This map shows which states produce the most NBA players

Started by bing101, November 12, 2014, 05:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on November 12, 2014, 05:48:53 PM
Quote from: bing101 on November 12, 2014, 05:33:01 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/11/12/7202561/nba-birthplace-map-washington-dc-mississippi

What do you think of This?

Wow, I can see urban areas!  What a shocker!

Now for the NFL, MLS, MLB, and NHL maps.
Well, the second map is more interesting, as it corrects for population, because otherwise the first map is generic population.

Henry

QuoteThe strongest producers aren't much of a surprise: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington, D.C., and Philadelphia, with nods to Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Indianapolis, Detroit, New Orleans, the Bay Area and Seattle. These are the major population centers of the nation, so it's expected to see most players come from those areas.
And yet there's no team in Seattle, for now anyway. Let's hope the wait isn't as long as L.A.'s for the NFL or Washington, DC's for MLB.

QuoteWashington is overwhelmingly black. The NBA is overwhelmingly black.
Well, duh!

QuoteVermont is the only U.S. state to never produce an NBA player.

Alaska can only claim one NBA player who was born there, Mario Chalmers. Carlos Boozer was born in Germany and Trajan Langdon was born in California. Such is the limit of using birthplace data. High school data might be more representative if so many players didn't attend prep academies in Virginia, Connecticut and Florida.

In raw numbers, California (the most populous state) leads the way with 352. New York follows with 310.

No, I'm not sure how Montana has produced nine NBA players either. It has the smallest black population in the nation (4,000 black residents for 0.67 percent of the population as of the 2010 census) and no major basketball culture as far as anyone outside Montana can tell. (For the record, all nine of the NBA players born in Montana are white. Phil Jackson is the only one in the Hall of Fame.)
Can't say I'm surprised on any of the above, either. Although I had been sure that states like ID, ME, NE, NH, ND, SD and WY (in addition to VT) had never produced any NBA players, given its current racial structure.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

Okay, not only does that first map not showing anything useful other than population, it is a bad map period.  Why overlay that information onto a relief map?  That makes it difficult to see the information one is attempting to communicate.  And it's extraneous data not relevant to the subject.

Then the per capita by state breakdown; states are too large to see any useful pattern.  This information needs to be presented per capita by county to actually find anything interesting.  Or better yet, by zip code.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hotdogPi

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 13, 2014, 03:12:52 PM
Then the per capita by state breakdown; states are too large to see any useful pattern.  This information needs to be presented per capita by county to actually find anything interesting.  Or better yet, by zip code.

By zip code? There would be a few zip codes with 1 player, and all the rest would have 0.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.