News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The LA Rams are back

Started by cl94, January 12, 2016, 09:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

I figured it would be either that or the Rose Bowl.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Buck87

Yeah, it been widely reported since the announcement of the Rams move that they would almost certainly end up in the Coliseum. I don't think it's been 100% confirmed just yet, but I'd be shocked if it didn't happen.

As for the Rose Bowl, back in July they voted against the possibility of hosting any NFL teams in 2016 or beyond. Not sure if they could go back and change that if they wanted too.

It'll be interesting to see what happens regarding temporary stadiums if a second team moves to L.A. And on that note, the Chargers will begin formal negotiations with the Rams tomorrow regarding a possible partnership or lease.

cl94

Quote from: Buck87 on January 17, 2016, 09:38:10 PM
Yeah, it been widely reported since the announcement of the Rams move that they would almost certainly end up in the Coliseum. I don't think it's been 100% confirmed just yet, but I'd be shocked if it didn't happen.

As for the Rose Bowl, back in July they voted against the possibility of hosting any NFL teams in 2016 or beyond. Not sure if they could go back and change that if they wanted too.

It'll be interesting to see what happens regarding temporary stadiums if a second team moves to L.A. And on that note, the Chargers will begin formal negotiations with the Rams tomorrow regarding a possible partnership or lease.

It has not been confirmed. It is widely believed that they'll be in the Coliseum. While they spent their last 14 LA years in Angel Stadium, I don't picture them returning. I do wonder, though, if they'll try and do some quick renovations. Wouldn't be the first time a football stadium underwent a major offseason renovation.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

The Nature Boy

Why would the Rams want the Chargers as a tenant? I imagine that you'd want the LA market to yourself for at least the first year so you can get fan support.

cl94

Quote from: The Nature Boy on January 18, 2016, 12:15:09 AM
Why would the Rams want the Chargers as a tenant? I imagine that you'd want the LA market to yourself for at least the first year so you can get fan support.

Money. Also, the market is so large that it could theoretically support two teams. Look at the Jets and Giants.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Buck87

Quote from: cl94 on January 17, 2016, 11:50:16 PM
I do wonder, though, if they'll try and do some quick renovations. Wouldn't be the first time a football stadium underwent a major offseason renovation.

USC was already planning on doing $270 million in renovations, and are just looking for funding to do it. They're hoping having the Rams there will help them pay for it. It'll be interesting to see what gets done prior to this season kicking off...and it looks like the stadium lighting is the biggest thing they'll need to do for sure (due to the NFL having certain standards for lighting)

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/uscnow/la-sp-sn-haden-usc-nfl-rams-coliseum-20160113-story.html

Pete from Boston

I'm curious how the new suspended camera wires would be strung in a stadium that is just a big bowl. 

The Nature Boy

It has not been confirmed. It is widely believed that they'll be in the Coliseum. While they spent their last 14 LA years in Angel Stadium, I don't picture them returning. I do wonder, though, if they'll try and do some quick renovations. Wouldn't be the first time a football stadium underwent a major offseason renovation.

It has been confirmed. I can't directly link to it but go to the FAQ section on this site http://welcomehomerams.com/.

hm insulators

I was a big Rams fan when I was growing up and living in L.A., and so was my late father (to this day, I can still hear him yelling "STUPID RAMS!" at the TV every other play and I used to joke that if I ever got a parrot, the first thing I would teach it to say would be "Stupid Rams!"). When the team moved to St. Louis, I couldn't relate to them in a city 1500 miles away and lost interest.

Now that they're back in my home city, would I root for them again? Yes, under two conditions: A: they put a quality team on the field (and that might be on the way if they can get a decent quarterback), and B: get rid of that horrid shade of gold  :no: :no: :no: on the "rams' horns" design on the helmets and go back to the brighter shade of yellow they had in the '70s and '80s. Shoot, even white--I remember when the Rams had white horns on the helmets! :nod:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Pete from Boston

Appropriate for this board, from The Onion:

Traffic Already Lining Up To Be Late To L.A. Rams' Opening Game

cl94

Quote from: The Nature Boy on January 18, 2016, 02:24:54 PM

It has been confirmed. I can't directly link to it but go to the FAQ section on this site http://welcomehomerams.com/.

That is new. Everything I had seen up to this point had not confirmed.
Quote from: Buck87 on January 18, 2016, 01:49:19 PM
I do wonder, though, if they'll try and do some quick renovations. Wouldn't be the first time a football stadium underwent a major offseason renovation.

USC was already planning on doing $270 million in renovations, and are just looking for funding to do it. They're hoping having the Rams there will help them pay for it. It'll be interesting to see what gets done prior to this season kicking off...and it looks like the stadium lighting is the biggest thing they'll need to do for sure (due to the NFL having certain standards for lighting)

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/uscnow/la-sp-sn-haden-usc-nfl-rams-coliseum-20160113-story.html

The Bills did a large renovation during the 2014 offseason. Redid concourses, added press boxes, major electrical upgrades, new scoreboards, and more. Much of that was done after the snow went away. If they start within the next month or so, they'll have plenty of time.

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 18, 2016, 03:29:49 PM
Appropriate for this board, from The Onion:

Traffic Already Lining Up To Be Late To L.A. Rams' Opening Game

Ha! That's like the joke about the Dodgers. Everyone shows up in the 2nd or 3rd inning and is gone by the end of the 7th.

Desert Man

WB, Rams! You missed the huge (Nation's 2nd largest) fan market, year-round great climate and Hollywood celebrity stardom, huh? I'm keeping up on whether the Chargers will move to L.A. and local sports fans in San Diego remember losing major and minor league sports to L.A. before. I'm not sure the Raiders will have room between two other teams, did the NFL rejected the Raiders' plan to play in Carson's new stadium?
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Desert Man on February 07, 2016, 03:02:43 PMI'm keeping up on whether the Chargers will move to L.A. and local sports fans in San Diego remember losing major and minor league sports to L.A. before.

You mean like L.A. lost the Chargers to San Diego in 1961?

US71

Rams still owe for their stadium (no wait: taxpayers will still pay for it, even though there's no one playing in it)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bing101

jakeroot

Quote from: bing101 on March 28, 2016, 03:47:05 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/los-angeles-rams-billboard-st-louis-032816

Heres a billboard for the Rams.

It's worth noting that it's not an official billboard. I don't think the NFL would permit billboards like that.

triplemultiplex

That'll show St. Louis for not building them a new stadium even though they are still paying for the existing stadium. :pan:

Max Rockatansky

I find it amusing how few people in Oakland and San Diego seem to care about losing their teams, it's something that I could never figure out after all these years on the west coast.  There would have been a riot in the streets in Detroit, Boston, New York or Chicago if any of those teams even talked about moving.  I'm not sure what the appeal is to the L.A. market considering how they literally couldn't hang onto a team in the past.  I would really enjoy seeing a new market like Las Vegas, Salt Lake City or Portland be a destination for a team.

Henry

San Antonio is also in play, and the Raiders are a lame duck in Oakland. We'll see if the Chargers are able to secure a new stadium in San Diego.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Desert Man

The Rams acquired the #1 NFL Draft pick away from the Titans, which is a sure sign of a great season to come for the Rams if they have the best rookie money can buy.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

dvferyance

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 29, 2016, 10:41:26 PM
That'll show St. Louis for not building them a new stadium even though they are still paying for the existing stadium. :pan:
They didn't need a new stadium the one they have is only 21 years old. A stadium replacement should even be in discussion until a stadium is at least 30 years old.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: dvferyance on June 02, 2016, 09:53:33 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 29, 2016, 10:41:26 PM
They didn't need a new stadium the one they have is only 21 years old. A stadium replacement should even be in discussion until a stadium is at least 30 years old.
Exactly my point.

Desert Man

California: the state of champions, has the Rams back and tries to keep the Raiders. Recently, the state added new arena football, NBDL (NBA's development teams), World Team Tennis, Pro Rugby (San Francisco and Sacramento), Natl Lacrosse (only in L.A.) and MLS teams.

History of these leagues in CA:
Arena Football: LA Cobras (1980s), Anaheim Piranhas (1990s), LA Express (2000s) and LA Kiss in Anaheim (2010s), San Jose Sabercats (since 1995), and briefly AF2 teams in Bakersfield, Fresno, San Diego and Stockton.

NBDL: LA D-fenders (played in Ontario CA and now in the parent club Lakers training camp in El Segundo near LA), Anaheim Arsenal, Bakersfield Jam, Long Beach Clippers, Reno Bighorns (still around, owned by the Kings) and Santa Cruz Warriors (still around, owned by the parent club).

World Team Tennis: Anaheim Oranges, LA/Sacramento Lacers, Newport Beach Dukes, Orange County Breakers (still around), and current teams the Sacramento/California Dream and San Diego Aviators. I would like Palm Springs area get one in the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, but the summer is too hot, how about a winter league with teams in Las Vegas and Scottsdale Az?

And back on topic, the L.A. Rams is thought as the first major league sports team in CA when it arrived in L.A. in 1945, then departed for 2 decades in 1995 and returned to L.A. Actually, the earlier pro football L.A. Dons in the 1930s was the first "professional" sports team and the SF 49ers started in 1946 before they were in the NFL. In 1941 just a week before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, the AL baseball St. Louis Browns decided to relocate to L.A., but the war made them stay for 12 seasons until they relocated to Baltimore to become the Orioles.

dvferyance

Quote from: The Nature Boy on January 18, 2016, 12:15:09 AM
I highly doubt the Chargers are moving to LA. Why would they want to?

triplemultiplex

Quote from: dvferyance on September 20, 2016, 11:36:58 AM
I highly doubt the Chargers are moving to LA. Why would they want to?

Because San Diego won't give the whiny little brats a brand new stadium; same as every other team.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.