News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Who lives the closest to a numbered highway?

Started by bugo, August 12, 2014, 03:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

For another few days, I will have an address on a 4-lane stretch of US 20 with my house under 100 feet from the road. It gets LOUD. Starting next week, I'll be a few hundred feet from a state route (and ~10 feet from an old alignment).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

mgk920

I'm about four blocks from WI 47 here in Appleton.  I'm also about a block from the Oneida Skyline Bridge (Fox River), which is an un-numbered 'secret' state highway (it and Oneida St to the south to US 10/WI 441 is owned/maintained by WisDOT).

Mike

Urban Prairie Schooner

My current home is approximately 1420 feet from the outer shoulder of I-12 at its closest approach.

My previous residence was ~250 feet from the edge of I-110. Thanks to concrete construction of the building, the traffic noise was noticeable, but not much of a bother.

froggie

QuoteI'm about 300-400 feet laterally and 120 feet vertically from US 1 south of Alexandria.

I had roughly similar dimensions from 2008-2012.  My street address was officially Richmond Hwy (US 1).

Then I moved on the opposite side of my building from US 58 in Norfolk.  Now I'm over 2.5 miles from the nearest paved road, let alone a numbered route...

Duke87

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on August 12, 2014, 03:59:43 PM
Define numbered highway.

Likewise. The front of my building is the outer edge of the sidewalk for a numbered street. Of course, a lot of people in New York City can say that. :-D

If we insist it be a numbered route and don't count numbered streets, the closest one of those is about 3000 feet from my front door. No, I am not saying which one publicly on the internet.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

The High Plains Traveler

I live 1200 feet from U.S. 50, which is a four-lane, 65 mph expressway in my area. It's not a major through truck route, so I'm generally able to tune the traffic noise out. On those few below-zero (F) mornings we have in the winter, the sound is intensified so that it sounds like traffic is coming through my driveway.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

countysigns

About 400 feet from Interstate 75's northbound lanes in North Toledo.

DandyDan

I live a block or so away from Nebraska State Highway 370, at least for now (I may get a new apartment soon).

FWIW, my dad lived in a house on US 75 in Luverne, Minnesota in the 60's.  He then moved to an apartment which was on what is now old US 16 there (but I don't know if it was still US 16 then).  Of course, that's where my mom lived and the rest is history.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

ctsignguy

I live a half mile away from US 62-Ohio 3....just over a mile away from I-71 and an interchange there....and about the same distance from I-270 (no interchange)
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

froggie

QuoteHe then moved to an apartment which was on what is now old US 16 there (but I don't know if it was still US 16 then).

Would have been US 16 until ca. 1967.  West of US 75 then became MN 17 until ca. 1980.

PurdueBill

Until I was 6 years old I lived on MA 145 (aka Pleasant St.); at different times I lived in buildings surrounded by IN 26 (including fronting it on two streets as 26 turned) and by DE 273 (and then Business DE 2), that is, in buildings between the streets making up the pair of one-ways.

I now live 1000 feet or so from the nearest numbered state route, which seems far away compared to those two situations above where I had to cross a numbered route to get to the rest of the universe!  :P

bzakharin

I've lived directly on the following NJ county routes:
510, 617 (Morris), 627 (Camden), 657 (Middlesex)
The closest I've lived to an interstate is 0.6 miles (287), 560 feet from a US Route (202), 680 feet from a state route (27 and 41, not at the same time), 0.2 miles from a freeway (Garden State Parkway)

CNGL-Leudimin

200 feet off (old, but Google Maps still marks it anyway) N-330. In this side of the pond when a route enter a city it turns city-controlled, effectively breaking a route.

PS: The closest route in the USA to me is Alt US 1 in ME accross the border from Grand Falls NB, Canada: 3,229 miles.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

JCinSummerfield

Not as close as some of you.  I'm 2¾ miles west of US-23, and about 5 miles south of M-50 in Monroe Co, MI

hbelkins

My driveway is about 500 feet long and connects directly to a two-digit Kentucky state highway. My property is at the corner of said two-digit Kentucky state highway and a three-digit state highway.

In previous residences, I've had KY 11 run through my backyard and have lived about one block from KY 1927 and a block and a half from KY 627 (former US 227).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

Quote from: hbelkins on August 13, 2014, 02:42:01 PM
In [a] previous residence, I've had KY 11 run through my backyard

Literally?  As in, your backyard consisted of land on both sides of KY 11?  Or was your backyard simply adjacent to KY 11?

I'm starting to tire of hearing about highways going through people's yards when they are merely adjacent (or even just close-ish), and I hope this idiom goes out of style.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: vtk on August 13, 2014, 04:12:58 PM

Literally?  As in, your backyard consisted of land on both sides of KY 11?  Or was your backyard simply adjacent to KY 11?

I'm starting to tire of hearing about highways going through people's yards when they are merely adjacent (or even just close-ish), and I hope this idiom goes out of style.

Interstate 93 runs through my linen closet, and the southbound HOV lane runs through my left pant leg.

Rainking75

Used to have a house in Greenfield, MA with property that abutted to the southbound lanes of I-91. Probably 500-600 feet but fortunately very wooded so traffic noise wasn't an issue.

KEVIN_224

CT Route 71A ran right past the east side of my house...until the state truncated it a few blocks south at Buell Street, getting closer to the Berlin town line.

Also, my former residence in Old Orchard Beach, ME was along Saco Avenue, a.k.a. ME Route 5.

hbelkins

Quote from: vtk on August 13, 2014, 04:12:58 PM

Actually, there is a narrow piece of property owned by someone else between my property and the slope of the fill for that portion of KY 11.

QuoteI'm starting to tire of hearing about highways going through people's yards when they are merely adjacent (or even just close-ish), and I hope this idiom goes out of style.

Don't we have a thread somewhere for pedantic comments?  :)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bruce

I am 1500 feet from exit 206 on I-5, which is with WA-531.

roadman65

I live 2/10 mile from US 17, 92, and 441 in Orlando.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

citrus

The distance from my back window to the edge of the nearest freeway is about 40 feet.
It's the Central Freeway in SF, but it's the portion that's unnumbered! There's also a soundwall and I've got pretty thick windows and walls... so it's not particularly bothersome, even though where I am (3rd floor) is about the same level as traffic.

Eth

I'm a little under 600 feet from a Georgia state route and just under 1/3 of a mile from a US highway.

When I lived on campus as a student at Georgia Tech, my window was about 30 feet (horizontally) from the shoulder of southbound I-75/I-85. Had a pretty nice view looking south toward downtown.

national highway 1

I live 500m (1640 ft) away from route A28 (Pennant Hills Rd/Cumberland Hwy)
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.