News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Historic Location Photos

Started by roadman65, June 23, 2015, 12:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

A new gallery that I would like to start to show historic signage at historic locations.

I thought it would be nice to take pictures of signs, road configurations, and other related stuff that you cannot see anymore due to major construction or changes in route alignments.

Both above are taken from Crawfordville Road in Speedway, IN before it was realigned not to default into the I-74 freeway.  Now of course both signs and the pavements under them no longer exist.

Anyone else have any historic photos please feel free to post them here.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

iBallasticwolf2

Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

SignGeek101

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but:

Centralia, Pennsylvania

PA 54 no longer runs concurrent with PA 61.

Not my pic. From a documentary.

GCrites

Oh man, both a Chevelle and a Trans Am prowling the streets.

jmd41280

This photo I took in 2008 shows the old I-279 designation on the signs for the Fort Pitt Bridge and Pittsburgh Int'l Airport, before the I-376 extension took over that part of I-279. 

Fort Duquesne Blvd. by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

wphiii

I'm fairly certain I've posted this before in one thread or another on here at some point, but I love this sign still hanging in there at the intersection of Dallas Ave at Penn Ave in Pittsburgh. I don't even know when U.S. 22/30 stopped using Penn Ave through Pittsburgh but I'd wager it hasn't even been in my lifetime.

jmd41280

Quote from: wphiii on March 21, 2016, 10:52:37 AM
I'm fairly certain I've posted this before in one thread or another on here at some point, but I love this sign still hanging in there at the intersection of Dallas Ave at Penn Ave in Pittsburgh. I don't even know when U.S. 22/30 stopped using Penn Ave through Pittsburgh but I'd wager it hasn't even been in my lifetime.

I've never noticed that sign before.  Nice find!

On a related note, here is a sign along Pangburn Hollow Rd near Monongahela, PA.  This sign points to PA Route 31, which has not been routed through Monongahela since the 1960s (PA Route 136 took over the routing at the time).

Relic by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

fdpierson

Both of these images come from the mywvhome.com Facebook page, a page that documents the history of Charleston and its surrounding areas.
If you look at their site, you should be able to find other road-related pictures there.
https://www.facebook.com/Mywvhomecom

Quote from: mywvhome.comShowing I-64s progress through South Charleston in 1971. You can just makes out the Patrick St Bridge in the lower right corner. The large bare area on the left would become Joplin Park. Open full screen.

The road isn't the focus of this picture, but the old WV state route sign is interesting regardless.
As mentioned by the quote below, this part of WV 14 now belongs to WV 214.

Quote from: mywvhome.comForgotten Grade Schools in Kanawha County: RUTH Grade School. Ruth Is just past Walmart on Corridor G on 214 at Trace Fork. This is a special post because not only do you see the school, but what it looked like before the school was installed. It appears that the Ruth School operated only between 1962 until about 1969. You will see photos of pure Americana. Front porches with tall Oak Trees, and peaceful meadows. Those photos were taken for appraisal purposes when the school board purchased the property in 1961. Open full screen. KCS photos.

froggie

That explains why today's WV route shields have a thicker border...it's along the lines of what they've done for decades...

fdpierson

Here's two more pictures from the same source. This is I-64/77 being built in Charleston alongside Piedmont Road in 1973.

Quote from: mywvhome.com

Quote from: mywvhome.com

GCrites

Was that the original alignment of Piedmont Rd. or a temporary construction one?

fdpierson

Quote from: GCrites80s on April 11, 2016, 10:01:58 PM
Was that the original alignment of Piedmont Rd. or a temporary construction one?

According to the site: "It was re routed just in this area because if you look to the left, you can see the old Piedmont Road. They needed that space to build the wall, which you can also see."

mariethefoxy

speaking of Pittsburgh theres still an ALT PA 380 sign on Fort Duquesne Blvd on the far side of the DLCC near the Hampton Inn.

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.