News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Connect NJ Rt. 55 to Cape May, lawmakers urge

Started by jeffandnicole, August 12, 2015, 10:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 13, 2015, 10:45:06 AM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 13, 2015, 10:42:40 AM
I think a well designed elevated highway could be built.  I'm thinking of the I-95 in South Carolina as an example.
You mean something like the wetland viaducts on I-10 and I-55 in Louisana? If so it could be possible but it would still have enviremental issues.
And how many more billions are we talking now?

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 13, 2015, 10:45:06 AMThis is one of the few situations where it might be better to not build the road and instead improve existing roads.
Yeah. Make 47 four lanes each way from 55-347 and 347-83.

SteveG1988

This should have been brought up right after sandy. If they wanted to make the biggest case for it, they should have done it then.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SteveG1988 on August 14, 2015, 11:00:00 PM
This should have been brought up right after sandy. If they wanted to make the biggest case for it, they should have done it then.

Sandy struck in October and people had plenty of notice. The storm really impacted NJ well north of this area. And all the attention was given to the shore resorts that saw entire roads washed out. The roads were permitted to be rebuilt on an as-was basis...NJDOT wasn't allowed to quickly make a 4 lane roadway where a 2 lane road was previously located, for example.

Since the Cumberland and Cape May County areas were largely unaffected traffic-wise, there would've been no point to bring up Route 55 then.  It didn't prohibit anyone from evacuating or otherwise avoiding the storm, and any talk would've been lost with the bigger problems the state faced at the time. 

Sandy is a great example of why we need a better route to the southern shore area and now would probably be a better time to talk about it. I just don't expect much discussion to continue beyond what was already said, other than mentioning things that are already in the works, such as more VMSs & cameras.

Mr. Matté

Perhaps there should be new ideas like instead of car travel, why not water travel through plants as was previously proposed by these guys?

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 15, 2015, 08:26:28 AM
Perhaps there should be new ideas like instead of car travel, why not water travel through plants as was previously proposed by these guys?

You know what would be interesting? A train that could carry cars on it.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

SteveG1988

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 15, 2015, 07:58:51 AM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on August 14, 2015, 11:00:00 PM

Sandy struck in October and people had plenty of notice. The storm really impacted NJ well north of this area. And all the attention was given to the shore resorts that saw entire roads washed out. The roads were permitted to be rebuilt on an as-was basis...NJDOT wasn't allowed to quickly make a 4 lane roadway where a 2 lane road was previously located, for example.

Since the Cumberland and Cape May County areas were largely unaffected traffic-wise, there would've been no point to bring up Route 55 then.  It didn't prohibit anyone from evacuating or otherwise avoiding the storm, and any talk would've been lost with the bigger problems the state faced at the time. 

Sandy is a great example of why we need a better route to the southern shore area and now would probably be a better time to talk about it. I just don't expect much discussion to continue beyond what was already said, other than mentioning things that are already in the works, such as more VMSs & cameras.

I was just saying that if they wanted to push for it, they could have piggybacked on an event like that. "this time we got out safely, but what if we need to do it faster?"

The only way i see it going forward is as an elevated expressway, or route it a little bit north, branch it off somewhere else and have it go along the NJ50 route.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

It'll still be going thru the Pinelands though.

The long-proposed route goes thru the least amount of developed land, but there's a park down there that people like apparently.

What's ironic about the headline is that this route actually goes nowhere near Cape May, but closer to the Sea Isle City area. The lawmakers probably aren't even aware of that little fact.

The Ghostbuster

This is a pipe dream that will never be implemented. In fact, like Connecticut, I doubt New Jersey will ever build a new freeway again.

bzakharin

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 17, 2015, 03:05:55 PM
This is a pipe dream that will never be implemented. In fact, like Connecticut, I doubt New Jersey will ever build a new freeway again.
Don't forget that NJ-133 was completed as recently as 1999 and in its final form in 2006. Of course the scale of that project was a bit smaller...

odditude

Quote from: bzakharin on August 17, 2015, 05:13:54 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 17, 2015, 03:05:55 PM
Don't forget that NJ-133 was completed as recently as 1999 and in its final form in 2006. Of course the scale of that project was a bit smaller...
or that 18 is being extended north, for that matter.

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 17, 2015, 03:25:56 PM
Try extending it over NJ 47 and US 9 - that ends it in Atlantic City.
...what?

J Route Z

noelbotevera doesn't know what he's talking about.

noelbotevera

Quote from: J Route Z on August 17, 2015, 08:17:09 PM
noelbotevera.exe has stopped working
noelbotevera.exe remembers
.exe deletes post
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

roadman65

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 17, 2015, 08:57:02 PM
.exe deletes post
I am surprised NE 2 had not chimed in yet with his "what."
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on August 17, 2015, 11:19:35 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on August 17, 2015, 08:57:02 PM
.exe deletes post
I am surprised NE 2 had not chimed in yet with his "what."

The paralyzing shock has to wear off first.

PHLBOS

What's interesting is that the mile markers (and exit numbers) along NJ 55 still give a hint of a southern extension despite such not becoming reality anytime soon.  The starting mile marker at the NJ 47 intersection is MM 20.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 18, 2015, 11:05:19 AM
What's interesting is that the mile markers (and exit numbers) along NJ 55 still give a hint of a southern extension despite such not becoming reality anytime soon.  The starting mile marker at the NJ 47 intersection is MM 20.
I'd assume it's pointless to confuse everybody and waste money by shifting mile markers and exit numbers for no reason. A similar situation exists at the southern terminus of NJ 18 which will probably never get extended either.

Alps

Quote from: DJStephens on August 30, 2015, 05:22:50 PM
Transpiration?? or Transportation?  Believe transpiration is the process by which plants "breathe" or release waste moisture and oxygen.  Anyhow, tens or even hundreds of millions could be spent to move a relative handful of people with transit "options" in a less than densely populated area.  Has anyone asked Gov. Chris Christie what he thinks of the possibility?  Or Snookie, for that matter?   
Whatever hole you crawled out of that made you decide NJ is anything like Jersey Shore, go back into the hole and please stop transpiring (releasing waste) at us.

ctrabs74

Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 15, 2015, 08:26:28 AM

Two things:

1. The idiots at nj.com need to hire a spell checker.
2. The powers that be in New Jersey don't give a damn about any part of the state south of 195, especially NJ Transit.

jeffandnicole

Honestly, nearly every news site out there needs a spell checker.  Or grammar checker.  Or just a once-thru proofread. 

And hey, we have the Riverline.  What more do you want?? LOL

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.