News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Connect NJ Rt. 55 to Cape May, lawmakers urge

Started by jeffandnicole, August 12, 2015, 10:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

http://www.nj.com/cumberland/index.ssf/2015/08/extend_route_55_from_philadelphia_to_cape_may_lawm.html#incart_river

Quote...First Legislative District lawmakers are attempting to restart dialogue about extending Route 55 to Cape May and are using traffic delays caused by an Aug. 5 construction accident on the Garden State Parkway as an example of why the project is needed.

The letter is signed by state Sen. Jeff Van Drew and Assemblyman Bob Andrzejczak and directed toward New Jersey Department of Transportation Commissioner Jaime Fox.

"This incident created a traffic nightmare, backing up vehicles on the roadway for hours, and demonstrated just how vulnerable Cape May County is in terms of motor vehicle access in and out of the county," the letter states. "If we were to encounter this type of large-scale incident again on one of our major roadways and, God forbid, need to evacuate our residents due to an oncoming storm, we could find ourselves in dire straits."...

ekt8750

That really needs to happen. Nothing worse than trying to get to one of the southern beaches and getting stuck on 47/347 cause of either an accident or a traffic light that isn't set for the volume of traffic on the road.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on August 12, 2015, 12:50:23 PM
That really needs to happen. Nothing worse than trying to get to one of the southern beaches and getting stuck on 47/347 cause of either an accident or a traffic light that isn't set for the volume of traffic on the road.

You were saying... http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/alerts_breaking/one-killed-in-crash-that-shuts-in-maurice-river-township/article_58394642-4109-11e5-bc22-f7f763481366.html

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 12, 2015, 01:25:37 PM

You were saying... http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/alerts_breaking/one-killed-in-crash-that-shuts-in-maurice-river-township/article_58394642-4109-11e5-bc22-f7f763481366.html

Good thing 347's wide enough that it won't be too big a problem...oh wait :banghead:

The Ghostbuster

Somehow, I don't think Rt. 55 will be extended anytime soon, if ever.

J Route Z

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 12, 2015, 04:13:25 PM
Never say never.

Alps

Petersburg Rd./610 is the start of Sunday summer traffic jams. NJ 83 also contributes.

Alps

I agree. Environmental issues killed it in the first place. With NJDOT funding what it is, this project would need to be largely Federally funded to have a chance - which means EPA - which means more environmental issues.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on August 12, 2015, 06:15:18 PM
I agree. Environmental issues killed it in the first place. With NJDOT funding what it is, this project would need to be largely Federally funded to have a chance - which means EPA - which means more environmental issues.

Hit the nail on the head. While the idea had a bit of a resurgence after Hurricane Katrina as there is no good way to evacuate people from Cape May County in the event of a tropical storm system, it would probably cost billions (with a B) due to the terrain. The entire path goes through salt marshes and the pine barrens, both of which are protected. It wouldn't even get to a preliminary EIS because it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that environmental effects could be catastrophic and there's a chance it would disturb the aquifer underneath it all. There's a reason why the area became a national reserve in 1978.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Zeffy

Quote from: cl94 on August 12, 2015, 10:16:43 PM
Hit the nail on the head. While the idea had a bit of a resurgence after Hurricane Katrina as there is no good way to evacuate people from Cape May County in the event of a tropical storm system, it would probably cost billions (with a B) due to the terrain. The entire path goes through salt marshes and the pine barrens, both of which are protected. It wouldn't even get to a preliminary EIS because it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that environmental effects could be catastrophic and there's a chance it would disturb the aquifer underneath it all. There's a reason why the area became a national reserve in 1978.

I'm against building through the Pine Barrens. That's a pristine natural environment that New Jersey is very well known for, and I don't want to see a highway plowed through it.

Not that New Jersey even has the money to do so anyway, so...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on August 12, 2015, 10:55:21 PM

I'm against building through the Pine Barrens. That's a pristine natural environment that New Jersey is very well known for, and I don't want to see a highway plowed through it.
TIL you've never been to the Pine Barrens.

Dougtone

Quote from: Zeffy on August 12, 2015, 10:55:21 PM

Not that New Jersey even has the money to do so anyway, so...

The Long Island Expressway and the Sunrise Highway on eastern Long Island were built through a smaller scale version of the Pine Barrens than its New Jersey counterpart.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: J Route Z on August 12, 2015, 05:10:20 PM
Never say never.

True. Instead, say "We'll talk about this every 5 years or so...then shove it aside".

There would be a better chance of straightening out 347 and widening the local road network, but NJDOT seems reluctant on even doing that.  The next 'big' thing is adding VMS signage and cameras to the corridor, which isn't going to do anything in terms of road capacity.

You have a lot of people screaming that they don't want to add a highway to the Jersey Shore, because more people would come and more commercial development will occur. EXCEPT...all of that has already happened, and no one waited for a highway before they started building.

dgolub

Quote from: Dougtone on August 13, 2015, 06:30:13 AM
The Long Island Expressway and the Sunrise Highway on eastern Long Island were built through a smaller scale version of the Pine Barrens than its New Jersey counterpart.

Yeah, and both we supposed to extend significantly further and got aborted.

cl94

Quote from: dgolub on August 13, 2015, 09:05:56 AM

And nothing else has really been built in Brookhaven and east, partially because of environmental stuff. In some ways, environmental concerns are actually more important than cost.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Dougtone

Not after a dent was made in the LI Pine Barrens. It was a different time when the roads were built, but people were only then becoming aware of the area's environmental concerns. The same types of concerns would need to be considered with the NJ Pine Barrens.

SCH-I545

02 Park Ave

Quote from: Alps on August 12, 2015, 06:15:18 PM

I think a well designed elevated highway could be built.  I'm thinking of the I-95 in South Carolina as an example.
C-o-H

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 13, 2015, 10:42:40 AM
I think a well designed elevated highway could be built.  I'm thinking of the I-95 in South Carolina as an example.
You mean something like the wetland viaducts on I-10 and I-55 in Louisana? If so it could be possible but it would still have enviremental issues. This is one of the few situations where it might be better to not build the road and instead improve existing roads.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Dougtone on August 13, 2015, 09:39:35 AM

Not after a dent was made in the LI Pine Barrens. It was a different time when the roads were built, but people were only then becoming aware of the area's environmental concerns. The same types of concerns would need to be considered with the NJ Pine Barrens.

SCH-I545

It took some time, but the widening of both the AC Expressway & Garden State Parkway was approved by the NJ Pinelands Commission.  And there has been some limited building within the Pinelands.  But overall everything is very tightly controlled.

roadman65

It will never happen.  Though, well needed as NJ 47 is already congested and, yes, a good evacuation route is needed, its just the funds and the environmental issues are stacked against the whole project.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

Even if NJ 55 does not get extended, it still would make a great I-x76, if I-76 itself were extended onto the Atlantic City Expressway and NJ 42.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman65

However a great idea that one is you would have tougher restrictions sanctioned at you if you applied for interstate status on that one.  The feds are stricter with the environment unlike the state is.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on August 13, 2015, 12:35:14 PM
However a great idea that one is you would have tougher restrictions sanctioned at you if you applied for interstate status on that one.  The feds are stricter with the environment unlike the state is.

You haven't dealt with NJ Regulations recently, have you?  If you can get NJ's DEP to approve the project, the Federal process is a piece of cake.

It doesn't really matter though.  Unless the state was going to 100% fund this project if it were to occur - which they're not going to do - then the feds would be involved anyway.

froggie

Even if there's no Federal funding involved, if there are wetland impacts, the Army Corps of Engineers would be...

mgk920

OTOH, if the case can REALLY be made . . . .

(see the MN 36/WI 64 Stillwater Bridge.)

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.