Interstate 5 New HOV Carpool Lanes - Southern Orange County

Started by andy3175, October 27, 2014, 12:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy3175

For those of us who have long waited for Southern Orange County I-5 HOV/carpool lanes to be added along with improvements to the Avenida Pico interchange, construction is on the near horizon:

http://www.octa.net/Freeways-and-Streets/Santa-Ana-Freeway-(I-5)/Avenida-Pico-to-San-Juan-Creek-Road/

QuoteThis 5.7-mile project extends from Avenida Pico in San Clemente to San Juan Creek Road in San Juan Capistrano. The four-year, $249 million project will:

- Add a carpool lane in both directions on I-5 between Avenida Pico and San Juan Creek Road
- Improve the sight distance on the southbound horizontal curve north of PCH
- Reconstruct the interchange at Avenida Pico, including widening the northbound Avenida Pico on-ramp to three lanes, and provide dual left-turn lanes to both northbound and southbound Avenida Pico on-ramps
- Add soundwalls where needed

Construction is planned from 2015 to 2017.

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

sdmichael

Construction has already begun. I-5 now has modified lanes from Avenida Pico north to State 1 where the HOV lanes currently end. I took the 5 earlier in the week up to Los Angeles.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: andy3175 on October 27, 2014, 12:00:44 AM
For those of us who have long waited for Southern Orange County I-5 HOV/carpool lanes to be added along with improvements to the Avenida Pico interchange, construction is on the near horizon:

http://www.octa.net/Freeways-and-Streets/Santa-Ana-Freeway-(I-5)/Avenida-Pico-to-San-Juan-Creek-Road/

OCTA can't even get the name of the freeway correct in its document filename.  Sigh.

sdmichael

It is indeed the San Diego Freeway at that point. The Santa Ana Freeway ends at the El Toro Y.

Occidental Tourist

Drove the I-5 in San Clemente this weekend.  Although construction continues on the widening, most of the new BGS's and sign gantries have been installed.   Surprisingly, most of the signs appear to have done in Series D.  I'll try to find some pics.

The Ghostbuster

Will these new carpool lanes ever become Express Toll Lanes or HOT Lanes?

jeffe

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on November 13, 2016, 08:46:48 PM
Surprisingly, most of the signs appear to have done in Series D.  I'll try to find some pics.

The signs do appear to have Series D lettering.  I'm not sure if this was done to allow for full size exit tabs.

The plans were designed by a contractor, AECOM, for OCTA, so that may account for the design difference.

jrouse

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 15, 2016, 05:49:25 PM
Will these new carpool lanes ever become Express Toll Lanes or HOT Lanes?

Possibly.  Check this site out:  http://www.ocmanagedlanes.org/

I see the final study isn't posted yet but it should be soon.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.