News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: Jim on June 10, 2017, 08:33:04 AM
Quote from: cl94 on June 09, 2017, 08:02:37 PM
Region 1 got rid of an illegal option lane at I-87 Exit 19. The problem? It went to the wrong direction. Now there are backups of 1/2 mile on a daily basis when there were none. If I redid this intersection, there would have been a dual left turn, being as it typically functioned as one before.

Is the former configuration at the Exit 19 location the same situation that exists on Everett Rd, where the middle lane northbound can go straight or turn left to enter I-90 West?  Or maybe the light cycles there make it a different case?
Everett is a classic diamond, and exit19 is some flavor of parclo on that side, so they are seriously different. But that is a good point, we need to brace for Everett road exit  being screwed up pretty soon...

Buffaboy

Is it just me, or is the EZPass account website always inaccessible? Whenever I try to access my account it says "500 Internal Server Error."
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

kalvado

Quote from: Buffaboy on June 10, 2017, 11:35:04 AM
Is it just me, or is the EZPass account website always inaccessible? Whenever I try to access my account it says "500 Internal Server Error."
Just checked, https://www.e-zpassny.com/ works just fine for me....

Buffaboy

Quote from: kalvado on June 10, 2017, 12:09:01 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on June 10, 2017, 11:35:04 AM
Just checked, https://www.e-zpassny.com/ works just fine for me....

Ok never mind, the account page is working now.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

RestrictOnTheHanger

Drove past a new FYA setup on NY25A in Manhasset this evening. It's for w/b traffic turning left into the shopping center immediately east of Shelter Rock Rd. This replaces a PV signal setup that had a region 10 style doghouse (side-by-side) 

Didnt pay much attention since it was dark and traffic was moving fast.

GSV link with the old setup, the second signal in the background

SignBridge

That makes at least two FYA's on NY 25A now, the other being at NY 107.

cl94

Yeah, NYSDOT has been installing a ton of FYAs lately. Region 1 recently installed one on NY 7 at NY 142 in Brunswick. A bunch will be going up in Region 5 within the next year or two as well.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on June 12, 2017, 05:48:21 PM
A bunch will be going up in Region 5 within the next year or two as well.

Where?

D-Dey65

Another issue; Palisades Interstate Parkway and the Appalachian Trail. What's with the lack of bridges?

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on June 13, 2017, 11:47:55 AM
Quote from: cl94 on June 12, 2017, 05:48:21 PM
A bunch will be going up in Region 5 within the next year or two as well.

Where?

Walden at Galleria Drive, NY 130 at NY 240 and NY 277, NY 78 at Tonawanda Creek Rd, among others.
Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 13, 2017, 01:05:45 PM
Another issue; Palisades Interstate Parkway and the Appalachian Trail. What's with the lack of bridges?

My guess here is that, like the other parkways, it wasn't expected to be a major thoroughfare when the thing was built. Why they haven't since built overpasses is beyond me.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

seicer

Looks like a significant chunk of the original concrete pavement on the Palisades is set to be asphalted. It received extensive concrete repairs earlier this year. It's rough and loud, and I'm looking forward to a new surface.

mariethefoxy

Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on June 12, 2017, 01:12:16 AM
Drove past a new FYA setup on NY25A in Manhasset this evening. It's for w/b traffic turning left into the shopping center immediately east of Shelter Rock Rd. This replaces a PV signal setup that had a region 10 style doghouse (side-by-side) 

is the replacement of the PV style?

RestrictOnTheHanger

Quote from: mariethefoxy on June 20, 2017, 09:03:08 PM
Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on June 12, 2017, 01:12:16 AM

is the replacement of the PV style?

Looked like regular signals with the reflective yellow tape, but again it was dark out.

Also while we are on the subject of FYAs, this intersection on Jericho Turnpike just west of Brush Hollow Rd has replacement signals bagged and waiting to go into service, which probably include FYAs for left turns from Jericho Tpk

cl94

Couple of washouts on NY 7 in Hoosick from last weekend's storms. Down to 1 lane in two locations. Not a safe place to park and get a picture, but temporary signals have been installed. Given that NYSDOT blacked out and installed temporary markings, this will probably end up being a medium- to long-term partial closure.

froggie

^ I've seen such temporary markings done for projects as short as a week-and-a-half.

Buffaboy

I don't know if it's just me, but I've been seeing a lot of local street blades being replaced throughout the Buffalo area, going from all caps to sentence case, and changing fonts. Even the few signs in my neighborhood that have been there for almost 20 years were recently replaced. I like them a lot.

What prompted this switch, if anyone knows?

froggie

Mixed case is an MUTCD requirement.  Not sure about the font switch.

It also could be because of visibility/reflectiveness.  If the older signs weren't reflective (or reflective enough), I believe there's an MUTCD requirement for that as well.

D-Dey65

As I mentioned in this post (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20130.msg2224275#msg2224275), when I was a little kid just entering school, I got so upset about the prospect of never seeing the roads of Upstate New York again, that I started crying on the school bus. Well, four years later when I finally got the chance to see it again, and yes the Sprain Brook Parkway was one of them. But at that time it ended at the Cross Westchester Expressway with the unfinished southbound lane and eastbound off-ramp, and all northbound traffic being forced to make a left turn into the westbound off-ramp, otherwise you'd drive straight into a mountain. I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that stub. I keep thinking it had a big road closed sign or something like that blocking it too.

Also, I almost posted this on the NYSDOT photolog thread, but I changed my mind.

MikeCL

Quote from: seicer on June 13, 2017, 11:26:13 PM
Looks like a significant chunk of the original concrete pavement on the Palisades is set to be asphalted. It received extensive concrete repairs earlier this year. It's rough and loud, and I'm looking forward to a new surface.
I was wondering from what I can remember the section of 95 from the CT to NYS how long was it concrete? I know it's paved now but to me I remember it lasting a long time before any repairs needed to be done

mariethefoxy

a few years ago they did something to the pavement, cut grooves in it and it doesnt have that loud concrete pavement sound anymore.

SignBridge

Yeah, that concrete pavement on the New England Thruway part of I-95 in Westchester is very weird looking. Seems to me it's been that way since they rebuilt it some years ago.

Buffaboy

NY 5 bridge crossing the canal in Buffalo, in 1973. I wonder why that bridge was destroyed. It was built in 1960 (and was probably great to drive over)...

seicer

Some notes from driving around New York in the past month:

• There is some serious Corten (the steel that rusts) guardrail rot along NY 8 in the Adirondacks region, with entire sections and supports rusted apart. I know other states use Corten extensively as guardrails and have not seen this much rot - is it from a bad batch of steel? And speaking of that - there is a lot of inconsistency in the application of Corten and regular guardrails, with a mixture of both on many scenic roadways.
  • I-88's rehab in the Binghamton area is underway, with extensive sections of the concrete pavement being removed and replaced with rough asphalt patches. Further north, more of I-88's concrete pavement is being extensively patched with asphalt, especially where the joints are deteriorating from salt usage.
  • What is with NY 17's lengthy 55 MPH speed limit east of Binghamton? It's understandable where there is intersections but much of the route east towards the Thruway is unreasonably slow. There are some substandard interchanges - but nothing out of the ordinary.

froggie

^ For some of that last one, probably because there's a section between Deposit and Hancock that is still at-grade, and New York doesn't allow speed limits above 55 on non-freeways.

cl94

Most of that 55 section is due to terrain and geometry.  NY 17 through the Catskills is probably the craziest non-parkway road in the northeast excluding the PA Turnpike. It simply isn't safe to have a higher limit with many of those curves.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.