf2

Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.