News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's the name/number of that little freeway that connects I-88 to I-294?

Started by bugo, December 12, 2014, 03:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Does the little stretch of freeway between I-88 and I-294 in Oak Brook, Illinois (just outside of Chicago) have a name or number? It has an exit ramp headed eastbound, so it's not just a set of long ramps.

pianocello

Quote from: bugo on December 12, 2014, 03:31:18 PM
It has an exit ramp headed eastbound, so it's not just a set of long ramps.

Oh, but it is. (Street view link)

You'll notice the sign in the distance says "TO York Rd, Next Right." I haven't been on that stretch in a while, so I don't know what ISTHA will do (has done?) with the exit numbers for this ramp, but this is basically a long ramp with another ramp branching off of it.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

jprocknow

It's the pair of ramps that complete the incomplete interchange with I-294 further north.

Brandon

Does the little stretch of freeway between I-88 and I-294 in Oak Brook, Illinois (just outside of Chicago) have a name or number? It has an exit ramp headed eastbound, so it's not just a set of long ramps.

No, there is no number for it.  It is considered just a pair of ramps between I-88 and I-294.  It is now Exit 138 for I-88 eastbound.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bugo

It looks like a short freeway to me. It's longer than some interstates. Where do you draw the line between an exit ramp and a freeway?

Revive 755

Thought I've heard it referred to as "Regan Spur" or something similar before on traffic reports.

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 12, 2014, 05:06:21 PM
Thought I've heard it referred to as "Regan Spur" or something similar before on traffic reports.

I've never heard the term on WBBM.

Quote from: bugo on December 12, 2014, 05:02:08 PM
It looks like a short freeway to me. It's longer than some interstates. Where do you draw the line between an exit ramp and a freeway?

It's not considered a freeway and only has one supplementary exit from Edb I-88 to Sbd I-294 for York Road.  Hence why I consider some short freeways as no more than glorified ramps.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

dfwmapper

vtk

I opine it's a freeway, with no name or number. But on OSM I'd still probably tag it as motorway_link rather than motorway.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Stratuscaster

To me, it's always been "I-88 (formerly IL-5)."

It IS pretty much a very long set of ramps.

skluth

I'd have to find some old maps, but what is now the I-88/RR Tollway was once the East-West Toll Road to just west of Aurora. The east end split with the north half connecting with the Eisenhower Expressway and the south half connecting with the Tri-State Tollway. The Eisenhower just stopped at US 20 rather than continued around the west side of O'Hare as I-290. So it was really part of the east end of the EW Tollway. It helped separate the Illinois toll roads from the freeways. It's really not much different from the east terminus of I-270 near DC, only with toll booths.

Brandon

Quote from: Stratuscaster on December 12, 2014, 11:25:06 PM
To me, it's always been "I-88 (formerly IL-5)."

It IS pretty much a very long set of ramps.

Even ISTHA considers them merely a long set of ramps.  There are no mileposts of any kind what-so-ever on them.

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Jericho That

Like others have said, they're ramps.  The Tollway calls them Mary (NB I-294 to WB I-88) and Nora (EB I-88 to SB I-294) ramps. Together, they are sometimes called the Tri-State Connector.

thenetwork

Quote from: pianocello on December 12, 2014, 03:42:16 PM
It has an exit ramp headed eastbound, so it's not just a set of long ramps.

Oh, but it is. (Street view link)

For a fairly new Clearview sign, that I-294 South sign lost it's yellow pretty darn quick!

bugo

It might function as a pair of ramps but it looks like a freeway. If it looks like a fish, smells like a fish, and lives in the water, it's probably a fish.

It's like that short stretch of road that connects I-676 to I-95 in Philadelphia. It might function as a pair of ramps, but it is a continuation of the freeway that I-676 follows.

NE2

There's no way to define the line between freeway and ramps. This looks like a freeway but is just a pair of ramps. This looks like a bunch of ramps but has its own number.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DevalDragon

You can tell in the winter months that it's just a ramp and nobody pays attention to them.

They are always the last to get plowed and the most treacherous part of my Downers Grove - Homewood commute. The State Police know it though and run speed traps from time to time.

mrsman

Quote from: Jericho That on December 16, 2014, 08:05:51 AM
Like others have said, they're ramps.  The Tollway calls them Mary (NB I-294 to WB I-88) and Nora (EB I-88 to SB I-294) ramps. Together, they are sometimes called the Tri-State Connector.

Where do those names come from?

PColumbus73

They are a set of ramps, the only reason they are being misconstrued as a freeway is the fact they are two lanes wide each.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: PColumbus73 on December 25, 2014, 03:14:00 AM
They are a set of ramps, the only reason they are being misconstrued as a freeway is the fact they are two lanes wide each.

That, and because they're a mile or so long.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ARMOURERERIC

I thought they were called "The Elizabeth Borden Memorial Cutoff"

PColumbus73

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 25, 2014, 03:34:36 AM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on December 25, 2014, 03:14:00 AM

That, and because they're a mile or so long.

The ramps from I-295 to I-95 north of Richmond are about a mile long

Jardine

A mile long would make them longer than I-480, and I-129 in Iowa.

PColumbus73

Quote from: Jardine on December 25, 2014, 05:32:31 PM
A mile long would make them longer than I-480, and I-129 in Iowa.

Both routes are at least 2 miles long, that's like comparing I-70 through West Virginia to all of I-97.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.