News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2015 Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Road Meet - March 2015

Started by Roadgeek Adam, December 28, 2014, 01:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

2015 Scranton Wilkes-Barre Road Meet

Date & Time: March 21, 2015, 11 am

Location: Pittston Diner, 335 Laurel Street, Pittston, Pennsylvania 18640
(570) 655-9773

Well, people know I've been talking about this plan since mid-October, but with the dates quickly filling up, it's time I start a separate threads. Usually (in 2011, 2012 and 2013) I host meets in the third weekend of March, which is March 21 this year. However, with interest in making sure, I have left the idea of March 28 open as well. I will let consensus decide, but I am leaning to March 21, my usual weekend. April 5 is Easter, so it cannot be pushed further.

As for the restaurant, I was looking through numerous breweries in the area, and after much checking, I have gone ahead and chosen the Pittston Diner on Route 11 in Pittston, Pennsylvania.

Some of the involved itinerary is visiting the various expressways in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area (such as the North and South Cross Valley Expressways, the Scranton Expressway, etc.), the reconstruction of exit 178 on Interstate 81 (not far from the restaurant). We will tour some bridges in the area, such as the Harrison Avenue Bridge in Scranton and the Water Street Bridge in Pittston. We also go visit the grand arch of the area (the bridge over US 11 in Clarks Summit for Interstate 476 (the Northeast Extension)). For those who like clinching roads and counties, we will also be getting a lot of roads in the area, as well as traversing two counties. On the way back to the restaurant, we will double clinch PA 415 (SR 0415 and SR 1415) at Harveys Lake.

I have had pretty general interest in this meet, and as far as records go back, there has not been a meet in the Scranton area, and it is time to change that. I didn't host a meet in 2014 after doing so for four of the previous five years, so time to host one again.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

dgolub

Count me in as long as I can make the transportation work out.

hbelkins

I thought there was a Scranton meet back when the I-81/I-84/US 6 interchange was being rebuilt.

At any rate, unless Fort Knox blows up and the gold lands in my yard, it's 99.99 percent doubtful.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

I don't see why I wouldn't be there.  Looks like I'll have a very busy March (depending on when Baltimore and my cousin's birthday party fall, I could have roadtrips three weekends in a row).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

signalman

I've always wanted to attend a meet.  This is definitely doable for me, and I don't see any reason why I couldn't attend.

SSOWorld

Like with Denver, I'm starting at 50/50 and expecting not likely.  Lots ot $$$ went into trips in 2014 and that needs to go down.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Laura

As of right now, I should have no problem attending this meet. Either date works for me.

PHLBOS

Depending on my schedule (as well as weather, March can still get snowy); I might be able to attend this meet.  It's close enough to me to make it a day-trip.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

A.J. Bertin

I'd like to go because I've always wanted to attend a Pennsylvania meet. Part of me is saying to not worry about the money and just do it, but part of me thinks I shouldn't go because I have a lot of other trips planned for 2015. Right now I'm giving myself a 40 percent chance of going. We will see. I'm torn about this.
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

As much as I would love to go to this since it is only 2 hours away from where I grew up, I highly doubt it since I will be at a BIG mattel sponsered diecast car convention in Lexington, KY the next weekend and Steph and I will be in central PA for our nephews wedding and Steel City Con around the 2nd week of April.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Duke87

This close to home, I can't not go, especially since it is an excuse to go to Sheetz. So there I shall be.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Bitmapped

I'm a maybe.  If I go to Baltimore, I won't come to this one, and then it will depend on my schedule and being able to arrange lodging with my sister in State College.

cu2010

Maybe. Depends on finances. I'm due for a vacation sometime around then; it'd be easy enough to work around this.

Would also be a convenient excuse to try to clinch some roads in the Southern Tier region that I don't get down to often. :)
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Roadgeek Adam

Here is the first draft of the meet guide for those who want to know what we're doing.

Adam Seth Moss

Pete from Boston

I would recommend any transportation enthusiast in Scranton visit Steamtown, the national park site at the old Lackawanna Railroad shops.  Really cool, big complex centered on (particularly anthracite) railroad history, with roundhouse full of rolling stock and more.   

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on February 09, 2015, 11:34:12 PM
Here is the first draft of the meet guide for those who want to know what we're doing.

Recommend just posting future revisions as plaintext to the FB page and/or here.

jpi

Just got reading the guide and I must say, a real shame I will miss this since I will not be in PA next month. Scranton\ Wilkes Barre area is a part fo my home state I never realy got to very much aside from working 2 weeks in nearby Frackville opening the Cracker Barrel there in the fall of 98. Hope for nice weather and safe travels for you guys! :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

I'm a definite yes on attending this. I'm excited because it will be my first Pennsylvania meet. My plan is to start the drive Thursday night from Grand Rapids MI and make it to, say, the Cleveland area that night. Friday I'll drive from Cleveland to Scranton - probably taking U.S. 6 across northern Pennsylvania. Staying in the Scranton area Friday and Saturday night and driving back home all day Sunday.

I can't wait!
-A.J. from Michigan

PHLBOS

Adam, what's the approximate duration time of this meet?  That might determine my final decision.  I have plans for that evening closer to home.

BTW, you might want to edit your OP to include the actual date (March 21) for those that don't have access to nor use FB.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 12, 2015, 12:27:46 PM
Adam, what's the approximate duration time of this meet?  That might determine my final decision.  I have plans for that evening closer to home.

BTW, you might want to edit your OP to include the actual date (March 21) for those that don't have access to nor use FB.

Latter one is done. The former is probably running till about 5 or 6.
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

I finished the meet guide last night and will bring printed copies.
Adam Seth Moss

vdeane

Any significant changes I should be aware of when planning my route to/from the meet?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

If there was any chance whatsoever of me coming to this, which there pretty much wasn't, it got obliterated by a family obligation that's now scheduled for the 21st.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: vdeane on March 04, 2015, 02:10:12 PM
Any significant changes I should be aware of when planning my route to/from the meet?

Nope. Route's still the same. I added turn-by-turn directions and cleaned up some things. However, if you want to clinch the Central Scranton, do it before or after the meet because we will not be on it, just above it and around it.
Adam Seth Moss

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.