News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Largest municipalities/incorporated places without a state highway/road/route?

Started by geocachingpirate, March 10, 2015, 06:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

Quote from: mgk920 on August 08, 2017, 11:02:51 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on August 07, 2017, 09:37:21 PM
New Berlin WI pop 40,000 just has barely one WI-59 clips the very NW corner of the city. WI-24 once served it but even then only the very SE corner. Many of the main roads aren't even county highways. That is the closest that comes to mid for a larger city in Wisconsin without a state highway.

Isn't the entire length of WI 59's (Greenfield Ave) eastbound side in New Berlin?

Mike
Most of Greenfield runs along the border with Brookfield Only the very western most mile west of Barker/ Johnson runs entirely within New Berlin as it dips a little farther south. Brookfield still has Capitol Dr WI-190 that runs through that city on both sides for it's whole length. Now if you go back to the early 70's County Hwy ES aka National Ave was the old WI-15 until the freeway was built which is now I-43. Although I am thinking Burlington population around 10,000 may now take the cake as to not having any state highway. Around 2010 all the state highways were removed within the city and rerouted onto the bypass which I think runs all out of the city limits.

dvferyance

Quote from: TEG24601 on March 22, 2015, 04:23:07 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 22, 2015, 03:35:34 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on March 22, 2015, 09:29:25 AM
Ok people

If Interstates and U.S. Routes don't count - Rochester, MN Wins!

But I'm considering US and Interstate routes part of the state's highway system, so good luck finding an incorporated place not on a highway.

This. How anyone can argue that Interstates and US routes don't count is silly in my view.

They are all routes... maintained by the state or a state designated entity.

Now, Indiana could cause some consternation, what with IDOT's idiotic removal of State Roads from within city limits with bypass routes, you might find an independent suburb of Indianapolis, Ft. Wayne, or Lafayette that would count.

Speedway, IN may come close, since no State Road, US Route, or Interstate enters the city, but I-465 and I-74 meet at the edge of the city limits.
Greenwood comes to mind. I believe it is only served by I-65 and US-31. IN-37 is too far west.

WillWeaverRVA

I think there are a few small incorporated towns on the Eastern Shore of Virginia that don't have any primary routes serving them (I know of Saxis and Hallwood), but I can't think of any on the mainland.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

formulanone

Every US Route and Interstate highway is a state road in Florida. There might be some larger CDPs, villages, or municipalities I've missed which are aligned with, but do not "cross over" a state-maintained road, but I don't count those. Many seem to border it, and then have a tiny bit of it annexed, for whatever reason.

Marco Island, Florida has 13,300 residents, but no state-maintained roads within its borders. In November 2004, FL 951 was turned over to the city, according to FDOT's straight-line diagram. Technically, SR 951 approaches right up to the city limits. CR 92 was FL 92, but was probably decommissioned in the 1970's SHS turnback.

Fellsmere has 5,330 residents...but somehow, uninhabited areas align themselves right up against I-95. Depends on how picky you want to be with that one.

Atlantis, which is basically a country club with about 2,050 residents, is a city and a medical center, surrounded by CR 809 (downgraded FL 809) and CR 812. It's vaguely one mile to FL 802, maybe two miles to I-95.

Center Hill has about 1000 residents, on two former state-secondary (now county roads) and is 2 miles from FL 471, 5 miles from FL 33.

bing101

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

tdindy88

Quote from: dvferyance on August 08, 2017, 11:16:37 AM
Ok people

But I'm considering US and Interstate routes part of the state's highway system, so good luck finding an incorporated place not on a highway.

This. How anyone can argue that Interstates and US routes don't count is silly in my view.

Now, Indiana could cause some consternation, what with IDOT's idiotic removal of State Roads from within city limits with bypass routes, you might find an independent suburb of Indianapolis, Ft. Wayne, or Lafayette that would count.

Speedway, IN may come close, since no State Road, US Route, or Interstate enters the city, but I-465 and I-74 meet at the edge of the city limits.
Greenwood comes to mind. I believe it is only served by I-65 and US-31. IN-37 is too far west.

SR 135 goes through the west side of Greenwood.

bing101

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross,_California

Ross,CA an incorporated town in Marin County has no state routes.
Broadmoor, California its entirely is surrounded by Daly City but has no state routes but it's pretty close to Ca-1 and I-280 by a few feet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadmoor,_California

Bruce

Time to revive this, since I may have found a big one.

The city of Sammamish, Washington, just east of Seattle/Bellevue, is a fairly new suburb with 51,229 people and no state highways. SR 202 runs a bit north of the city limits and I-90 is a bit further south in Issaquah.

From April to June 1992, however, SR 901 was routed along the lakeshore through Sammamish (but the city wasn't incorporated for another seven years) before being decommissioned entirely.

Washington has one other suburban city that makes the cut: University Place (32,282), located just southwest of Tacoma near the Narrows Bridge.

Max Rockatansky

Since a new thread of this variety was opened up and this thread was brought up I'll post here.  On a somewhat local level in Fresno County California the City of Reedley is not on a state highway at about 25,000 residents.  The City is served directly from CA 99 by a largely four-lane Manning Avenue.

ipeters61

Just did a check for Delaware and it appears that Bowers Beach is the largest town without a signed route, at 335 (bearing in mind that most towns in Delaware have very small populations due to the vast majority of the state being unincorporated).
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Eth

No idea if it's the largest, but the only incorporated city/town I can think of in Georgia (well, metro Atlanta, at least) without a numbered route is Pine Lake, population 730.

bing101

mgk920

Quote from: dvferyance on August 08, 2017, 11:14:18 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on August 08, 2017, 11:02:51 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on August 07, 2017, 09:37:21 PM
New Berlin WI pop 40,000 just has barely one WI-59 clips the very NW corner of the city. WI-24 once served it but even then only the very SE corner. Many of the main roads aren't even county highways. That is the closest that comes to mid for a larger city in Wisconsin without a state highway.

Isn't the entire length of WI 59's (Greenfield Ave) eastbound side in New Berlin?

Mike
Most of Greenfield runs along the border with Brookfield Only the very western most mile west of Barker/ Johnson runs entirely within New Berlin as it dips a little farther south. Brookfield still has Capitol Dr WI-190 that runs through that city on both sides for it's whole length. Now if you go back to the early 70's County Hwy ES aka National Ave was the old WI-15 until the freeway was built which is now I-43. Although I am thinking Burlington population around 10,000 may now take the cake as to not having any state highway. Around 2010 all the state highways were removed within the city and rerouted onto the bypass which I think runs all out of the city limits.

I-94 and US 18 also run through Brookfield while I-43 passes through New Berlin.

In addition, the Burlington, WI bypass does enter the City of Burlington.

Mike

bing101

Quote from: geocachingpirate on March 10, 2015, 06:58:54 PM
I live in Clemmons, NC, a village of nearly 20,000 people, and realized we don't have a NC state highway in city limits. What are other large towns without a state highway? Specifically ones in your state. 
Hopefully this hasn't been discussed before, or that it is simply a boring/bad topic.
https://goo.gl/maps/43u6CVa3yPM2

If we are going by the OP's criteria of no State routes
https://goo.gl/maps/UxeN3zCZbkz                                                                   

https://goo.gl/maps/Guoi3gYrX5k
Benicia, CA and Vacaville, CA are the largest cities halfway from Sacramento and San Francisco has no CA state routes in their city limits and is mainly accessible by Interstates I-80, I-680, I-505, and I-780.

https://goo.gl/maps/ShQSJmuvhWR2

Citrus Heights, CA has no State Routes touching its area though.

Super Mateo

Quote from: dvferyance on August 08, 2017, 11:16:37 AM
Ok people

And then there's Munster, IN, which is a suburb of Chicago, and has about 23,000 people living in it.  The only reason it doesn't qualify here is because US 6, I-80, and I-94 all clip inside the northern border for a few blocks.  The only direct connection to the rest of Munster is through the Calumet Avenue exit, which is technically in Hammond.  US 41 goes around it, through Highland.  Other than that brief half mile segment, no other routes run through Munster.

The only other one I know of around here is Flossmoor, which used to have US 54 in it.  That was removed, and no routes currently exist within its borders.

apeman33

I'm sure there must be a few in the K.C. metro area and perhaps Richie would know more about those.

There's a few decent-sized towns in south-central Kansas near Wichita that don't have any state highways going through them. Clearwater (Pop. 2,481), Valley Center (6,822), and Sedgwick (1,695) are among them. Buhler (1,327) is close to Hutchinson.

Ian

Vinalhaven (population 1,165) is the largest town in Maine without a state highway. The town is located on an island of the same name roughly 9-10 miles off the coast east of Rockland, so no road bridge to the mainland for a state route to connect to. Maine is generally good about connecting its towns with the state highway system. Minus the island communities and small plantations up in the North Woods, I can't think of any towns in the state not covered.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

US 89

The largest cities in Utah currently without a state-maintained route are Ivins and Santa Clara, with 2017 populations of 8,726 and 7,418. Both are suburbs of St. George and are some of the fastest-growing municipalities in the state.

It should be noted that Ivins had SR-300 until around 1999, and both cities are served by the old alignment of US-91 (Sunset Blvd) which is no longer state-maintained. Despite what you might see on some maps, SR-8 ends at Dixie Drive, which is still within the city limits of St George.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.