News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I hate this song!

Started by allniter89, October 05, 2014, 03:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

I'm in my late 60's, but still find some post-'86 stuff very musically intriguing.  Grunge rock is particularly noteworthy; I have most of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Psychedelic Furs, Candlebox, etc. in my collection (LP when I can lay my hands on them, CD otherwise).  Also like Metallica (to the point, and well-recorded).  Otherwise, much of my collection is classic ('64-'85) rock (disco notably excluded except for Donna Summer!).  Curiously, my daughter got me into listening to Outkast and Korn in the early '90's -- gotta cherry-pick the material, but still listenable! 

What I generally abhor:  Starship after Paul Kantner left and took the "Jefferson" with him (pablum rock: "We Built This City" is one of the shittiest compositions ever foisted on an audience), later Journey (post "Escape"), and generally re-generations of previously outstanding groups.  Speaking of Jefferson Airplane and co-conspirators, that's one group that sounds better with remixes & reissues than the original vinyl (due to the godawful RCA "Dynagroove" LP's of the 60's/70's).  GF got me a 180-gram remix of "Crown of Creation" last Xmas -- pristine compared to the original; there's not another album that captures the 1968 mood as well as that one!  Peace be with you, man!

thenetwork

Just as I finally got Imagine Dragons "I Bet My Life On You", out of my head,  I just heard Sirius/Xm's Flatliners Channel..., er The Pulse starting to play another artists rendition of that song. 

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: cjk374 on October 05, 2014, 12:27:08 PM
Anything by Taylor Swift because Taylor Swift.  Her newest song meant to officially change her genre from country to Top 40 is most unpleasant to my eardrums.

Most of anything my 16 yr old listens to (Top 40, dubstep  X-( ) is horrible.

Classic rock is my preferred choice of music, but there are some songs that if they were never played again, I wouldn't miss them at all:

Quote from: roadman65 on October 05, 2014, 10:02:37 AM
Manfred Mann's Blinded By The Light - So weary of that particular song as it has been played for over 35 years constantly.

Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody-  I hate the the choir type of operatic verses in the song, plus if you listen to the lyrics it is about giving up on life and not wanting to live. Not even a Rock Song although it may be classified as one.

Most definitely!

Quote from: Laura on October 05, 2014, 09:26:03 AM
Pretty much everything by John Cougar Mellencamp. I have to be in just the right mood to tolerate his music, and those moods are very, very rare.

He is one of my favorites.

"C'mon Baby Light My Fire" by The Doors, & any other song that uses the kyboard synthesizer extensively automatically makes me change the station fast!   :ded:

Everytime I listen to Taylor Swift my ears start to bleed.  :ded:       
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

mgk920

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 03, 2017, 08:09:33 PM
Quote from: roadgeek01 on May 03, 2017, 04:52:48 PM
QuoteHow old are you?

Quite young, actually. Not saying how old due to privacy.   I was raised with a love of old music via my parents.   :bigass:
I mean, there are TONS of songs from 1986-present.

Kind of strange, I suppose, but I'd agree - especially with the non-rap 'Indie' stuff from the past ten years or so.  There are many very strong 1980s influences in a lot of it.

:cool:

Mike

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on May 03, 2017, 09:44:41 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on October 05, 2014, 12:27:08 PM
Anything by Taylor Swift because Taylor Swift.  Her newest song meant to officially change her genre from country to Top 40 is most unpleasant to my eardrums.

Most of anything my 16 yr old listens to (Top 40, dubstep  X-( ) is horrible.

Classic rock is my preferred choice of music, but there are some songs that if they were never played again, I wouldn't miss them at all:

Quote from: roadman65 on October 05, 2014, 10:02:37 AM
Manfred Mann's Blinded By The Light - So weary of that particular song as it has been played for over 35 years constantly.

Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody-  I hate the the choir type of operatic verses in the song, plus if you listen to the lyrics it is about giving up on life and not wanting to live. Not even a Rock Song although it may be classified as one.

Most definitely!

Quote from: Laura on October 05, 2014, 09:26:03 AM
Pretty much everything by John Cougar Mellencamp. I have to be in just the right mood to tolerate his music, and those moods are very, very rare.

He is one of my favorites.

"C'mon Baby Light My Fire" by The Doors, & any other song that uses the kyboard synthesizer extensively automatically makes me change the station fast!   :ded:

This thread is basically a list of my favorite songs and singers! :-( :banghead: :angry: :confused:  :ded: :confused:
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MikeSantNY78

"Nikita" by Elton John - played in my mind through the roughest days in college.  Kept getting me more depressed...

dave069

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on May 03, 2017, 09:44:41 PM

I have the same reaction, mostly because of her 1989 album.

bugo

Tool uses unusual time signatures in many of their songs.  A lot of them have multiple time signatures in the same song.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bugo on May 31, 2017, 08:52:43 AM
Tool uses unusual time signatures in many of their songs.  A lot of them have multiple time signatures in the same song.

Why don't you like that?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

bugo

Quote from: 1 on May 31, 2017, 08:53:30 AM

Why don't you like that?

I do like it. Somebody mentioned odd time signatures earlier in the thread and I mentioned that they use them all the time.

7/8

On the topic of odd time signatures, "The Tallest Man, the Broadest Shoulders (Part I: The Great Frontier — Part II: Come to Me Only with Playthings Now)" by Sufjan Stevens alternates between 4/4 and 5/4 time.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: bugo on May 31, 2017, 09:01:30 AM

Why don't you like that?

I do like it. Somebody mentioned odd time signatures earlier in the thread and I mentioned that they use them all the time.

So did The Grateful Dead.  They had songs in 7/4, 11/4, 10/8, and 12/8.  The first part of Rush's Cygnus X-1 is 3/4, 7/8, back to 3/4, and 4/4.  By-Tor and the Snow Dog has a section called 7/4 War Furor based on time signature
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman65

I always hated the Outfield's Your Love only because it sounded like the band's other hit at the time Say It Isn't So that I really liked and of course it is not.  I mean that I thought it was a tease because for some reason after a few of the lines of the song you want the band to go into the chorus for Say It Isn't So.

I guess it could be almost like Jewel's You Were Meant For Me and Who Will Save Your Soul with similar music, but only on a smaller scale.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

One of my Facebook friends posted a line from "Instant Karma" on his feed. That reminds me that I hate both that song and "Imagine."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: bugo on May 31, 2017, 09:01:30 AM

Why don't you like that?

It was probably me  :sombrero: Tool definitely messes with time signatures a lot.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

thenetwork

Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" and "Candle In The Wind".  I much prefer Elton's wild glasses/platform shoe-era music library the most.

Alps

Uptown Funk. I will literally kill you for mentioning it.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Alps on June 21, 2017, 12:34:36 AM
But you mentioned it, does that mean you have to kill yourself?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 21, 2017, 01:04:59 AM

If you don't believe him, just watch
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

74/171FAN

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 21, 2017, 01:10:20 AM

What about "24k Magic" and "That's What I Like"?  Oddly I do not like the latter but I feel alone in that.  I do not hate it though.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

peperodriguez2710

Well, you're lucky to have that songs as terrible... I don't like them either, but they are way better than the music that now is trendy in Spain: reggaeton (Songs made usually in South American countries, with repetitive and catchy melodies and crappy lyrics that could be written by eight year-olds, often saying nothing except partying, alcohol and treating women as objects. And sometimes they don't even bother to at least make them rhyme! They say the genre derives from reggae, though I doubt it, reggae is way better than that) They're all the time in the radio, TV and social networks and every new song is even worse than the previous. I like lots of different kinds of music (I can jump from Debussy to Rage Against the Machine) but that's the only one I can't deal with, not because of the melody (which is usually bad but bearable); but for the badly done, sexist lyrics.

Here are two of them I particularly dislike:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I65fNx-iMDo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkx-7fsiWgg

kurumi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 21, 2017, 06:48:13 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 21, 2017, 01:10:20 AM

What about "24k Magic" and "That's What I Like"?  Oddly I do not like the latter but I feel alone in that.  I do not hate it though.

You might like the mashup with Caravan Palace and a cat cartoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eazA5HGNAgg
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Roadgeekteen

his hit, that ice cold
Michelle Pfeiffer, that white gold
This one for them hood girls
Them good girls straight masterpieces
Stylin', whilen, livin' it up in the city
Got Chucks on with Saint Laurent
Got kiss myself, I'm so pretty
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Called a police and a fireman
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Make a dragon wanna retire man
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Say my name you know who I am
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Am I bad 'bout that money, break it down
Girls hit your hallelujah (whoo)
'Cause uptown funk gon' give it to you
Saturday night and we in the spot
Don't believe me just watch (come on)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 04, 2021, 10:23:55 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 22, 2017, 12:27:55 PM
Soft rock is boring :sleep:.
I like some soft rock now.

Soft rock: chalk
Hard rock: diamond
Heavy metal: lead
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.