News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

College football play off bracket now set

Started by cjk374, December 07, 2014, 12:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida State
4. Ohio State

Any surprises here?  None for me.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US 41

Quote from: cjk374 on December 07, 2014, 12:44:55 PM
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida State
4. Ohio State

Yes, TCU should've gotten in before Ohio State. Ohio State lost to Virginia Tech!! I see Alabama playing Oregon and Oregon winning it all this year.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

cjk374

Quote from: US 41 on December 07, 2014, 12:57:04 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on December 07, 2014, 12:44:55 PM
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida State
4. Ohio State

Yes, TCU should've gotten in before Ohio State. Ohio State lost to Virginia Tech!! I see Alabama playing Oregon and Oregon winning it all this year.

I hope Ohio State kicks Alabama's ass all over Jerry World.   :whip: :cheers:

corco

74/171FAN

I felt bad that VT was ruining Ohio State's chances, but a 59-0 win over Wisconsin with a third string-QB is definitely enough there.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

US 41

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 07, 2014, 01:34:30 PM
I felt bad that VT was ruining Ohio State's chances, but a 59-0 win over Wisconsin with a third string-QB is definitely enough there.

Yes, but they always seem to find a way to screw over TCU. They got screwed over this year and they've gotten screwed over a couple of other times within the past 5 years. Their only loss this year was to Baylor and Baylor is way more legitimate than Virginia Tech.

corco

Quote from: US 41 on December 07, 2014, 02:15:42 PM

Yes, but they always seem to find a way to screw over TCU. They got screwed over this year and they've gotten screwed over a couple of other times within the past 5 years. Their only loss this year was to Baylor and Baylor is way more legitimate than Virginia Tech.

As an Ohio State fan, I'm bummed to see TCU get the boot as well- they're definitely a better team than Florida State, but you can't keep out an undefeated ACC champion. From the committee's comments, it seems to me like the Big 12 is on notice to find some way to have a conference championship (either by expanding or getting the NCAA to change their rules)- I feel like if TCU would have been outright conference champion, they would have been in, and that's probably the way it should be-  why should a co-conference champion (that lost to the other co-champion) be in the playoffs when a conference champion is out? 

Really though, this is a shitty, subjective system. I like that the top 4 teams get a chance to be national champion; that was a step in the right direction. Replacing the AP/Harris/computer polling combination in the BCS with an entirely subjective committee was a mistake though. They should have kept the BCS ranking system in place but just added the four team bracket.

US 41

Quote from: corco on December 07, 2014, 02:32:04 PM
Quote from: US 41 on December 07, 2014, 02:15:42 PM

As an Ohio State fan, I'm bummed to see TCU get the boot as well- they're definitely a better team than Florida State, but you can't keep out an undefeated ACC champion. From the committee's comments, it seems to me like the Big 12 is on notice to find some way to have a conference championship (either by expanding or getting the NCAA to change their rules)- I feel like if TCU would have been outright conference champion, they would have been in, and that's probably the way it should be-  why should a co-conference champion (that lost to the other co-champion) be in the playoffs when a conference champion is out? 

Really though, this is a shitty, subjective system. I like that the top 4 teams get a chance to be national champion; that was a step in the right direction. Replacing the AP/Harris/computer polling combination in the BCS with an entirely subjective committee was a mistake though. They should have kept the BCS ranking system in place but just added the four team bracket.

Yeah, there needs to be a real playoff. I think a 16 team playoff where every conference gets an automatic bid, would be the best way. The FCS does it and they even let 24 teams in. IMO 24 is a little overkill, but I think 16 is perfect.

cjk374

Why not let ALL of the conference champions (make the Big-12 have a conference championship game, the power 5 plus C-USA, Mtn. West, Sunbelt, and any of the others I missed) play each other in a bracket-style tourney using more of the bigger bowl games...Orange, Rose, Sugar, Cotton for starters...then other bowl games to complete the tournament until we get it down to the final 2 for the College National Championship?  This way, all of the conferences, no matter how big or small, have a fighting chance to play for the National Championship.

Imagine it...lets say Louisiana Tech becomes the C-USA champs.  In the past, Tech has beaten Alabama.  Univ. of LA-Monroe beat Alabama a year or 2 ago.  Upsets can happen to big schools, which would give big momentum going forward to help these small schools become the big winner.

Billy F 1988

It's impossible for a Big Sky Conference team like that of Montana or Eastern Washington play someone from the Pac-12 like that of Oregon or Nevada with what you're just proposing. I can't foresee Montana playing in this type of system. Any Power 5 team would squash the Grizzlies easily. Look at what happened when they got clobbered by Syracuse in the 2011 NCAA basketball tournament.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

cjk374

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 07, 2014, 06:22:47 PM
It's impossible for a Big Sky Conference team like that of Montana or Eastern Washington play someone from the Pac-12 like that of Oregon or Nevada with what you're just proposing. I can't foresee Montana playing in this type of system. Any Power 5 team would squash the Grizzlies easily. Look at what happened when they got clobbered by Syracuse in the 2011 NCAA basketball tournament.

I agree that most of these smaller schools wouldn't be able to beat the power 5 conferences.  But at least give them the chance to pull off the upset of the century & shake up the college football world occasionally.

US 41

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 07, 2014, 06:22:47 PM

I'm talking all FBS conferences get automatic bids. The Big Sky is an FCS conference.

nexus73

80 team Div-I.  8 conferences with 10 teams.  Top four from each conference make playoffs.  #1/#2  host #3/#4 in a round of 32 at the start.  Five rounds including title game. 

Minor bowl games never sell out.  Playoff games will.  Dump the entire bowl system.

Do the same for the next 80 teams that make up Div-II and continue down this path.  There'll be plenty of playoff football for everyone...wheee!!!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Buck87

Quote from: cjk374 on December 07, 2014, 01:06:25 PM

That game is in the Superdome. Jerry World is where the winner advances to on 1/12.

Alps

8 team playoff I think is ideal. Don't want to wear these kids out with the round of 16.
Level 1 * Automatic bid to "big 5" conference champions. No playoff necessary, but then NCAA reserve the right to select the champion based on the published rules of the conference. (This eliminates the Big 12's waffling.)
Level 2 * Automatic bid to any undefeated D1 team regardless of conference. If there are somehow more than three undefeated D1 teams that are not big 5... something. Maybe you drop the worst ranked big 5 team.
Level 3 * If applicable and a spot is available, any remaining team ranked in the top 4.

One spot would be guaranteed to a non-big 5 team. If they don't fall under Level 2, then pick the highest-ranked team remaining. The remaining spot or spots would be a debate between other highly-ranked teams and the next-highest non-big 5.

cjk374

Quote from: Buck87 on December 09, 2014, 03:13:27 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on December 07, 2014, 01:06:25 PM

That game is in the Superdome. Jerry World is where the winner advances to on 1/12.

CRAP!!!  I can't keep it straight! My bad!   :pan: :pan: :banghead: :banghead:

golden eagle

Las Vegas is predicting blowouts for both playoff games on January 1 (Alabama -9, Oregon -8.5), but I do believe underdogs Ohio State and Florida State will play harder than most people think. Oregon's fast, but they've had struggles in the past with more physical defenses. Urban Meyer usually shined in big games at Florida, but not so much at OSU. Still, he has recruited some players from SEC country, and that may help keep them in the game. Alabama will pull, however, in the second half.

US 41

Quote from: golden eagle on December 16, 2014, 03:28:29 PM
Alabama will pull, however, in the second half.

Especially since OSU is starting a 3rd string QB.

pianocello

Quote from: US 41 on December 16, 2014, 08:02:57 PM

A third string QB who managed to score 59 points on Wisconsin.

All I can say is Go Ducks, and I wish there was a way for neither team to win the Alabama-Ohio State game. If only a Big 12 team were in...
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Alps

Quote from: pianocello on December 18, 2014, 11:57:51 AM
Quote from: US 41 on December 16, 2014, 08:02:57 PM

A third string QB who managed to score 59 points on Wisconsin.

All I can say is Go Ducks, and I wish there was a way for neither team to win the Alabama-Ohio State game. If only a Big 12 team were in...
If only the Big 12 declared Baylor the conference champion.

Buck87

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.