News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Oregon bill set to tackle "left lane hogs"

Started by OCGuy81, April 28, 2015, 01:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurdueBill

Quote from: mrsman on May 01, 2015, 03:20:38 PM
All that is required is a simple sign saying "keep right except to pass"

Even if difficult to enforce, most drivers would probably get the hint and it would eliminate left lane blockers.

There is an equivalent issue on escalators in the DC area.  Metro etiquette dictates that people who don't want to walk up escalators should keep right so that those who are running to catch a train can go.  However, most tourists don't know this, and there are no signs to this effect. If there were signs, I think most people would respect them.

Not so sure.  I don't know how many airport moving walkways with "Stand Right/Walk Left" signage I have been at where you run into some people standing across the whole thing, leaning on the handrails, pretending they are riding It's A Small World or something, oblivious to the others approaching.  Once I even got to see such people bitch at the walkers that "if you want to walk, don't use the moving walkway!"  (Wait--they even acknowledged it's a WALKway, not a ride-way or something, but still refuse to move.)  Signage may not accomplish anything.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: signalman on May 03, 2015, 10:17:22 AM
Quote from: mrsman on May 03, 2015, 08:15:06 AM
Now, will it be followed? Hard to say.  NJ drivers are probably more aggressive than OR drivers and may simply ignore the sign. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried in OR.
As a NJ driver I can attest to your assumption that NJ drivers are indeed aggressive.  I can be aggressive myself when I need to be.  I have no problem passing on the right, if need be.  While two wrongs may not make a right...

Except, it's completely lawful to use any travel lane to pass (at least in NJ).  You are absolutely permitted to pass on the right.

signalman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 04, 2015, 01:31:11 PM
Except, it's completely lawful to use any travel lane to pass (at least in NJ).  You are absolutely permitted to pass on the right.
It's only legal in NJ if there are 3 or more lanes in the same direction, or if it's 4 lane undivided, one can pass on the right if there's a vehicle waiting to make a left turn.  I don't think it's legal to pass on the right if it's 4 lane divided.  In any case, I've done it before.  However, I'd be hesitant to attempt such a maneuver if a cop was around. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.