Gore flashers: Anyplace outside of NY City and NJ use them?

Started by roadman65, December 29, 2015, 01:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I grew up in NJ and always noticed the gore flashers either flash simultaneously or alternatively at certain exit ramps.  Predomintanly along the Pulaski Skyway with its left exits used them at South Kearny and Broadway ramps, as well as the former lane drop southbound on US 1 & 9 at the Elizabeth Avenue Exit so that motorists would not hit the viaduct itself.

In NYC it would be overhead with yellow arrows instead of NJ's yellow balls on short poles or attached to the light poles.  Anyplace else in the US or Canada that uses them?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2015, 01:16:17 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/93fxtraRrST2

In NJ, although part of the DRPA's jurisdiction.
No doubt on the Walt Whitman Bridge hence NJ having an exit number over 300 miles.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on December 29, 2015, 01:47:07 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2015, 01:16:17 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/93fxtraRrST2

In NJ, although part of the DRPA's jurisdiction.
No doubt on the Walt Whitman Bridge hence NJ having an exit number over 300 miles.

Yeah that's a dead giveaway right there.

Mohkfry

There's one in the Miller Beach neighborhood of Gary Indiana where two lanes split to go around a bridge pier. The lanes join up again after the bridge. Other than that they're non existent in Indiana, at least in the Northwest district.

Rothman

I'm pretty sure I-91 had exit gore flashers somewhere in Springfield, MA before the ramp switcheroo project was done.  Looks like they're gone now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JakeFromNewEngland

On I-95 SB through Bridgeport there is a gore flasher for Exit 27A (CT 8/CT 25 North). There's also one on I-95 NB for Exit 28.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SignGeek101

I recall seeing them occasionally in Ontario, but don't remember where.

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Ace10

Portland, Oregon has them in a few places:

I-405 SB to I-5

I-5 NB to I-84/US 30 EB

I-84/US 30 WB to I-5, and further up the I-5 NB ramp before the exit to Convention Center/Rose Quarter

They're pretty helpful as traffic can be very heavy with lots of drivers changing lanes in the downtown area, and many times one has to move from one side of the freeway to another to reach their intended exit.

PurdueBill

Massachusetts interchanges used to be unusual if they did NOT have flashing lights at the gore point.  Yesterday on a news report about the wild weather they showed a clip of some highway somewhere and I knew it was in Mass before they said anything not because of any signs or anything but because of the gore flashers!  They have dwindled over time but a few strongholds exist.

Goodwin Circle is part of the big 128/95/1/129 tangle and has tons of flashers--for traffic in the circle or even entering the circle, and the rest of the interchange features plenty of flashers too...and as you can see, they are maintained and replaced if knocked down.  Really special gores may get double wigwag flashers.  (After all, this particular one was once ON I-95 itself before the interchange in Peabody was completed.)
Even ramps from mainline may get flashers too occasionally, especially in an older interchange like this one.

Vertical double flashers once were more common in Mass at median splits on roads intersecting expressways, often without a Keep Right sign even.  As seen here, the controller box is always off the road/away from the gore point on its own pole; sometimes it is left behind when a flasher goes away for good.

The gore flasher party is largely over in Mass but like I said, there are a few strongholds that really give their interchanges some character!

Akron, Ohio had a one-off set at Exit 22A on I-76 WB which disappeared a couple years ago; they were the only such gore point flashers I can think of in town on an expressway.

MASTERNC

PA Turnpike had an example WB at the Bedford exit.  It is a bit odd because the flashers are just before the ramp (on the side of the road) rather than at the gore point, and there are two sets.

I think they may have been removed recently, though

https://goo.gl/maps/tvSZbz1WZaH2

Bitmapped

I-76/I-77 through Akron, OH used to have gore flashers at some interchanges, but I think they were gone the last time I was through there.

DrSmith

Connecticut has a bunch associated with exit ramps that are located on a bridge.

Alex

I recall them being used on a surface street in Rochester, NY in the early 1990s. Might have been on a bridge along East Main Street.

thenetwork

Quote from: Bitmapped on December 29, 2015, 10:22:50 PM
I-76/I-77 through Akron, OH used to have gore flashers at some interchanges, but I think they were gone the last time I was through there.

The only one I recall was westbound I-76/northbound I-77 at the Main Street/Broadway exit.  If it's not gone yet, it will be soon as they plan to redo that whole interchange.

cl94

There are a bunch Upstate. NYSDOT has a few scattered around on expressways, while the City of Buffalo and NYSDOT have them where  a bridge pier is in the gore or separates two flush lanes.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

TheHighwayMan3561

There are a couple on I-35 in Duluth at the I-535/US 53 exits, although I think they're inactive during the day. I think there's also one at the Mesaba Avenue exit immediately north of 535.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Jovet

I have never heard of or seen this practice before. 

But I vote for flashing green signals for this use versus amber, as long as there are two+ signal heads. 
Joseph
[Jovet]

PurdueBill

Quote from: thenetwork on December 30, 2015, 12:59:44 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on December 29, 2015, 10:22:50 PM

The only one I recall was westbound I-76/northbound I-77 at the Main Street/Broadway exit.  If it's not gone yet, it will be soon as they plan to redo that whole interchange.

That one disappeared a couple years ago.  It survived the sign replacement in the stretch but disappeared before the bridges on that stretch lost their original railings and had them replaced with thrie rails.  The crash cushion at the gore remained unchanged as I recall.

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

jeffandnicole

There was also a nice gore flasher here for decades, where the AC Expressway splits from Rt. 42.  https://goo.gl/maps/yfKKnkD3osE2 They got hit one time.  NJDOT (or the AC Expressway) replaced it, and before it even had a chance to be lit, it got hit again.  They replaced it with what you see in the pic instead.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.