News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

RI-138 Stub

Started by Mergingtraffic, April 09, 2015, 06:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordsutch

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 04, 2015, 06:26:08 PMIt's interesting that they replaced the sign but didn't bother to either replace or remove the lights (note the lower-left bracket with no light fixture).

Sign replacement workers probably aren't qualified electricians, union rules or no. My guess is it stays up there until the gantry needs to be replaced, because there's no real point in paying an electrician to remove it in the meantime.

Alps

Quote from: lordsutch on November 05, 2015, 12:28:11 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on November 04, 2015, 06:26:08 PMIt's interesting that they replaced the sign but didn't bother to either replace or remove the lights (note the lower-left bracket with no light fixture).

Sign replacement workers probably aren't qualified electricians, union rules or no. My guess is it stays up there until the gantry needs to be replaced, because there's no real point in paying an electrician to remove it in the meantime.
If the intent was to repair or remove the lights, they would have sent the electrician with the sign crew. My guess is that they don't care, because there's no need to light fully retroreflective signs, and it would cost money to remove them. So I agree with you.

southshore720

Is there still a 138A vs. 238 identity crisis on this stretch in Newport?  The new BGS on RI 138 West shows 138A, but the BGS coming off the Newport Bridge still says 238.  I believe there are mixed 138A and 238 trailblazers spread throughout.  So which is which?  Is 238 officially dead?  RIDOT loves its anomalies!

Alps

Quote from: southshore720 on November 09, 2015, 09:25:34 PM
Is there still a 138A vs. 238 identity crisis on this stretch in Newport?  The new BGS on RI 138 West shows 138A, but the BGS coming off the Newport Bridge still says 238.  I believe there are mixed 138A and 238 trailblazers spread throughout.  So which is which?  Is 238 officially dead?  RIDOT loves its anomalies!
238 heads south from the Newport-Pell Bridge and turns onto the Goat Island Bridge. 138A begins where 238 turns and heads south around the bottom of Newport.

southshore720

Thank you for the clarification.  I just wish it were more clearer on the BGS', such as "138A TO 238" or even a "138A/238" duo.

yakra

Is there still a 138A vs. 238 identity crisis on this stretch in Newport?  The new BGS on RI 138 West shows 138A, but the BGS coming off the Newport Bridge still says 238.
GMSV from July 2012 shows 238 SOUTH / Scenic Newport. GMSV from Sept 2015 shows that panel replaced with a shieldless DOWNTOWN Newport / EXIT ONLY.

I believe there are mixed 138A and 238 trailblazers spread throughout.  So which is which?  Is 238 officially dead?  RIDOT loves its anomalies!
On the surface route, I didn't see *any* trailblazers (edit: I found this one) for either. (I haven't checked out the historical GMSV yet.)
This could be interesting. I may have to get my hands on the latest RIDOT maps and shapefiles...

Edit II: Or how about this one, which is pretty decisively not on 238 yet? Ugh.
Edit III: Oh dear God...
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Mergingtraffic

New signage on the RI-138 stub. 

these are still there:

When was the "Right Lane Exit 1/2 Mile" added and what did it cover up?

of course I miss the best one of all:
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

froggie

Do you have any photos showing anything besides the signs?  Hard to get context when all we get is a sign and maybe some sky.

PHLBOS

Quote from: froggie on June 27, 2016, 10:52:07 PM
Do you have any photos showing anything besides the signs?  Hard to get context when all we get is a sign and maybe some sky.

Location of old BGS with faded RIGHT LANE EXIT 1/2 MILE placard posted.

OLD BGS' at the northern stub (what would've been I-895)

I'm guessing that the new RI 138 BGS replaced the old one (note the broken light fixture underneath that still remains).

General location; Google erroneously calls RI 138 between the Newport Bridge & stub RI 238.  BGS' are along the 138 northbound

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.